Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,966 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have a legal question to those in NJ regarding a recent experience I had in trying to purchase a home in NJ.

I made an offer on a single family home last Sunday knowing the sellers just accepted an offer with another buyer. My understanding is the offer was under attorney review when my offer came in so I tried breaking the existing deal by offering a purchase price significantly above what was currently on the table.

In doing so, I succeeded in getting the sellers to accept my offer and they subsequently signed off on my contract this past Wednesday only to find out the first contract with original buyers was never cancelled out. I have documented emails showing the agent and seller having 2 fully executed contracts for the same property at the same time.

And this is where things get messy-

After speaking with my attorney yesterday, he sends out an email to the seller attorney acknowledging receipt of my contract and his disapproval with the terms. He mentions in the email that a formal rider will be forthcoming on Monday. Interestingly enough, I receive a call from the sellers agent (I'm a licensed real estate agent representing myself) accusing me of stalling. Ultimately we get into a heated argument and tells me she's going to kill my offer with the sellers. Low and behold I receive an email from my attorney 1 hour later stating the property just concluded attorney review and ours would be back up. There where only 2 offers on this property and I have a documented email from the seller agent stating: 1. Previous contract was cancelled 2. Seller attorney didn't kill the contract with previous buyer until they heard from my lawyer first.

My question to everyone... Is this legal in the state of NJ to enter into AR with 2 fully executed contracts for 2 different buyers at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 06:00 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
You have an attorney. Should he or she be able to answer this? People on this forum cannot offer you legal advice.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:05 AM

Yes and I'd like to hear what others think of the situation based on their knowledge

Old 05-21-2016, 06:35 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyer1777 View Post

My question to everyone... Is this legal in the state of NJ to enter into AR with 2 fully executed contracts for 2 different buyers at the same time?
A contract isnt fully executed until you are out of attorney review. Sounds like you never got your contract fully executed. Might as well keep looking. But honestly, this is a question for your lawyer. If you don't trust your lawyer, you may want to consult another.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:01 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
I"m no attorney but have been forced to study some contract basics for my job and a contract needs offer, acceptance and consideration (that's a fancy word for money) to be complete.

Doesn't seem like you had all those elements, so not sure your terminology of "fully executed" is correct.

But it makes no sense that you wouldn't just ask your attorney and trust what they say. Maybe you don't understand what s/he is telling you and are embarrassed to ask for clarification? It's their job to make sure you understand what is going on here.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:42 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,616,978 times
I'm curious about the power that seller's agent has to "kill" your deal that appears to have already been in play. Have you contacted her supervising broker?

Old 05-21-2016, 07:47 AM

953 posts, read 842,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I"m no attorney but have been forced to study some contract basics for my job and a contract needs offer, acceptance and consideration (that's a fancy word for money) to be complete.
Professor Charles W. Kingsfield, Jr. ("The Paper Chase") would be proud.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:09 PM

I contacted the broker and they are investigating. When I say fully executed, both buyer and seller signatures are on the contract.

I do trust my attorney and wanted other opinions since it's weekend and attorneys are closed. This way I can have a more informed conversation on Monday.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:14 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyer1777 View Post
I contacted the broker and they are investigating. When I say fully executed, both buyer and seller signatures are on the contract.

I do trust my attorney and wanted other opinions since it's weekend and attorneys are closed. This way I can have a more informed conversation on Monday.

Yea so that doesnt mean you are under contract. You have to exit attorney review first and in NJ during attorney review any party can walk away for any reason they wish. Thats why its so important to get out of attorney review quickly.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:15 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,573 times
Not an lawyer here, but it seems to me your contract isn't valid unless they cancelled the first one with the other party. An email saying they did so doesn't mean they really did it. A seller has to be able to sell it to you for it to be valid. If they are in a contract with someone else then they are not able to do so.

To me this just sounds like really sloppy work on the part of the selling agent. You do not handle getting back up offers in this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate