Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I use the plug-ins, not because I'm trying to hide something (I've had people come to my house where I apologize for the mess, and have had them shake their heads and say, "OMG, you are *so* ex-military, this place is spotless!"), but just simply because I enjoy the scent. (I like scented candles, too.)

However, when I was selling my old house, my realtor told me to ditch the plug-ins, most people didn't like them, and it made folk suspicious. I figure I'm paying him for his expertise, soooo.....I removed the plug-ins while I was selling the house, and aired it out to get rid of any lingering scents. House sold in 24 hours.

I moved into my new house, and put the plug-ins there. Again, because I like them.

But I also don't have one in every single room of the house (I spread them out), and I also don't 'mix scents'--if I have vanilla in one room, I have it in the other room.

And you do have to be mindful. I did remove one from a room because even as much as I liked it, it was too overpowering. I like the scents to be light and relaxing, not feel like I took a bath in perfume.
The way I see it it's no different than me using body sprays after I shower. I like the scent. It doesn't mean that I didn't bathe it means I like smelling like a particular scent. The cleanest homes have smells. New homes have smells. Vacant home smells. We breathe in noxious scents whether we want to or not. Many public restrooms often have fresheners of some sort and if something lists "fragrance" on its ingredient list chances are its on the no no list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
I remember reading that about 20% or more of people are bothered physically by air fresheners and other chemical fragrances. That doesn't even include the people who despise them.

That seems about right based on my experience at work with employees complaining and also among people I know.

Seems kind of silly to be turning off 1 out of 4 or 5 potential buyers....maybe more.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:58 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
I hate all kinds of scent dispensing stuff.
Plus my husband is allergic to oris, which is a chemical that used in a lot of things to keep scents strong and long-lasting. Too much will send him into coughing fits.
And I agree - one in every room looks like you're covering up some bad stuff.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:03 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
I like to dab essential oils (Lavender) on my duster when I dust, because I like the smell and it relaxes me because it is a spa-like scent. I don't like perfume-y or chemical smells, but this is something I do routinely because it pleases me. The smell dissipates after dusting, so it is not a constant like a plug-in would be. I am not looking to sell, but just wonder if this is an acceptable smell compared to the plug-in thing (thinking more on the lines of guests, etc.). I like it and I'm not covering anything up, but just wondering how others might react the the scent.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:19 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
When I clean my house, it smells like furniture oil and the stuff I mop the floor with and the chemicals I use in the bathroom. I don't think that's any different than using an air freshener. I also use candle warmers to add scent to the house because some scents make me happy. I don't have them in every room, but I have one in each bathroom, the living room and the kitchen. I use them when I have guests because some of my guests don't smell that fresh (my parents don't shower often enough).

The cat in the house would be a bigger issue for me than the air fresheners. I couldn't live in a house where a cat had lived before. I can't even visit a house with a cat without having to get a steroid shot afterwards. We bought our house new because most of the houses we looked at had something that set off my allergies...cat or mold or something I couldn't identify.

I get migraines from some scents, but it's not one certain scent that triggers the migraine, it's a big variety. Sometimes I can't tell if a scent will bother me until I start using it, and then I get a migraine that lasts several days. I wouldn't expect everyone I know to avoid all scents on the off chance that it would trigger my migraine, though.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
We use three in our house.

One on the main floor in the room adjacent to the front door. We rarely USE the front door, but we like it to be pleasant when people walk in. We usually use a fruit scent like apple or pineapple in that room.

My daughter is going through puberty right now, and her room STINKS, so she has one in her room. Usually something soothing like lavender, or clean-smelling like white cotton (fresh laundry). Once my son hits puberty, we'll use one in his room too.

The third one currently in use is in our master bedroom, simply because we like them - not to cover up any odors. In that one we usually put the random scents that have interesting names.

If we were selling our home (which we're not) we'd probably keep the one near the front door, but get rid of the others while the house was on the market.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
If you are trying to sell your home-might consider getting rid of the plug-ins.

We were in the market to buy a home the past few months, still might be who knows yet. Two homes we went into in 45' and 48' had those disgusting plug-ins and they had one in every room!

It is not only disgusting and polluting to people like us, but can be a sign you are covering up a smell.

In our case we had to run out of the two homes within 3 minutes because we could not breathe.

What was also scary was each home had a cat, and one of the homes seemed to have a child live there.

What future health issues might your family (including pets) get from choosing to put these chemicals in your proximity to breathe 24 hours a day. The poor cat's head is level with the stuff!

Since you obviously don't plan on using the plug-ins once you own the house, why make such a fuss about them being used when the house isn't even yours??

Old 04-08-2016, 10:33 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Since you obviously don't plan on using the plug-ins once you own the house, why make such a fuss about them being used when the house isn't even yours??
Well, as I posted earlier, when I sold my old house about four months ago, my realtor advised that I needed to get rid of the plug-ins while I was showing the house. He advised that public perception does seem to be that the sellers are trying to hide something when they do this. Since he's been selling houses for about 30 years, I tend to presume he must know what he's talking about.

And it has been discussed that's not necessarily what people are doing with the plug-ins....but if you're wanting to sell your house, is it worth the fight to keep them if this is what most people *think*? To me, the answer was no. I wanted to sell my house more than I wanted my Glade plug-ins, so I took them out while I was showing the house.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:24 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
I still remember looking at a house which was perfectly lovely but... The owners had cooked themselves sausage for breakfast and some other unpalatable stuff and the house smelled so bad, I couldn't stay in it to see the upstairs. It was nauseating. If you are selling and have a showing scheduled, eat out somewhere.

My girlfriend and I were looking at model homes. There was a stone pathway from the first, to the second, to the third house. So we followed the pathway and after looking at the first two models, walked up and entered the third "model home.". We opened the door and walk in. Something wasn't right. Standing in the foyer, we hear Little Wally polka music playing, a partially furnished living room in disarray, with a Hamtramck style lamp on a table, and then realized we were smelling fresh Polish kielbasa cooking. First, I thought "yum!"...then I thought "Yikes! We have walked into somebody's house!" Apparently not a model anymore. We promptly left. These was model homes in Shelby Township just off of 25 Mile Rd on one of those lakes. We chuckled over that experience for years.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 04-08-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 01:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Plug ins make me immediately suspicious. Water leaks, a wet mildewy basement are the first thoughts that come to mind. There are better more subtle ways to deodorize a house. I smoke like a fiend. But I've sold many homes to smokerphobics with them never suspecting a thing. Anything but a plug in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate