Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 02:17 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times

Advertisements

Jelly, I went to an open house in our neighbourhood on Sun. it was packed with lookers. I spoke with one older couple and they said they sold their big house and were looking to downsize both square footage and taxes.

The open house had taxes of 12K/yr, the house they just sold had taxes of 25K.

By NJ standards, your taxes are dirt cheap. The new tax laws might be favourable for your sale!

Pray the New Year brings you a buyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Jelly, I went to an open house in our neighbourhood on Sun. it was packed with lookers. I spoke with one older couple and they said they sold their big house and were looking to downsize both square footage and taxes.

The open house had taxes of 12K/yr, the house they just sold had taxes of 25K.

By NJ standards, your taxes are dirt cheap. The new tax laws might be favourable for your sale!

Pray the New Year brings you a buyer
Thank You.

It really does have to be the right person, or couple.

We are at over 35 showings now, and still the same Feedback: bedrooms are too small, no basement or garage, no open floorplan...

It's very hard to clean that many times - Windex, Chlorox, sweep and mop, et al!! I'm sure you all know and understand. Add to it being Seniors and disabled. But we keep on keeping on... every time could be THE ONE, so what else can we do?? As i watch all of our favorite houses in Maine sell...

Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 PM

90 posts, read 136,454 times
Have a fastidious friend walk thru and give you an honest opinion as to whether there's an odor issue...any smoke, mildew or cooking odors. People love a fresh clean house.

Make sure the main entrance looks sharp, tidy and welcoming. You might paint a dingy door a rich color or a dark jewel tone...check decorating sites for exterior door ideas. Change the welcome mat, clear any weeds or brush especially near the front steps and make sure the entry area of the house house a nice, clean, tidy, smart look.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thank You.

We are at over 35 showings now, and still the same Feedback: bedrooms are too small, no basement or garage, no open floorplan...

It's very hard to clean that many times - Windex, Chlorox, sweep and mop, et al!! I'm sure you all know and understand. Add to it being Seniors and disabled. But we keep on keeping on... every time could be THE ONE, so what else can we do?? As i watch all of our favorite houses in Maine sell...
Please don't take this the wrong way, because I truly don't mean to offend...
Many older people tend to have "older people" decorating tastes, like floral prints, lace, quilts, lots of nic nacs, pink or rose colored towels, floral print bedspread, fake flowers, very traditional artwork.
In the HGTV era of house hunting, most buyers tend to want homes that are more modern, clean lines, and neutral.
Have new white towels (or layer a white over a taupe), somewhat contemporary (white/taupe or gray) comforters/duvet covers. Remove any fake flowers or small nic nacs. Instead get larger somewhat abstract/contemporary looking art pieces/nic nacs. Get some modern looking art prints. (You can get these cheaply at flea markets, eBay, Burlington coat factory, hobby lobby, 2nd hand stores.) Have no more than 3 Nic nacs on any shelf. Try to alternate with one larger piece in center of a shelf, then three on next, then one or 2 on next. Think sparse/minimal.
If your couch is a floral or older looking material, but a white, grey, ivory, or taupe slipcover.
If you have toilet seat covers, fitted rugs that go at base of toilet, remove them.
If you have grandchildren, ask them to look at house and tell you what makes it seem like old people live there, or tell your realtor that you heard it can be an issue and ask them to honestly tell you how to make it look fresh/younger/more modern.
Remove any personal photos, collections of things.
Make sure there are no medicinal odors in home.(and no smoke smells).
You want the home to be as much of a blank slate as possible, to allow potential buyers to be able to picture themselves living there. You want to remove whatever you can that screams "this isn't your house!". People are most likely to buy a home that feels comfortable to them. If they feel like it's their grandparents home, it may be comforting, but not what they feel would be their home.
Hopefully that makes sense, and doesn't offend you.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:31 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thank You.

I Know!! Makes you wonder why they bother to look at your home!
We heard the bedrooms are too small and not enough closet space, stuff we can not change.

We are going back on the market this spring and I just dread it.

Hoping that our "low" property tax bill will attract buyers!!
Good Luck Jelly

Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
How much longer are you going to wait until you lower the price? I think the market is yelling loud and clear that you are simply overpriced.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:29 AM

I lowered the price one time already. Going to lower again at the end of the month. My realtor said we lower again when the showings stop, but i'm going to disagree with him. He had originally said we would sell for $180K.

As for decorating - i think i have more of a mix of styles. One friend who owns an antique store told me i decorated like the "Magnolia Farms" lady before they were popular - but i kind of disagree. SOME of my rooms/areas have things like her's tho.

I asked one the last realtors who went thru to be brutally honest and to tell me anything i could do to make a better showing. She said everything was great, and she works for my guy. So i hope she's being honest.

I appreciate all the comments.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Hope you sell your home soon . Looks like original post was in May .

My home sold /closed early August , luckily it wasn't on the market long . It was vacant and empty so I'm wondering how much that helped .. I could see it being stressful having a home on the market a long time while living there .

Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Hope you sell your home soon . Looks like original post was in May .

My home sold /closed early August , luckily it wasn't on the market long . It was vacant and empty so I'm wondering how much that helped .. I could see it being stressful having a home on the market a long time while living there .
Yes, i listed in May.

I think the house being vacant makes a huge difference! Glad you were able to sell! It IS stressful. And i'm buying my next one with cash from the sale of this one, so i really have to WAIT...

Old 01-20-2018, 04:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
Hi Jelly...have you considered a HELOC. Buy home in Maine with HELOC $$$ and pay it off when NJ house sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate