Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:25 PM

145 posts, read 499,140 times

Advertisements

We are selling our house and I got a call from the buyers agent informing me of the time they wanted the appraisal. I was going to be out of town and a pet sitter was watch my pets, so I tried to make a few phone calls to make it work but I couldn't. I called the buyers agent and told him that day just wouldn't work.... he got mad told me the appraiser could ONLY do it that time and said I was holding up the sale... he gave the appraiser my phone number and the appraiser called me and started chewing me out (at 8:30 at night)... so I in turn cut him down to size and told him there was absolutely no way he was getting in at that time even if I could make it work because he was being so rude. "I still live here and I have a right to say that time just doesn't work for me - tell me another time and we will see if it will work." He completely lost it and low and behold I get a call from my attorney saying the sellers attorney was accusing me of not allowing the appraisal.... I explained that there was no way I could make the one time they gave me work. Is it just me or are these people being down right wacko?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 PM

15 posts, read 33,238 times
Both the agent and appraiser sound out of line. Very rude. Could you get someone to let him in or do you have to be there? I'd tell them to go through your attorney from now on.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
I'm an appraiser

I'm a wacko

But I try not to be rude.

I do try to bend over backwards to accommodate other peoples schedules. I figure that if I can stop off at a promising pond and catch a couple of bass on a Tuesday morning, that I can work a little late another day. In fact, that is one of the reasons I became an appraiser.

That being said, I am perplexed that the buyers agent was involved in the setting of the appointment. I set my own appointments. I suggest a time and provide several options. We generally come to an agreement as to when we can spend the half to an hour and a half necessary to view and measure the property.

On occasion, I get a home owner who is adamant about me not interrupting their lives. They have to work all day, they have to go to church on Wednesday, they have a family reunion........what ever the excuse, I remind them that I, too, have a life, a family, and activities other than appraising that I enjoy. At such times, I explain to them that my inspection hours are between 10 AM and 3PM with an hour for lunch, five days a week. If they want to have their house appraised, I am available in those hours a week from next Tuesday. If that is inconvenient, I can fit you into my calendar a week later.

If the seller is pleasant, polite, and willing to work with me, I will be glad to come by tomorrow evening, Saturday afternoon.....I've even done the measuring and viewing on a Sunday, on occasion.

A suggestion for you is to let the attorney know that you are willing to meet the appraiser at several different times, any one of which would work for you equally well. If that is not acceptable, perhaps the lender should hire an appraiser that can meet you at one of those times.

I don't try to throw my weight around, but I will NOT be bullied, I will not be dictated to, and I am an independent sort of wacko.

So, provide reasonable options for the appraiser to get his job done and still make it home in time for his daughters softball game. Provide several. If the appraiser is not willing to accommodate you, ask that they get another appraiser. If you **** the appraiser off, he could very well kill the deal. If you are at odds with the current appraiser, explain to the lender or the buyers agent your concerns and ask that they get another appraiser. they have every right to get any appraiser they want, but YOU have the right to allow who YOU want to enter your house.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM

50 posts, read 128,605 times
I am not quite sure I understand. You shouldn't be there at all when the appraisal is done. Was it an issue with the pets?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
How come sellers have to be gone? We just had appraisal done and were there, in fact the appraiser forgot his key lock thingy and had the listing service call to make sure we were there to let him in.

Regarding the OP, yes, sounds wacko to me.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
There's no reason why the seller shouldn't be there when the appraisal is done. I'm assuming the OP is a FSBO. Generally it's the listing agent that would get the call in order to gain access. There is NO reason why the appraiser should be there in the house alone. I don't know why the buyers agent didn't volunteer to be at the house with the appraiser or offer to assist to work it out somehow.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:46 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmtklein View Post
We are selling our house and I got a call from the buyers agent informing me of the time they wanted the appraisal. I was going to be out of town and a pet sitter was watch my pets, so I tried to make a few phone calls to make it work but I couldn't. I called the buyers agent and told him that day just wouldn't work.... he got mad told me the appraiser could ONLY do it that time and said I was holding up the sale... he gave the appraiser my phone number and the appraiser called me and started chewing me out (at 8:30 at night)... so I in turn cut him down to size and told him there was absolutely no way he was getting in at that time even if I could make it work because he was being so rude. "I still live here and I have a right to say that time just doesn't work for me - tell me another time and we will see if it will work." He completely lost it and low and behold I get a call from my attorney saying the sellers attorney was accusing me of not allowing the appraisal.... I explained that there was no way I could make the one time they gave me work. Is it just me or are these people being down right wacko?
My assumption is that a deadline is an issue here because of the date of the mortgage contingency, right?
I have got to say, and putting everything aside about the appraiser being a wacko, for the mere reason that I don't know exactly what he said to you; that there is no reason why the buyer's agent would not be the one to let them in the house, right? ...Why you feel, although you can be anywhere you want to be (but don't expect that if you are there that you are going to somehow sway the numbers by showing him how wonderful your house is, or find out then and there what your house is worth) that you absolutely must be there?
I am babbling. But to be clear, your buyer has a mortgage contingency, and he or she has probably locked in a decent rate, and don't want to loose it. If they can't get into your house to do the appraisal and process with underwriting, (and all the other things that are involved these days in getting a mortgage commitment on or before that date) your buyer could loose the rate, and may walk away from the deal.
The truth is, this all could be done in a matter of one hour if you would simply allow the buyer's agent or your agent to let the guy in and get it done. The other thing is that appraisers (believe it or not) are really busy right now because so many people are refinancing.
If I were you, I would let go of some of your control issues here, and just let the guy in to do his job and to keep your deal moving in a positive forward direction.
In other words, don't **** off your buyer, and try to make the goal of a smooth closing a priority.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Could be they're running behind and that day he wanted, is it a deadline of some sort? I find mostly when people go wacko over some apparantly insignificant delay or glitch, there is a whole 'nother agenda in there that you didn't notice.
Try to compromise. Have your agent be there.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
There's no reason why the seller shouldn't be there when the appraisal is done. I'm assuming the OP is a FSBO. Generally it's the listing agent that would get the call in order to gain access. There is NO reason why the appraiser should be there in the house alone. I don't know why the buyers agent didn't volunteer to be at the house with the appraiser or offer to assist to work it out somehow.
First of all, I refuse to enter an occupied house alone. I insist that if the seller can't be there, the seller's agent is there.

Second, I like the seller to be there so I can have some questions answered about the house.

Like Goodpasture said, we go out of our way to accommodate the client's client schedule, but this needs to be a two-way street.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
My first thought: How wonderful that you were able to sell your property in a housing market like this one!

My second thought: Yes, the appraiser was out of line to berate you for a schedule conflict; however, I think you should do whatever you need to do to get the appointment done, so you can move on with your life and put this all behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate