Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

You should go outside, drive around the block, come back and look at your house as if your were a buyer going to buy it. Then see what needs to be done. Don't forget, to check and see how many homes nearby are for sale or in foreclosure, that makes a big difference in the quality of the neighborhood for value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM

206 posts, read 1,135,092 times
We've lowered our price 3 times since putting it on the market in July. We've had TWO phone calls, ONE showing... just last week !!!

It sucks... we are in line with the comps, have cleaned the place out, painted inside and out, had 2 open houses, are in Homes & Land every month, on multiple websites, craigslist etc... We've done over 50,000 in upgrades in the last 4 years. We will walk away with just barely enough to pay for the moving van if we sell at our current price. OR we will fire the realtor, attempt to sell for a lower price on our own because we won't have to pay a commission.

There are houses for sale on every street on every block .... 4 on my street alone which is about 1 mile long. Many are empty, many are foreclosures.

At the end of May I will be moving with my granddaughter and the dogs to the new house we have built, leaving my husband here to continu to work and live in an empty house. We need his salary to pay all the mortgages.

It sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do. ... hopefully it won't be a long separation.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
We've lowered our price 3 times since putting it on the market in July. We've had TWO phone calls, ONE showing... just last week !!!

It sucks... we are in line with the comps, have cleaned the place out, painted inside and out, had 2 open houses, are in Homes & Land every month, on multiple websites, craigslist etc... We've done over 50,000 in upgrades in the last 4 years. We will walk away with just barely enough to pay for the moving van if we sell at our current price. OR we will fire the realtor, attempt to sell for a lower price on our own because we won't have to pay a commission.

There are houses for sale on every street on every block .... 4 on my street alone which is about 1 mile long. Many are empty, many are foreclosures.

At the end of May I will be moving with my granddaughter and the dogs to the new house we have built, leaving my husband here to continu to work and live in an empty house. We need his salary to pay all the mortgages.

It sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do. ... hopefully it won't be a long separation.
Thanks for providing yet another example of why you should never buy before you sell...all of your heartache could've been avoided.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 PM

206 posts, read 1,135,092 times
Heartache.... I said nothing of such things. We bought our 60 acres of farm property over 3 years ago, spent the time to fix up what we have... and THEN started building a home. Just bad timing is all. Compared to other things, including heartache, we have endured in our lives / marriages... this is a F*** cake walk ! Just trying to keep our heads above water and our sanity too. I'm just letting the OP know that they are not alone... many other's in the same boat.

Thanks again Jack for yet another negative response.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Thanks for providing yet another example of why you should never buy before you sell...all of your heartache could've been avoided.
Gee, can't you ever show a little empathy for some of the poor folks going through tough times????

Old 04-18-2008, 09:43 AM

432 posts, read 1,879,465 times
Not everyone has the option of waiting to buy before they sell. People who must relocate either face the choice of buying now or renting and moving again later. If you have a family, the prospect of moving again is not an attractive one.

However, for those of us who can wait, there's an attitude that we're just not serious because we're just not desperate.

I have had a lot of showings - am at the starter end of the market - there are buyers - and they are all afraid to buy right now. Or they think they can and really can't. And the predators are just really annoying.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Gee, can't you ever show a little empathy for some of the poor folks going through tough times????
Empathy is for family and friends. Buying and selling a house is a business decision. CJ makes a good point for others to follow. The cost of stress isn't worth many thousands of dollars to some people.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Heartache.... I said nothing of such things. We bought our 60 acres of farm property over 3 years ago, spent the time to fix up what we have... and THEN started building a home. Just bad timing is all. Compared to other things, including heartache, we have endured in our lives / marriages... this is a F*** cake walk ! Just trying to keep our heads above water and our sanity too. I'm just letting the OP know that they are not alone... many other's in the same boat.

Thanks again Jack for yet another negative response.
Maybe you can rent the house after you move and wait for real estate to turn around to sell.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
Not everyone has the option of waiting to buy before they sell. People who must relocate either face the choice of buying now or renting and moving again later. If you have a family, the prospect of moving again is not an attractive one.

However, for those of us who can wait, there's an attitude that we're just not serious because we're just not desperate.

I have had a lot of showings - am at the starter end of the market - there are buyers - and they are all afraid to buy right now. Or they think they can and really can't. And the predators are just really annoying.
It's a tough time for sellers right now. We can't see the bottom of this mess and the banks, etc. just don't want to come clean and lay it all out for the public to see.

Not knowing if this is the tip of the iceburg or the bottom makes it hard for everyone dealing with real estate these days no matter where you live.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that you have to compete against so many foreclosures and empty houses. FL is taking a beating these days.

I agree with the poster who suggests you might be able to rent your place out. Any chance of that, or is it also hard to find renters, or good renters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate