Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:58 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I think you are missing the point. Not everyone can get an MBA or a PhD or JD or MD. Those who can have a higher barrier to entry and have done something few can and they have a higher standard of hiring in their occupation. Only a fool thinks that a person with an MD is not better or more intelligent than a used car salesman or its equivalent. There is a reason FBI and other Federal agents MUST have at LEAST a bachelors degree. It ain't because someone with a GED is better Chief, regardless of whatever feel good statements you make.
For someone with a college degree, you're incredibly ignorant. Every agent in my office has a college degree. I myself have an MBA and two of my colleagues have JDs. There may be a few other advanced degrees in there that I'm missing as well. One agent I know for his undergrad degree went to Harvard.

Do my degrees make me any smarter than anyone else? Absolutely not. I know plenty of highly intelligent people who never even went to college. There's also different types of intelligence. Having what I like to call "street smarts" or even people skills can't be taught in a classroom and it certainly can't be measured with a test. These things are just as valuable in life as anything they might have taught you in college.

Quote:
Yes I went through another "multiple offer" situation today that I believe is false, hence why I'm posting. House sat for a month with no offers, and the day after I make an offer they have a multiple offer situation, even though the house is not even worth what I'M paying for it? It has intrinsic value to me as a rental property, but the house is worth 20K less than I'm paying and after sitting all this time it suddenly has multiple offers a day after I went to look at it, when there were no other offers?
That happens more often than you'd guess. If you think it's worth $20K less than what you've offered, then why did you offer so much? Did someone hold a gun to your head? I think Mike's post that you quoted from years ago says it all.

If you don't believe there's another offer, then just ignore that anyone said anything and see what happens.

Quote:
I'd have a lot more faith if there was some higher barrier to entry. Merely taking a person at their word for such a large transaction, just because of potential ethics violations that are difficult to prove because the system is geared in their favor isn't enough. No reasonable person would do so. I have a lot more faith in a Dentist or Doctor who tells me something, as there is a higher barrier to entry. It's not for every uneducated fool who can lie with a straight face to get rich quick.
So . . . having a piece of paper that says you read some books, went to some classes, and passed a few tests makes you a more honest person . . . yeah right . . . it doesn't sound to me like the person without the degree is the dummy in this situation.

Quote:
For all I know I'm dealing with a 19 year old kid of a sellers agent who was flipping burgers two weeks ago. Anyone can go become a realtor all of a sudden, in control of negotiation for a half a million dollar property and I'm supposed to take this person at their word that there are multiple offers? Not everyone can get an advanced or professional degree. Again, realtor = salesman, no different than a car salesman really. Barrier to entry? So low that anyone who wants to take a crack at it can try it. Lol, never mind, if I have to explain this to you, I've already lost...
Absolutely, barriers to entry are entirely too low in this industry. However, you're painting with an incredibly broad brush. Also, your insistence that requiring some kind of degree would make for higher quality real estate agents is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 02:47 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
The accusation is that agents lie about multiple offers because the educational requirements for agents are too low. The idea that honesty is correlated to education is silly.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:28 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Some of the biggest horse's patooties I know are those with MBAs, and PhDs, zero personal skills, only thing they know how to do is sit in a classroom. Sound familiar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The accusation is that agents lie about multiple offers because the educational requirements for agents are too low. The idea that honesty is correlated to education is silly.
Come on now.
There is no point in dragging Congress and the current bipartisan crop of presidential candidates into the discussion.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:57 PM

32,651 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Sometimes it just happens. I had a house listed for a full year with no response and all of a sudden, there were four good offers in a two day period. Potential buyers were informed that there were multiple offers and given the opportunity to modify their offer. After the house was in escrow, there were several back-up offers. Everything just happened all at once.

On the other side of the coin, I had an offer made on a house and their agent asked for highest and best offer and I declined, stating that my offer would stand like it was. They sold the house to someone else, which was fine with me. I knew how much I wanted to pay for the house and that was the end of it for me.

I've also offered more than the asking price when that was the best thing to do with that house. There were five offers at the end of the first day, but mine was the best, so I got the house. That agent didn't send the offers back to ask for highest and best offer.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
It happens. Our house was on the market for three months before we made an offer. There was another offer and they came back asking for our highest and best. We stuck with our original offer and got the house. The other offer had a home sale contingency and ours did not.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sometimes it just happens. I had a house listed for a full year with no response and all of a sudden, there were four good offers in a two day period.
Yes, real estate can be funny that way. My house was on the market for 2 1/2 months with nary a nibble, then in a matter of one weekend I got three offers on it. What changed? Who knows?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, real estate can be funny that way. My house was on the market for 2 1/2 months with nary a nibble, then in a matter of one weekend I got three offers on it. What changed? Who knows?
Tac-Sea put an offer in, then your agent called two of his buddies to throw something together to shake thing up

Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
We had a scam experience with a knucklehead in the Atlanta area. A property that was a tear-down, on record as owned by the bank, been on the market for years. We make an offer (granted low-ball but fair for what it was).
"Oh we have several offers that are more than that." So.....it's not for sale? wth?

Happened more than once in that market. And in blighted areas, too.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:31 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times
Unless you're in San Francisco if the seller's agent grins their scummy face from ear to ear and tries to claim there are multiple offers, you should at that moment cross out your current offer and lower it by an amount of your choosing, even if it's just a dollar.

I think most people are getting tired of the scare tactics, the falsified listings, the collusion, and the general BS that the real estate "profession" has allowed to become standard operating procedure.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:02 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Unless you're in San Francisco if the seller's agent grins their scummy face from ear to ear and tries to claim there are multiple offers, you should at that moment cross out your current offer and lower it by an amount of your choosing, even if it's just a dollar.
Sounds like a good idea.

Actually, Realtor magazine just came out with a list of the 30 most competitive neighborhoods in the country and 9 of them were in the Boston area. In fact, 4 of the top 10 are in the Boston area.

The 30 Hottest Neighborhoods in the Nation | Realtor Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I think most people are getting tired of the scare tactics, the falsified listings, the collusion, and the general BS that the real estate "profession" has allowed to become standard operating procedure.
Falsified listings? Collusion? I'd love to know what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate