Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i love it would do it in a heartbeat.
quiet never interrupt when you are speaking
excellent grounds maintenance
parties are always low key.
great business people
flawless in their work never any mistakes
their motto as business people
hope you will come back for a long and peaceful stay
remember here there is always room for one more.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/bunky39/tombstone-clipartthumbnail1.gif?t=1203744115 (broken link)
LOL! You forgot some others like, unconditional love, never argues back, their opinion of you are constant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 PM

7 posts, read 16,299 times
I've worked at a cemetery and have found it to be a very peaceful, nature park like atmosphere. I've seen rabbits, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, possums, and about any native bird, including geese. I even saw a badger and a fox one time each, which was pretty cool. At our cemetery, there's one headstone from a person born in 1780, which is pretty neat if you think about all the people who have come and gone and all the events which have taken place during all that time.

As for the mowing, weed eating, etc, we did a section per day, during the weekdays, and between 8am-4:30pm, when most people are at work. The place was pretty big, so any given area would be done only once every 1-2 weeks. We would only work weekends if there was a funeral, and that would not involve loud equipment.

I've also lived 1/2 a block from a cemetery for 10 years. I've never notice a noise problem, and traffic for funerals is pretty rare. For a town of over 15,000 people, it's amazing that we only get a funeral maybe once every 1-2 weeks.

As for ghosts, etc, that will only bother someone if they have a very active imagination or a phobia or something. My kids and I have walked through the cemetery often, and it can be peaceful, fun and educational if you make it so, or it could be scary if someone was to choose to make it a negative experience for their kids.

It is also nice knowing the cemetery will never be converted into a parking lot or low income housing or a loud race track or something else which would negatively effect quality of life or property values.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 PM

775 posts, read 579,164 times
Nice post, Eddie

Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 PM

237 posts, read 967,725 times
Hi Everyone, thanks for your opinions. It is real old the 1700's so Im sure no one is visiting anymore. Its very small just looks like someones yard. The people that live there now said there kids use to play football there when they where younger. There is alot of open space because there is ledge there so then couldnt bury throughtout the cemetary. Also there will be no more people buried there. I called and found that out. So I dont have to worry about the smell. Its actually very interesting the first black soilder was buried there I was told. Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
Hi Everyone, thanks for your opinions. It is real old the 1700's so Im sure no one is visiting anymore. Its very small just looks like someones yard. The people that live there now said there kids use to play football there when they where younger. There is alot of open space because there is ledge there so then couldnt bury throughtout the cemetary. Also there will be no more people buried there. I called and found that out. So I dont have to worry about the smell. Its actually very interesting the first black soilder was buried there I was told. Thanks again.
Good luck Mindie! Some cemetaries can be very charming and even educational. For example, New Orleans and some historic cemetaries. I guess it's the way you look at it. Don't mind the jokes...we all need to laugh a little at life.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:57 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
See this link and scroll down to the third picture to see the cemetery here. This was a couple of years ago. This is what I see out our kitchen window only from a mile distance. As the road goes not the crow flying.

We have rabbits deer elk cows and a bratty lama that gets out visit the cemetery.

http://mail.ctcweb.net/~shadesofidaho/Shades-Of-Idaho-ME.HTML (broken link)

I think you will enjoy living next to a cemetery.

Chris

Old 02-23-2008, 08:15 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Sounds really nice. We have a lot of those in Jersey, usually old family plots.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Hi, I found a house I love but its next to a real small 1700 cemetary. Pretty much your next door neighbor is the cemetary. Would that spook you? Of course my friend said the house must have ghost!! What do you think??
would it spook me, yes it would without a doubt. it would also be the reason why i would cross the house off my list. As much as I hate to say it because I just can't understand why anyone would do it, I would be concerned about people going in and tipping over grave stones and well kids/adults causing problems or having parties in there.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 AM

739 posts, read 2,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
willdufauve, We buried close to 100 people in the years we worked for the cemetery district and the only time there was odor was before they were in the ground. And that not very often. Very faint. Once an old grave caved in big time and there was odor until we filled it back up. We filled it just as SOON as we saw it. Like RIGHT NOW!!

Chris
I'm not an expert on cemeteries, but I use to go walking in a cemetery in Amherst, Mass. because I liked the peace and quiet and the old shade trees. This one time the summer sun was getting to me so I stopped for a rest under a huge oak tree.

All of a sudden this sickly sweet smell hit me, like extremely strong flowers, but I think it was a scented formaldehyde. I realized I was standing next to a grave, looked at the headstone, it was dated a few months earlier and grass was already growing on it. The smell was so strong I'll never forget it.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 AM

237 posts, read 967,725 times
All of a sudden this sickly sweet smell hit me, like extremely strong flowers, but I think it was a scented formaldehyde. I realized I was standing next to a grave, looked at the headstone, it was dated a few months earlier and grass was already growing on it. The smell was so strong I'll never forget it.

I dont think I would smell that smell. This cemetary is from the 1700's and no one else can be buried there anymore. I dont think we will have a problem with kids partying because its real wide open with no trees. its not even 1/2 acre. thanks for everyones responses. I think i will suck it up and grow up and not be afraid because it is such a beautiful house and a great price!! MINDY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate