Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:45 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Sometimes it is on the listing, at least in the agent remarks section. You don't know the reasons for the request. It is, therefore, rude to not comply... it is not your home.

It's February and it is raining here now and has been for the past several weeks. It's muddy out. That's enough reason, at some homes.

I can understand not wanting to take shoes off, but booties are not an imposition, or a risk. If they are a big deal for you, maybe bring some clean house slippers to put on?
Booties are a risk for me. I don't even wear socks around my own house. I either go barefoot (which I am not going to do in a strange house!) or I wear flat rubber-soled shoes or slip-ons

I agree the sellers absolutely have the right to request booties. And I have the right to decline to wear booties.

My only point was it would have been nice to be given a warning about these requests prior to a private showing. Then I could have asked about bringing my own slippers (not sure some sellers would even be happy about that) or decline the showing. That's all. But I am going to be assertive my needs when it comes down to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I don’t think it needs to be put on the listing to request shoes be taken off. I would think that should be common sense! Do you wear your shoes in your own house? Not taking off your shoes to view a home is complete disrespect for the owner. I’m not saying go barefoot, but if you know you’re going to view homes then bring socks/slippers or wear the booties!
We don't have hard and fast rules about shoes in our house. Usually we take them off, but again, I don't freak if someone doesn't. We don't do anything on the floor (I don't have young children anymore) and I have all hard floors on the first floor which I mop frequently

In my culture, it is considered rude to ask a guest to take their shoes off. For example, when I have a party with my relatives, I would never ask people to take their shoes off at the door, it would be seen as extremely rude. If I am concerned, I give the house a mop afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Shoe covers are exactly that... they go over the shoe you are wearing...

I go through hundreds of them each day in the Hospital...

The types do vary... some have a non-slip coating added and some have rubber treads...

Again... no one can force you to put them on...

As a courtesy... a bench, chair, etc... should be conveniently available to assist.

Went to one open house... the agent was beside herself... she had put out a new box of shoe covers and someone had taken the box... she was going to cancel the open house because the shoe covers disappeared.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:23 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Booties are a risk for me. I don't even wear socks around my own house. I either go barefoot (which I am not going to do in a strange house!) or I wear flat rubber-soled shoes or slip-ons

I agree the sellers absolutely have the right to request booties. And I have the right to decline to wear booties.

My only point was it would have been nice to be given a warning about these requests prior to a private showing. Then I could have asked about bringing my own slippers (not sure some sellers would even be happy about that) or decline the showing. That's all. But I am going to be assertive my needs when it comes down to it.

We don't have hard and fast rules about shoes in our house. Usually we take them off, but again, I don't freak if someone doesn't. We don't do anything on the floor (I don't have young children anymore) and I have all hard floors on the first floor which I mop frequently

In my culture, it is considered rude to ask a guest to take their shoes off. For example, when I have a party with my relatives, I would never ask people to take their shoes off at the door, it would be seen as extremely rude. If I am concerned, I give the house a mop afterwards.
And my point is to respect other peoples property! What you do in your house is your business, but to not respect others property is another issue! You do in fact have a right to decline wearing the booties, but then I would decline you from stepping foot in my house. Simple as that. I personally think most people don't have a problem with this.

On another note....when we were house shopping we saw a foreclosure. My realtor told us to leave are shoes ON and I understood why because there was dirt and garbage everywhere. We actually decided not to view it once we walked in the door. We also looked at some brand new model homes and there was a sign requesting that shoes come off, no booties available. Luckily we had socks on, but again it's new floors and carpet so we understood.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that if you're viewing a home it's not your property and you need to respect that. Period.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:12 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post

It's actually an East-West divide, and the line goes through Germany.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:39 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Those of you that think I'm wrong for blaming the victim. It's a no brainer that if you hit ceramic tile over and over again in the same spot or sometimes only once it will break. I don't excuse this kids behavior at all, but it was going to happen. It isn't a big enough repair to call insurance or really try to figure out who broke it. If an open house fills up the agent is one person that cannot watch everybody. I don't think the agent showing your house should be liable for a bad building decision made by a home owner. They created door stops for this reason. I think its comparable to deciding to leave a diamond bracelet out on your dresser in a bedroom for an open house. I would say the agent isn't liable if its stolen. If I were the agent and knew a kid was doing this I would stop him, but if I'm on the other side of the house or greeting someone else at the front door etc. I may not know it.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Those of you that think I'm wrong for blaming the victim. I don't think the agent showing your house should be liable for a bad building decision made by a home owner. They created door stops for this reason. I think its comparable to deciding to leave a diamond bracelet out on your dresser in a bedroom for an open house. I would say the agent isn't liable if its stolen.
Really?? Words fail me.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:23 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Those of you that think I'm wrong for blaming the victim. It's a no brainer that if you hit ceramic tile over and over again in the same spot or sometimes only once it will break. I don't excuse this kids behavior at all, but it was going to happen. It isn't a big enough repair to call insurance or really try to figure out who broke it. If an open house fills up the agent is one person that cannot watch everybody. I don't think the agent showing your house should be liable for a bad building decision made by a home owner. They created door stops for this reason. I think its comparable to deciding to leave a diamond bracelet out on your dresser in a bedroom for an open house. I would say the agent isn't liable if its stolen. If I were the agent and knew a kid was doing this I would stop him, but if I'm on the other side of the house or greeting someone else at the front door etc. I may not know it.
We didn't think you were blaming the victim. We were just sitting here shocked that an agent had no idea what the OP was asking about. Hint: they weren't asking about the pros and cons of tile behind doors, the proper use of a doorstop or child rearing.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:24 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
OK, if it's not enough to get insurance involved, then I think the homeowner/seller ought to be able to deduct from the listing agent's fee anything that breaks under said agent's watch.

Just because a house is being held "OPEN" does not mean that the front door should be unlocked to make easy entry for all prospective viewers so that the numbers of people in the house at one time is not more than an agent and assistant can monitor during a home viewing.

In any case, I have made my personal opinion known about Open Houses. While I like to attend them, I would not agree to an Open House for selling my own home. From my experience and from conversations over many years with real estate agents, Open Houses are more for listing agents to get new buyer-clients than they are to sell a particular home, especially in my area.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:25 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Oh, and as for signs outside an Open House, something like the following can be posted on the porch:

Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Really?? Words fail me.
Look at the bright side - I'm sure some people here have learned the valuable lesson that not all agents have even the most basic communication skills. Beware who you hire! Can you imagine the pain in having to discuss your purchase or sale like this? Yes, I think words fail many of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate