Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 4 days ago)

1,964 posts, read 3,299,142 times

Advertisements

I'm listing my house for sale with a Realtor next week.

I've lived in it since 1995. So - i'm a bit nervous. Excited to sell and move, but lots to think about.

I've never sold a house before - for those who have, what are a couple of your most important tips or points. Thanks. (I'm in NJ, moving to Maine.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 03:29 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,692,900 times
Make sure to clean thoroughly and declutter. Pack up anything you don't use practically daily. This is literally the most important thing.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Make sure to clean thoroughly and declutter. Pack up anything you don't use practically daily. This is literally the most important thing.
Thanks so much. We've been doing that like crazy. Hard and stressful but i know it matters (the packing up so much stuff!).

Old 05-13-2017, 03:48 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,692,900 times
I forgot- make sure to make all beds and open all of the curtains/blinds to let in light. When house hunting, I was amazed at how many people did not do this! If you have a pretty short notification requirement, make sure to do it every morning before you leave. I only required an hour notice (I worked 2 jobs and was never home), so I would end up with showings during the day that weren't scheduled before I left the house. So I made sure to do it every single morning. I ended up leaving the blinds in the spare bedrooms open all the time so I didn't have to take the time every morning.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,603,272 times
Close the toilet lid. Put away all daily cosmetics - brushes, compacts, curling irons, shaving cream, etc. Make the bathroom counter look as spacious as possible. Fold towels neatly, don't just throw on towel bars. Put away any kitchen appliance you don't use daily. I packed up my Cuisinart and toaster. Take down any pictures of family members, let them think about their family there, not yours. Hang clothes in closets, don't just toss them in on the floor. Needs to look like plenty of room for clothes. Pick up any and all kiddie toys, put them in bins neatly. Not too many magazines or newspapers on the coffee table, etc. Empty garbage and trash cans each morning.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 PM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
Clean, clean, clean - everything...inside windowsills, everything. Then clean some more. Get rid of your crap. When you are a week out from moving, you'll wonder why some stuff made the cut 2,3,6 months earlier. NJ to ME is a long haul, ask yourself if you really want to pay to move it.

Put everything away for showings. Even if you have to throw it in a laundry basket and stick it in the car while you're gone. Look online and see the pictures of places you think look great and emulate theses houses.

Anything that makes it look like you haven't taken care of your house will be a red flag, even subliminally, to a buyer. Take care of those things.

We also bought towels and pillows for staging.

Agree about emptying trash and the closets - you want it to look like no one lives there. And that there's plenty of room for those who will.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:03 PM

17,672 posts, read 29,575,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Clean, clean, clean - everything... you want it to look like no one lives there. And that there's plenty of room for those who will.
Excellent advice.
And, costs zero$.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,009,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thanks so much. We've been doing that like crazy. Hard and stressful but i know it matters (the packing up so much stuff!).
We are listing our home in a different part of New Jersey next week.

If you are still in Salem Co. you are in a beautiful, buccolic part of our State.
We are up here in the hectic, fast paced, high priced NYC/Philly part.

Our home (our 3rd home) is an entry level home for the buyers up here.
Our buyers, most likely, will be first time homeowner HGTV addicts with very specific NEEDS!

My advice is to have an agent who is very familiar with your market and your buyer pool!

Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,672,980 times
If you don't have natural colors on the wall, Paint! Make sure that the yard is kept up too (nice cut lawn). Nothing on the kitchen or bathroom counters. Always leave the home in great condition when leaving for work in the morning just in case their a last minute showing.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We are listing our home in a different part of New Jersey next week.

If you are still in Salem Co. you are in a beautiful, buccolic part of our State.
We are up here in the hectic, fast paced, high priced NYC/Philly part.

Our home (our 3rd home) is an entry level home for the buyers up here.
Our buyers, most likely, will be first time homeowner HGTV addicts with very specific NEEDS!

My advice is to have an agent who is very familiar with your market and your buyer pool!

Good Luck!
Good luck to you also! Yes, i'm in Salem Co. and my township is supposedly "desirable." But i'm a pessimist - I guess that way i don't get disappointed LOL. I think i have a really good Realtor - he's sold the most here and very high up in NJ. Yes he knows the area. I'm excited - but nervous like i said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate