Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryDriver123 View Post

Guess I will be carrying a firearm.
I hope this post doesn't become an exhibit in a murder trial. This pretty much proves premeditation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:44 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Well, there may be too many real estate agents...but this probably isn't the best way to handle that.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:29 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Respectfully, you need to get a grip.

You're selling a house. There are going to be agents coming to your house. Brandishing a firearm every time someone knocks on the door is probably not a warm and cozy selling strategy -- just sayin'

The other option is to simply politely tell the unexpected agent, "I'm so sorry, but we were not told to expect a showing and we aren't ready. Please call my agent to reschedule." The agent may protest, but it's your house.

I think you and your agent need to be clear on how showings are announced -- do agents call you for a showing appointment? Or do they call your agent? Pick a method and stick with it.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:00 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
KWW.

Hmmmm.... The agent came from a company that begins with the initials KW.....
Well, Keller Williams has the largest number of agents in the country (over 130,000) -- so the odds that it's a KW agent are probably a bit higher than normal . . . :-)

Old 03-05-2017, 10:18 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
WOW!!

This is clearly a mistake on your realtor!! I would make sure to have a talk with him & let him know you expect a call EVERY time someone is to be in the home! NO exceptions!

We had our home listed last year. Had a showing scheduled for 3pm. At 1pm there was one knock on my door & as I'm walking to answer it a realtor opens the door and walks in! I'm like, excuse me, who are you & why are you letting yourself in my home unannounced? The couple looked mortified! The realtor says, "Oh, we're your 3:00 showing but we're early". I tell her, OK that's fine, but I didn't get a call saying you would be early & you knocked once and let yourself in. That's unacceptable! She says, I called your realtor. I ask when, she says.....Right before I came in! REALLY???

Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
So no one gave the buyer agent permission it sounds like.

Sounds like the agent then just came of his own volition.

Did you say you got the agent's name? Otherwise what does 'looking into it' mean.

You're not in an off the grid area it looks like so the expectation would not necessarily be that there would be weapons for buyers to deal with. And there have been discussions on here about many areas where people not only drive by slowly and take pix but actually park, get out and walk around the property and look in the windows of the houses. And apparently in those areas it is common practice.

Fortunately, not in areas I've lived in. Not a fan of the pop-in by strangers myself.

Let your listing agent know you have weapons and are not familiar or comfortable with people just showing up on your property so can he/she suggest a suitable means of arranging showings.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:10 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Recently I saw a nanny-cam of a Realtor who entered a home for sale alone and then went through closets and cupboards stealing medications. I don't blame the OP for being frightened of an unannounced visitor particularly if there have been burglaries in the area. That person could have been looking for guns as well.

I say lock the house up tight, don't open the door to anyone without an appointment. Put a sign on the door to say showings by appointment through your Realtor only and put that in writing with your Realtor. A buyer's Realtor should have your contact numbers if they need/want to reschedule an appointment. The house may take longer to sell but you need to be safe.

FWIW we sold our home on Bainbridge Island a few years ago and didn't have any coordination issues with our Realtor.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
I hate to think of what would have happened if I had had a firearm with me.
The home is for sale. Although it's inconsiderate, you should expect that there might be times when people stop by unannounced. I would hope that even if you're armed, you would ask questions before firing off a shot.

Quote:
Why? This person meant you no harm. If you're this jittery and jumpy, I'd suggest leaving the firearms locked in the safe.

Contact your agent and tell them about the drop-by and that you always require some type of notice first. You could also have it advertised that it's shown by appointment only.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
We also saw that video of the sales person taking meds, and another one where the sales people were using the sellers home as a cheap motel in the afternoon, so I would also be concerned. Real estate sales does not have a higher education requirement so you don't know what you will get when they show up. For Sale By Owner and good real estate lawyer will save you lots of money and frustration.

Instead using a gun which will only cause you problems, just come to the door naked!

Old 03-05-2017, 11:37 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I know in my area we have different types of showings.

Vacant/keybox we can show at will.
Courtesy call which means just leave a message of the time you plan to show and go.
Appointment which means you have to talk/text to the agent or seller personally and get a confirmation of a time.

All of my listings are appointment only through me and I set up a Google calendar for my clients that have the times of showings so that nothing gets mixed up. I just ask them to add the calendar to their phone with an alarm for 30 minutes before. Sounds like you and your agent need a new communication system for showings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate