Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 01:24 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Stainless steel appliances are outdated, plus when you think they are easy to clean, they are not. Smudges, damages from cleaning products, easily scratched, etc. I equate stainless steel appliances with the late 1990s to early 2000s like the avocado green appliances with the 1970s.

I will be buying a house soon, and I prefer black appliances.

I don't even want a refrigerator with a water/ice dispenser. The tube gets dirty and clogged and moldy.
Nah.

I bought “smudge proof” stainless steel appliances 4 years ago and they still look great,
aren’t quite as shiney as most either....looks more modern, replaced older white ones, makes my kitchen look 100 percent better.

In a previous house I had “normal” stainless and yes they kept getting smudged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 11:04 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Stainless steel appliances are outdated, plus when you think they are easy to clean, they are not. Smudges, damages from cleaning products, easily scratched, etc. I equate stainless steel appliances with the late 1990s to early 2000s like the avocado green appliances with the 1970s.

I will be buying a house soon, and I prefer black appliances.

I don't even want a refrigerator with a water/ice dispenser. The tube gets dirty and clogged and moldy.
Stainless steel will never go out of style. They are a neutral vs colored. You think black with not show smudges etc. Totally your opinion (and laughable) equating them - a neutral to avacado.

Ask a interior designer or agent what people want - stainles steel.

If you know the right cleaning products to use on them, you'll have no issues. You don't take ajax and a wire blush on them. Mind look great cleaned with window spray. No kids here minimal smudges.

Black in kitchens, cabinents is really out of style now. To each his own.

Quit buying cheap appliances and you won't have problems with dirty/moldy tubes.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:18 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
Should I spend $2500 for all new stainless appliances? I am thinking I would get this back and more when selling this year. Thoughts from sellers and realtors? Also have Corian countertops that need minor repair, a slice mark I think can be repaired. Cabinets in nice shape
What is the price point on the home?

Less than 100K house then save your money.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Should I spend $2500 for all new stainless appliances?
Do you need all new appliances?

The Q isn't about $2500 for stainless.
The Q is the increment between the white $$ and the stainless $$.

If these are for YOU... get them.
If these are about an upcoming sale... then no.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:58 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I think a lot of people missed the comment where the OP said the house is in the Central Valley, about an hour outside Silicon Valley.

It makes a difference. Some people are commuting four hours a day or more to/from SV because housing is hideously expensive here.

OP, will you be competing with brand-new homes for buyers? That's one factor.

And where are you...Stockton, Modesto, Manteca, Los Banos...?

Old 03-11-2018, 12:33 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
No. Read up on it. Stainless is passee. And anyway, if I were looking for a home, I would NOT buy one with stainless in it. Looks like one is cooking in a mental institution or a prison. I can't figure out why anyone would want that stuff.
There were stainless appliances in our house when we bought it, and the "island" was a steel table.

Most people thought the table looked like something from a medical office; when someone called it a morgue table, we moved it to the basement.

We put in black appliances and sink and love them, but design is about making choices that please you. If you like stainless, go for it. If you don't, get something else. Don't get distracted by what's in "style"--that's just a way to make you unhappy with what you have.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:38 PM

125 posts, read 159,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
What is the price point on the home?

Less than 100K house then save your money.
aprox 500k

Old 03-11-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Upcoming sale, personally, i would give an allowance for everything, but my wife is set on making it look good

Old 03-11-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think a lot of people missed the comment where the OP said the house is in the Central Valley, about an hour outside Silicon Valley.

It makes a difference. Some people are commuting four hours a day or more to/from SV because housing is hideously expensive here.

OP, will you be competing with brand-new homes for buyers? That's one factor.

And where are you...Stockton, Modesto, Manteca, Los Banos...?
Tracy, not really any brand new homes, but a lot of brand new luxury, whatever that means, apartment complexes. btw, it has solar, which i think is a big sell point

Old 03-11-2018, 01:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Upcoming sale, personally, i would give an allowance for everything, but my wife is set on making it look good
clean shiny and working; white and scratch/dent to boot.
The buyer can replace them with SS if they simply must have that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate