Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"oh, the irony" ... is that the right phrase?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk5Il6KQrd8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
I act as both salesperson and advisor. I have providers that act as both salesperson and advisor to me. I'm a college graduate and successful. My degree is in economics, and a prior career was as advisor first/sales second. It seems to me the 2 can mutually exist. I'm being told they cannot, and that it's a basic business principle.

I'm just trying to find the "Basic business principle". I read a lot. Maybe not enough to have seen this in print.

I've been down the conflict of interest rabbit hole numerous times on this forum. Essentially, as humans our entire lives are conflicts of interest. What is best for me may not be best for you, but humans tend to make decisions based upon their own self-interest.

Some define our self-interest as TODAY. What will I do TODAY to maximize my self-interest TODAY. I - and several of the other professionals that are trying to give advice and guidance to the OP who will not be our client (none of us work the CLT market) - tend to see our self-interest as something to accumulate over a number of years. I can do my best for my clients, and make them happy so that they use me in the future, and maybe o happy that they refer their family, friends, co-workers to me. That is a long-term income stream. Or I can spend $1,000's of dollars TODAY gathering internet leads from the type of people who do not care about the relational aspects, just TODAY'S transaction. And then do it all over again next month.
OK, I'll put it as simply as I can:

Don't send the fox to guard the henhouse.

Next!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Next!

If the fox is ethical and rational, you can send him.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:26 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Next!
if I eat all the hens tonight, there's no eggs next month

Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
You send in a good dog to guard the hens.

Mine
Attached Thumbnails
Do you need an exclusive buyer’s agent?-img_1809.jpg  

Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
I don't know much about cars but a knew when my brakes started squealing a few years ago that I needed new brake pads. I could have spent some time learning how to change brake pads and done it myself but I chose to just pay the expert. That's the consumers right to decide what they want to do.

I took it to a mechanic that wanted to do what sounded like a bunch of unnecessary work. I picked it up and took it over to a different mechanic who disagreed with the first mechanic. He replaced my brake pads and I spent about $1600 less and didn't have any other issues with that car during the time I owned it.

Point is there are honest mechanics and there are dishonest mechanics just as you get in every field. I don't judge every mechanic by the dishonest one any more than I judge all mechanics by the honest one. I think the majority of agents do try to take care of their client and it's disrespectful to say otherwise. Yes, some agents are better than others so the consumer needs to spend time making sure if they hire one that they do their due diligence and have an escape clause in case they end up with a dud.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
if I eat all the hens tonight, there's no eggs next month
You can shear a sheep many times, you can skin him only once.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:38 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
We used one and she actually was the worst one we had. She was very untrustworthy, to say the least. First impressions mean a lot. I didn't like her when I met her and that was a red flag.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:07 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
We used one and she actually was the worst one we had. She was very untrustworthy, to say the least. First impressions mean a lot. I didn't like her when I met her and that was a red flag.
Why didn't you interview multiple agents or replace her with someone better instead of going forward with someone you didn't like or trust?

Old 02-20-2018, 05:18 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
What do you all think about an agent who won’t commit to working with you until she meets you face to face to see if you click with each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate