Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
She said that if I sell on my own, the buyer's commission isn't a factor, so I sent this to my Facebook friends and email distribution lists today:

Want $1,000?

Just send a buyer with an offer we accept by December 31, 2009 and we will GIVE YOU $1,000. The buyer has to let us know (and you, too) that you sent them and we have to accept the offer. It is that simple!

Brilliant? Stupid? Interesting? What do y'all think?
Reword it to Offer it as a closing cost and have your agent add it to the listing details. But you still can't pay it to a head hunter, only to the actual buyer.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:38 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
I copied my agent on the email; I'll await her reply.

If I can sell my house FSBO and not be illegal, then why is it illegal to offer a "finder's fee?" Makes no sense at all.

Just because I list with an agent does not revoke my rights to sell it on my own.

I'll let you know what I find out.

I hate lawyers.
Actually it may. If you signed an "exclusive right to sell" it does.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 PM

42 posts, read 85,205 times
I like your idea....sorry to hear that it might not be legal.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:12 AM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times
It is illegal, and ill-advised, if the bird dog fee is not disclosed on the HUD1 and the buyer borrows to buy.

It is illegal if state laws restrict paying a bird dog fee to an unlicensed party, i.e., particularly if that party is unlicensed to represent a principal in a transaction. It is nearly impossible to find a buyer for a property without representing either the buyer or seller in some manner.

It is ill-advised to engage an illegal amateur to make representation of your property, in actively prospecting and procuring a buyer without knowing that the bird dog has training about lying to people about property disclosures and condition, exclusion of protected classes, or misrepresenting lending, inspections and repairs issues.
While a wronged buyer may not have recourse against a bird dog, they may well have recourse against you for engaging an illegal and untrained bird dog to defraud them and to misrepresent your property.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
No, the agent is NOT involved in this. It is cash from my own pocket and all applicable fees will be paid according to law. If someone comes as a referral using a buyer agent, I will pay that agent the full 3%. If they come WITHOUT an agent, then my agent will handle the paperwork for her regular fee.

I'm just trying to recruit some buyers using "out of the box" creative methods.

Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback!
I have not personally come across a situation, like this. As a listing agent, I cannot pay third party referral fees to non professionals.

I cannot find anything that would preclude the homeowner from paying a third party referral fee ( private party transaction) under the circumstances, you describe, in my state. This does not mean it's legal...just that I cannot find anything that says it's not legal.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:03 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,048,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have not personally come across a situation, like this. As a listing agent, I cannot pay third party referral fees to non professionals.

I cannot find anything that would preclude the homeowner from paying a third party referral fee ( private party transaction) under the circumstances, you describe, in my state. This does not mean it's legal...just that I cannot find anything that says it's not legal.
That's a good point MaM - and one that the OP's agent can answer. Illegal for them (the agent), but 'is it illegal' for the OP to offer incentive out of their pocket (and how should it be handled). Will be curious what the OP's listing agent says about the OP themself offering 'added incentive' and also, OP, like other's have said you should reword the facebook ad so it specifically says upon a closed transaction - if in fact your agent say's it IS legal for you, out of your pocket, to do this.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:35 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

It's spelled out specifically in our ORS (Oregon Revised Statutes). That's interesting that Illinois doesn't spell out finder's fees.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:33 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,048,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It's spelled out specifically in our ORS (Oregon Revised Statutes). That's interesting that Illinois doesn't spell out finder's fees.
This is one thing I really love about the RE forum - helps me keep up with the laws in various states. So SF, in Oregon it specifically addresses that a homeowner cannot pay a finder fee to an unlicensed third party?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:03 PM

756 posts, read 1,654,392 times
I researched the Arizona Revised Statutes (Arizona Revised Statutes) and finder's fees are not mentioned for real estate except for renting (it is allowed) and Time Shares (it is not allowed).

I did, however, find this on compensation:
32-2163 A. It is unlawful for any licensed broker in this state to employ or compensate, directly or indirectly, any person for performing any of the acts within the scope of this chapter if the person is not also a licensed broker in this state, or a salesperson licensed under the broker employing or compensating him, except that a licensed broker in this state may pay compensation to and receive compensation from a broker lawfully operating in another state.
Note that it applies to licensed brokers, not to home owners.

I have not heard back from my agent yet; I am assuming no news means no problem, but I will post anything I do hear.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:52 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
This is one thing I really love about the RE forum - helps me keep up with the laws in various states. So SF, in Oregon it specifically addresses that a homeowner cannot pay a finder fee to an unlicensed third party?
Yep. Finding a buyer for a house you don't own is considered "real estate activity" in Oregon. Anyone that accepts payment for real estate activity has to be a real estate licensee.

GF, I would look up the statute that defines real estate activity in Arizona. That should give you the definition used to determine who can be paid for real estate activity.

In Oregon your friends on FB would be welcome to send you a buyer, they just can't be paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate