Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times

Advertisements

Say, because I have some marketing background: That I don't think the "wording" or pictures are entising enough on the house listing...

I can really sell our house better then the RE on the listing - how much am I allowed to "help"?? Truly - we'd do sell by owner, but because we relocated out of state we need someone there to do it.

I'm worried if I overstep my bounds too much they won't work on getting us the best deal in the sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
My agent had no problem with me giving feedback. I would just say" you know, I am not crazy about the wording you used in your ad for our home...do you think you could change it to say XXX?"

Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
The real estate agent is working for you; if you don't like what he/she is doing, just politley tell her you think the wording could use some tweaking.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Too bad your agent did not sense or ask if you wanted to review the copy and pictures before hand. Many owners enjoy the fuss associated with sitting down with their agent and jointly picking the best pictures.

Oh well, you can certaintly have a " do over" with your agent.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 PM

34 posts, read 135,231 times
Yes you can have your agent change the wording-I wasn't fond of what are agent wrote so I came up with my own discription of the house and gave it to her. Your agent works for you-your trying to sell your house do what you think is right. Pics and discription of the home is so important in this day and age because so many people shop for a home on line. Good Luck!!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,613 times
I agree, you are the one forking over $$$. Write it up and present it to him/her for review. :-)

Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
I think I do a pretty good job of wording descriptions and a good job of taking photos. However, I still request the owners help. I want their input. They may be able to do it much better than me anyway, and it's all about doing what works to get the home marketed in the best manner.

When I take photos I like to have the owner with me because it's easier for two pair of eyes to see something that should or shouldn't be in the photo.

The owner also knows what they like about the house, and their views on the angles of the shots and the wording of the descriptions will probably be the same as prospective buyers will like.

So by all means give the agent your input and make sure you are absolutely satisfied with everyone of the photos and the description wording.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 PM

540 posts, read 2,174,190 times
I always encourage my sellers to be involved in writing the advertising...chances are the things THEY loved about the house will be what the NEXT owner will love, so it makes sense.

That said, in Oregon (and I'm sure many other states), any advertising (by law) has to be run through the Principal Broker to ensure that it complies with Fair Housing laws! So even if it is compelling and enticing...it pays to make it "legal" too.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Just ask your agent.

I had a house listed once owned by two attorneys. One a RE attorney.

I gave them a copy of the MLS input sheet. I also ask top 6 things you love about this house/area/street...

I wrote the copy for the flyers and the MLS using "Real Estate Advertising Made Easy" Randall/Edwards. We were getting 6 showing a week. Very good for an above average house. The RE attorney asked to change the wording to hers. Then told me I couldn't edit it, so I changed MLS. But she used more words then we had space for. Showings dropped to 2 a week, she ended up renting it...what a waste.

You have to be careful to be in the "I want to be helpful" in your partnership with a REP and not in the "I can do it better than you." Control Freak mode.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:21 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I know my sellers always look over the listing and I ask them for changes if they want any. It's not a big deal.

The one flaw I find with sellers is that they tend to be too "flowery" with language. There was a thread about this not too long ago where the seller didn't like what her agent had written. She wrote a sample of what she thought it should say, and it was waaayyy too long.

MLS's only have a limited about of room to display comments so keep that in mind. Otherwise, write a short snippet about the house and pass it along to the agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate