Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 12:19 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

Do you ever wonder what some buyers are thinking?

Ours want to close soon but before that they want us to remove the "junk" we left behind.

The "junk" is a couple of small rolls of leftover carpet. The carpet in the house is new. Another piece of "junk" is the late-model lawn mower we thoughtfully (or so it seemed) left for them.

When I heard about this from our agent, I said, "OK. They're either new homeowners or they're crazy."

Every dwelling I have ever purchased has come with extra carpet for patching damaged areas. But hey, whatever. We put new sod in the front and back yards. It is thick and lush. Sure hope they're going to hire a lawn service. Or maybe they'll save money by not watering it.

I know, not my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 12:28 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
Of course some buyers will ask for things that one may not understand.

The buyers of our first house were a little more bold in their request. The house was only 5 years old, and while we "broke even," they did get a good deal. After the contract was signed our realtor asked theirs if they would like to keep the outdoor play set since they had a young child. They were very happy to have it stay, but had been afraid to ask for it. House was inspected and no issues came up. A few days after they inspection period passed they asked if we would install a garage door opener. They suddenly realized we didn't have one. We said "no." The play set we agreed to leave cost far more than a garage door opener and was much easier to have installed.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:48 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I don't see a problem w/them not wanting your lawn mower - either sell it or give it away. They may be planning on getting rid of carpeting all together or their own color, whatever. Just get rid of everything.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:35 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,344,411 times
Yeah, my first thought is they don't want the carpet and are going to replace it. Personally I can't stand carpet but love to see it in places because unlike tile it is super easy to remove. So I don't care when I walk in and see it but I don't need to keep it around.

Now I wouldn't ask the owner to throw it out unless they were being dickwads during the process. Even then I'd save my ire for something serious and push for that. Who knows though, maybe they have bad backs or something and don't want to deal with it. If they asked me to remove the extra tile in the attic I'd do it without complaint.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:42 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
We got rid of the carpet in our house and replaced it with wood as soon as we moved in. You can't really "patch" carpet (at least not well) anyway.

Perhaps they already have a lawn mower and don't want to store 2 of them. Maybe theirs is nicer/newer/better than the one you left. Maybe they prefer an electric lawn mower or a riding one.

Unless those things were written in the contract, you probably shouldn't have left them.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:38 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
We see a thread like this pretty regularly from both the seller's and buyer's POV. Most of the time it comes down to a discussion about the sales contract which, of course, is pretty much the final answer. We as buyers had a hell of a time getting our seller to clean out the house and yard before we took possession, and it took tortuous discussions with our respective agents mediating to get it done.

That's why I sort of wish we could encourage a direct buyer-seller walkthrough before closing to discuss these things directly. Also this could be a good time to go over stuff like "what does this switch do," and, "who does your gutters," etc.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
When i bought my most recent house the P.O. left a bunch of crap behind. It took a while to get rid of it all. And it cost money to dump it. I can tell you the next house i buy it better be empty of ANY belongings or “stuff”. When I have sold houses in the past I got rid of anything that was not part of the house.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:22 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
They may have planned on having a yard service and replacing the carpet with something else.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:50 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
When we sold, we left (and have at every house) extra carpet, paint (marked as to which room), tile, and wallpaper. Turns out our most recent buyers replaced all the carpet and painted the entire house after they closed. Fortunately they didn’t ask us to take back the old stuff. If the tables were turned, I’d just get rid of the stuff myself.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Paint stores can match paint easily from only a tiny chip of paint, so it isn't necessary to leave old paint which most likely wouldn't be used (or even usable) anyway. Disposing of old paint cans can be a real nuisance if done properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate