Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
People said the same thing about terrazo floors that you say about granite.

Laminate done right is not ugly the second you install them. I don't think it would have been used in millions of homes if it was. Also if you want to use a bad picture of a laminate counter you should put it next to a bad picture on a granite counter.

Granite may be the in thing now but it will lose it's appeal just like everything else does.
Actually it was one of the first things that came up on google, I didn't search for a bad picture! I wasn't sure if laminate and formica were the same thing. Now I'm not sure exactly how I phrased my search since it's not the first thing that came up now.

That picture pretty much looks exactly like the kitchen in my expensive "luxury" apartment. It was a well laid out kitchen that was huge and could've been beautiful, but that formica completely ruined it. Well that and the white "peel and stick" cabinet covers. Oh, and the building was only 5 years old, so it wasn't old formica.

Comparing formica to granite is like comparing polyester to cotton or silk clothing.

Sure, polyester may be in fashion sometimes, but that doesn't mean it's a nicer, higher-quality fabric. I'm not a trendy person so I'll just let those polyester years slide right by while I stick to my classics, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:44 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,694 times
My question for all the corian/formica loving people....if it's so great and granite is a "fad" why do they keep trying to make corian look like granite or other natural stone?? Yes, they have plain colors, but if you look at a lot of it, they are trying to get that "stone" look.

I agree with all the other posters who say granite is timeless. If it's done right it looks beautiful. Personally, I hate formica/corian. I love my granite and will stick with it.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
I'm convinced whatever you have in your house (corian, granite, formica, concrete), eventually it will all be dated and guess what? Something new and better will always come along...It's like the old saying "everybody drives a used car"

I don't hate granite (BTW) I just like the subtlety and "feel" of corian better. Heck, I have formica now, it's NOT ugly, far from it, and it's served its purpose well.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:00 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
My question for all the corian/formica loving people....if it's so great and granite is a "fad" why do they keep trying to make corian look like granite or other natural stone?? Yes, they have plain colors, but if you look at a lot of it, they are trying to get that "stone" look.

I agree with all the other posters who say granite is timeless. If it's done right it looks beautiful. Personally, I hate formica/corian. I love my granite and will stick with it.
Because there are people who LOVE granite but cannot afford granite so they opt for the next best thing, something that LOOKS like granite. Personally i would rather spend my money on something other than a countertop for my kitchen. I'm not into cooking and baking and I don't care if my friends and family have a better kitchen than me. My laminate countertop works perfectly for me and my coffee maker. What more can I ask of my countertop. Now if I could wear my countertop then absolutely I would have granite.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Exactly! Granite has been used for DECADES in homes (as has stainless steel). Yes, for the longest it was just in "UPPER END" housing but has now trickled down to the mid range homes. That is fine and there IS a reason for it. Since it has become more readily available the prices have come down. People that are buying a home to stay in LONGTERM don't mind spending a little more to get a product that they won't have to replace. If granite was to have only "15 minutes of fame" that time period would have been over a LOOOOOONG TIME AGO! There is not much else that is "natural" that can replace it that price wise is reasonable for a good fair share of homeowners that DO plan on staying put for the longhaul. If you would have gotten out the yellow pages 15 years ago and looked up granite counters your options were limited. Not any more so that means the prices are within reach to more people at all different levels of housing. So if someone that has lived in a much larger upper end home downsizes for retirement and wants to keep their granite counters for low maintanence they can readily do it in a smaller less expensive home.

As for formica/laminate............ it CAN be destroyed in NO TIME if one is not careful. Someone sits a hot pan on it......... it is over with. Someone uses it as a cutting board one too many times....... it is over with. It CAN look bad and be almost "worthless". It CAN look dated. Pick the wrong color.......... forget it. It does not have a "timeless" look, feel or anything else. Never has and never will. Sure for entry level homes it is fine. I've had it in two homes. I'll keep my granite thank you

Old 03-06-2008, 04:29 PM

101 posts, read 137,475 times
To say that the people that dont like granite is because they cant afford it is absurd. Maybe I dont like granite because it's gaudy and reminds me a hotel bathroom in Vegas? Hello?? Stop being so closed minded and accept that not everyone wants to keep up with the latest trend the Joneses are into. PS...stainless steel..you cant keep the prints off and reminds me of a micro biology lab or morgue. Yuk.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvazjr View Post
To say that the people that dont like granite is because they cant afford it is absurd. Maybe I dont like granite because it's gaudy and reminds me a hotel bathroom in Vegas? Hello?? Stop being so closed minded and accept that not everyone wants to keep up with the latest trend the Joneses are into. PS...stainless steel..you cant keep the prints off and reminds me of a micro biology lab or morgue. Yuk.
Huh? If your referring to my post I did not even elude to people not being able to afford it. I just said it has ALWAYS been popular in higher end homes and since it has become more available and less expensive it has trickled down to the mid range homes. BTW, granite is not "gaudy". Where on earth did you get that? Just because some of US have granite does not automatically make us "gaudy" or that we are trying to keep up w/ anyone. I'm NOT in a contest to keep up w/ anyone. I don't pay for their house and they don't pay for mine. I ENJOY my granite and would not trade it.

PS, stainless steel has been around for DECADES too in those higher end homes and in the restaurant industry as it is EASIER to keep clean and free of germs. There is no reason to think or even say that one having SS appliances makes their home feel like a morgue or lab.

Talk about stereotypes

Old 03-06-2008, 04:42 PM

101 posts, read 137,475 times
yeah it's ok if you have a high end home. But way too many people with crappy homes thinking installing granite and SS will either transform it into a McMansion or make the home sell. Again, you dont put imported silk on a pig.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
There is no reason to think or even say that one having SS appliances makes their home feel like a morgue or lab.
I think it's fair to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Sometimes I like SS, sometimes I don't (depends on the quality and how it fits with the rest of the kitchen/house); sometimes I like granite, sometimes I don't (depends on the color).

Today I saw an MLS photo where somebody put a huge side-by-side stainless fridge and other appliances into an otherwise antique kitchen in an antique house. It sure reminded me of a clinic. Totally out of place, like those old houses that doctors convert to offices.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Huh? If your referring to my post I did not even elude to people not being able to afford it. I just said it has ALWAYS been popular in higher end homes and since it has become more available and less expensive it has trickled down to the mid range homes. BTW, granite is not "gaudy". Where on earth did you get that? Just because some of US have granite does not automatically make us "gaudy" or that we are trying to keep up w/ anyone. I'm NOT in a contest to keep up w/ anyone. I don't pay for their house and they don't pay for mine. I ENJOY my granite and would not trade it.

PS, stainless steel has been around for DECADES too in those higher end homes and in the restaurant industry as it is EASIER to keep clean and free of germs. There is no reason to think or even say that one having SS appliances makes their home feel like a morgue or lab.

Talk about stereotypes

You said laminate is ok for entry level homes. This does show your mindset.

I have laminate and my home is far from entry level. Some people just do not like granite and prefer to have other materials. A counter top does not define the level of quality of a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate