U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2019, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
4,868 posts, read 5,071,466 times
Reputation: 11746

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Rot row.


We have a closing on a house at 9 am 2/13 in Arlington, VA.

It was already going to be a challenge because I am recovering from cancer surgery and was only cleared to drive yesterday. And as many of you know, it's a long drive and the end of the trip will involve dealing with heavy rush hour traffic in Arlington.

We ordered a POA for me, thinking my husband would drive up there for an equally important meeting he can't miss that will be earlier that day in Chantilly (about an hour from the closing site). The plans was he would complete the meeting and thenn he would drive to Arlington and handle the closing. It would be a giant PITA but it was doable.

Now we hear that a major blizzard may or may not hit next Tuesday (2/12). Or it might hit 2/13. Or it might not hit at all. And nobody can tell for several days yet.

We'd already tried moving the closing closer to his meeting, the realtor said that wouldn't be possible. I currently am trying to contact her to ask what we do in case a blizzard strikes, but we can't seem to reach her.

While I'm waiting to see what suggestions she has, any thoughts from you guys? His meeting can't be moved. I know te closing can't be moved to a different location, but how about a different date, like the next week (after the blizzard is long gone)? Or is that a bad idea? What would you do in this situation? I hate to panic because I know the weather is sometimes wrong and there might not be a blizzard at all. But... it might happen, and it might be important to do something proactive now.

So far the only solution I can think of is to have him get a hotel room near his meeting and to order a POA for him and have ME drive up there in the blizzard to handle the closing. But I don't think having someone who just had surgery drive in a blizzard is such a good idea. I could also get a hotel room near the closing but I have a feeling there must be a more obvious and easier solution than getting two pricey hotel rooms. Plus, if the blizzard strikes early I might have to drive up a few days before. That starts adding up to a lot of money.

Thoughts?
FWIW, if there is snow, I don't anticipate it being significant. Currently the forecast is showing rain and snow on Tuesday morning and transitioning to rain as the day goes on. Just rain on Wednesday.

What will be significant is the traffic when you get to Fredericksburg. I suggest you and your husband drive up on Tuesday, and get a room in Arlington for Tuesday night.

There's an app called Hotel Tonight where you can find decent last minute deals on hotel rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2019, 12:39 PM
 
Location: El paso,tx
1,645 posts, read 653,098 times
Reputation: 2682
Call the title company handling closing and ask if you can have a mobile closer come to you. Normally costs 75-125.00

Or ask title to email or fedex docs to you, and you take to notary and have them signed and notarized, then send back to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 12:49 PM
 
Location: northern va
1,569 posts, read 2,051,050 times
Reputation: 1342
Why not sign your docs now? They can email them and direct you to a notary/title office and you just pay a small fee. Then just Fedex it back.

Doesnt help the buyers, but atleast you wouldnt have to worry about your side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 01:20 PM
 
Location: On the sunny side of a mountain
3,071 posts, read 6,803,567 times
Reputation: 6045
When we sold our home 6 hours from where we lived they Fedexed the docs to us a couple days before the closing, we went to a Notary and signed everything and sent it back. The Notary was at our bank so it was free and we just paid for Fedex costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
2,519 posts, read 1,113,151 times
Reputation: 6112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Why not sign your docs now? They can email them and direct you to a notary/title office and you just pay a small fee. Then just Fedex it back.

Doesnt help the buyers, but atleast you wouldnt have to worry about your side

That's allowed? Our realtor was adamant that at least one of us had to physically be present at the title company. I would definitely LOVE to handle it all from here and FedEx it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
4,475 posts, read 2,446,103 times
Reputation: 12498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
That's allowed? Our realtor was adamant that at least one of us had to physically be present at the title company. I would definitely LOVE to handle it all from here and FedEx it back.

I think this is one of those situations where local customs make all the difference. It's not the same everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 03:11 PM
 
53 posts, read 10,472 times
Reputation: 46
I would suggest talking with the title company in charge of the closing. When we purchased our home in Florida, we closed on a Friday in the county in which the title company and property were located. The sellers, however, had signed off on their side of things the Monday prior, in a county a few north of ours. So I know that at least here in FL the buyers and sellers don't seem to have to be "closing" on the same date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 04:37 PM
 
Location: northern va
1,569 posts, read 2,051,050 times
Reputation: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
That's allowed? Our realtor was adamant that at least one of us had to physically be present at the title company. I would definitely LOVE to handle it all from here and FedEx it back.
absolutely (when the seller, and assuming the title company and/or lender doesnt have a policy against mail aways).. I just did it a couple months ago for a sale of a property in PWC where my seller client lived in RIchmond and didnt want to come up..

Whenever I've had a seller client do it, we just scan at the notary/title company we're using locally and have it emailed, prior to dropping in the mail, so the title company youre using can verify no initials/poor signatures etc, that way you can catch it before sending the package out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 PM
 
Location: northern va
1,569 posts, read 2,051,050 times
Reputation: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think this is one of those situations where local customs make all the difference. It's not the same everywhere.
Agreed

In this case, OP should be fine doing this (provided the title company and/or buyers lender dont have a problem with it). I do it all the time on the seller side here in Northern VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
2,519 posts, read 1,113,151 times
Reputation: 6112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Agreed

In this case, OP should be fine doing this (provided the title company and/or buyers lender dont have a problem with it). I do it all the time on the seller side here in Northern VA

I will definitely ask my realtor about this again. It would certainly make our lives easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top