Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:13 AM

193 posts, read 147,846 times

Advertisements

There is some property we have had our eye on as a seasonal home. Its in a rural area about an hour from us on a dozen acres.

We have tried to view it several times. The first was an open house. We got there to find out it was cancelled. Drove back home.

Our agent set up a viewing on a Saturday. On a Thursday we got a note that the sellers weren't feeling well and had asked to reschedule.

We set up another viewing. Agent met us and we were driving to the property. Got a call that it was "too much" for the sellers to "handle" to get out for the showing when we were halfway there-- we had to pull over at a gas station to discuss. We said we could either reschedule or view the property when they were home-- we would not be intrusive and keep it to 10-15 mins. They said we should reschedule. We turned around and went home.

These sellers are elderly people and the property has been relisted several times. Its currently been sitting for about 90 days. We are giving up as its clear that they are having some issues (health maybe?) that prevent seeing the house. The seller's agent said that they are hoping "someone can make an offer from the listing pics" without actually seeing the place in person. We aren't willing to do that!

Has anyone run into this-- a property that the sellers won't allow to be shown? Or a seller who wants an offer from the photos without a tour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:17 AM

116 posts, read 144,098 times
The sellers are unmotivated. Stop wasting your time on this one and move on.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:18 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
If there’s this much difficulty just getting a showing....I hate to think what the entire sale process would be like.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Write the offer with a deposit contingent on seeing the property.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:22 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
There is some property we have had our eye on as a seasonal home. Its in a rural area about an hour from us on a dozen acres.

We have tried to view it several times. The first was an open house. We got there to find out it was cancelled. Drove back home.

Our agent set up a viewing on a Saturday. On a Thursday we got a note that the sellers weren't feeling well and had asked to reschedule.

We set up another viewing. Agent met us and we were driving to the property. Got a call that it was "too much" for the sellers to "handle" to get out for the showing when we were halfway there-- we had to pull over at a gas station to discuss. We said we could either reschedule or view the property when they were home-- we would not be intrusive and keep it to 10-15 mins. They said we should reschedule. We turned around and went home.

These sellers are elderly people and the property has been relisted several times. Its currently been sitting for about 90 days. We are giving up as its clear that they are having some issues (health maybe?) that prevent seeing the house. The seller's agent said that they are hoping "someone can make an offer from the listing pics" without actually seeing the place in person. We aren't willing to do that!

Has anyone run into this-- a property that the sellers won't allow to be shown? Or a seller who wants an offer from the photos without a tour?
The sellers do not want to sell, best to not wastes your time. First time shame on them, 2nd 3rd and 4th time shame on you. If you pursue this right now the sale will go badly, maybe it's their children who want them to sell or one of the two is ill and wants to sell and the other doesn't want to. If it was the gonna be the third time and you really wanted to see the home all I could think of is to tell the listing agent to let them know that you have been cancelled on twice and inconvenienced and if they do want to sell to only show if it's definite. At that point I would want to talk to the sellers themselves because it had gotten too ridiculous that I would not want to waste my time to be cancelled on.

The 3rd time on my way there I would have told the realtor that i have a bad connection and will be at the house shortly and still shown up, at least unless there is a gate I would have gotten a good view of the place. Ring the bell and let them know that your connection was bad and you didn't get the message.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Write the offer with a deposit contingent on seeing the property.
That's one way to do it!

Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If there’s this much difficulty just getting a showing....I hate to think what the entire sale process would be like.
Yes, I have some empathy for an elderly seller with a health issue as we nursed my mom through cancer and had to put her house up for sale at the beginning of her illness. But we aren't in a hurry and want to find the right place. If the timing is off on this one, I am sure another will come along. At any rate, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the process, I agree.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:41 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I would say I don't mind at all if they stay in the home! Poor things. Their agent should be handling this better, even if that means being there to help them if they need assistance during showings.

We have shown many many homes where people stayed home. It doesn't bother me at all. Just be nice, and courteous, and you never know, they might just enjoy telling you a bit about the place and their history there.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:48 AM

OH - maybe I misunderstood and it's the sellers who declined the option of just staying home for the showing?

OK.... That's different than I thought in my answer above. I would still try to see if you can't make an appointment again where they just stay home, with their agent assisting if necessary. Try to make it easier on them and they may well appreciate that.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:53 AM

Your agent should try talking seriously with their agent, and see if they actually want to sell, but it's difficult to arrange, or if they really don't want to sell at all, but they're being pushed into it by relatives, or realities they don't want to face. Makes a big difference.

Beyond the showing, there will be inspection(s) and other processes they need to go along with that are much MORE intrusive and/or have associated costs... And you will need someone who at least in theory, wants to sell... and is able to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate