Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 11:04 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times

Advertisements

In AZ insurance required a check of the house every few weeks. There were multiple companies that do this. Part of the cost of owning a second house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 11:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
There are many reasons for Insurance Companies to cancel or refuse to insure.

What about a State "Fair" plan offered called the insurance of last resort?

Several non starters here are perfect old wiring, distance from fire hydrant and occupancy.

My brother bought an old ranch property to occupy... they had one heck of a time to get coverage but in the end managed to through the Farm Bureau...

Even having a wood burning fireplace was reason for denial as having a barn or having farm animals...

The family has a vacation cabin in the mountains... never a claim in 45 years... we also have a great neighbor who is always around... we share a drive... so far coverage has not been an issue but I wouldn't be surprised to get a letter one day...

My advice is to shop to you drop... ask local Real Estate Brokers who is writing policies and be prepared for higher premiums... one of my friends, honest... has his fire policy through Lloyds of London at 3x the cost... no choice as he has a mortgage and MUST carry fire... never a claim but too far from a fire hydrant after California wildlands fires...

Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yes, and also because if there's a pipe leak or something of that nature it probably won't be noticed until it becomes a major crisis.
That's why I always shut the water off when I leave my winter house to go back home. My neighbor didn't and had a huge flood. He does shut the water off now when he goes back home. We are very fortunate to have good neighbors who will contact us if they notice something.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:57 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Since you plan to insure the property year-round, it's illogical that it can only be insured when/if you are in full-time residence. People insure vacation homes; condos insure the entire building regardless of how many owners live there full-time; and owners everywhere insure rental properties year-round ... even though the property may be vacant for extended periods.

Perhaps the issue with the non-insurable property here is in the way you are approaching it with the agent/insurance company. What if, for example, you thought you might 'consider' renting-out the property at some point? (Whether or not you actually get around to doing that would be irrelevant).

Old 12-24-2017, 12:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Yep... grew up that way...

Water Off, All Faucets Open

Drain Water Heater

Add RV antifreeze to toilet bowl/tank and all water P-Traps

Unplug all plugged in devices

Prop open refrigerator/freezer doors

Turn off Propane at the tank

Turn off Electric at the Main outside on the pine tree.

Since 1964 this is what we do... and to date the only seasonal cabin that has not incurred loss either from burst pipe or lightning

The turning off propane at the tank is the newest on the vacant check list... a playful bear snapped the regulator and we lost $900 of propane... plus had to replace the $1 pipe nipple.

Lots of snowbirds in Florida and some are friends... will have to ask how they handle time away.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:17 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
We had Foremost, and they covered our house for 3 years of vacancy---not much difference in price. We had a house-sitter for irrigation season, but that was it. "House-sitters of America" is a good resource.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:34 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Since you plan to insure the property year-round, it's illogical that it can only be insured when/if you are in full-time residence. People insure vacation homes; condos insure the entire building regardless of how many owners live there full-time; and owners everywhere insure rental properties year-round ... even though the property may be vacant for extended periods.

Perhaps the issue with the non-insurable property here is in the way you are approaching it with the agent/insurance company. What if, for example, you thought you might 'consider' renting-out the property at some point? (Whether or not you actually get around to doing that would be irrelevant).
irrelevant about renting it out . most policies say vacant for more than 60 days no coverage for lots of things .
you can't rent a place out either with homeowners . you need landlord insurance . you will have no coverage once again on arson ,vandalism and theft to name a few things using homeowners .

don't ask me how i know!

Old 12-24-2017, 02:32 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Very amusing.

All policies have provisions regarding concealment, misrepresentation and fraud.

Tell your insurance agent you plan on renting out the property, have a claim 6 months later without ever having rented out the property and you risk having the policy rescinded and the claim denied.

I'm a retired claim rep and I HAVE rescinded policies and denied claims for just that kind of misrepresentation.

Never try to fool your insurance company. It's not their first rodeo.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:07 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
again , you cannot rent out a place using homeowners . that is for owner occupied only and there are some very good reasons why you never want to rent out a home using homeowners or even an apartment .

for starters under homeowners anyone living in your home becomes an insured and household member . if your tenants get sued your policy has to cover them and you are on the meet hook for being dropped . also any vandalism , theft or arson is an insurance job since under ho3 they are an insured like you are

Old 12-24-2017, 03:42 PM

269 posts, read 247,582 times
So along these lines, is rental dwelling (or landlord's policy) generally more expensive than homeowners?

I suppose I could rent the home out when I am not using it and convert the homeowners policy to a rental dwelling (landlond's policy) during the rented months?

I know I can ask an insurer for a quote on this, but since there are knowledgeble folks here, I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate