Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 AM

43,377 posts, read 77,290,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Yes, the buyer agent works for the buyer and owes the buyer fiduciary duties. But it takes two parties to make a deal, and you are benefiting by getting your house sold.

You are paying your listing agent a total commission that then is split by your agent. Technically, you are not paying the buyer's agent commission, your agent is from their commission.

I'm not opposed to alternative buyer agent compensation models if they can be made to work. Lots of agents share your viewpoint. However, most buyers don't want to pay their agent when they can get "free" services by having the seller's listing agent pay.
With most buyers offering less than ideal cash positions, and little money down, they need to finance the commission payments in the loan.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 AM

15,598 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post

I'm not opposed to alternative buyer agent compensation models if they can be made to work. Lots of agents share your viewpoint. However, most buyers don't want to pay their agent when they can get "free" services by having the seller's listing agent pay.

You know this goes both ways though. Agents tell buyers all the time that their service is "free" because we get paid via the listing agent. I do at least two deals every year where the buyer pays me directly. It's such a non-issue for them, but I don't think agents do the industry any favors when we tell buyers the service is "free."

I think a shift is occurring, very slowly, but I think more buyers are getting comfortable paying their agent directly. I DO think the outcome of that is that buyers will be more picky about their agent...and honestly, that's not a bad thing.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,833,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It's spelled out specifically in our ORS (Oregon Revised Statutes). That's interesting that Illinois doesn't spell out finder's fees.
Update....

It's not legal in Illinois. The third party would need a real estate license to accept a fee for referral.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM

756 posts, read 1,655,842 times
Thx. I'm still waiting to hear from my brother and I also wrote to a RE lawyer I know. I'll report back.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM

My brother is an employment lawyer, not in RE. Nonetheless, this was his reply (to the credit of most of you and to my chagrin, of course. One of you nailed this exactly as he replied. I am still waiting to hear from the RE lawyer.) Of course, I don't think the person who sends me a buyer is acting as a RE agent any more than I think a newspaper is acting as one by sending someone in reply to an ad. But I think I have proven already that I have a strong opinion totally unsupported by the law.

mea culpa
Without spending a lot of time researching it, I would say that to be acting as a real estate agent one must first be an agent. You are not an agent for yourself.

The question I have is that if you are offering me cash to bring you a buyer, am I acting as an agent by soliciting buyers? Then the question is not about the cash offer, but acting as an agent without a license.

It may not be illegal for you to offer cash to the buyer, but it might be illegal for the agent (middle man) to accept payment for sending you a buyer.

Of course, this is not based on anything other than a general knowledge of the law. I haven’t had time to specifically research the issue.

Last edited by GuyFriendly; 11-23-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: took out coding

Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 AM

The reply from the lawyer.
Paying referral or finder's fees to unlicensed people is indeed prohibited. Cordially,

Robert [name withheld], Esq.

My apologies to everyone. Hard lesson learned. You know your stuff and I am just a stubborn old man.

This thread came be closed.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 AM

40,976 posts, read 49,295,196 times
I do believe we all here wish you a quick sale and the highest money you can get for your home. Have a great Thanksgiving.

As I mentioned, anyone who can use the word Y'all correctly is a stand up guy IMO.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 AM

43,377 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I do believe we all here wish you a quick sale and the highest money you can get for your home. Have a great Thanksgiving.

As I mentioned, anyone who can use the word Y'all correctly is a stand up guy IMO.
What Rakin said.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM

15,598 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
The reply from the lawyer.
Paying referral or finder's fees to unlicensed people is indeed prohibited. Cordially,

Robert [name withheld], Esq.

My apologies to everyone. Hard lesson learned. You know your stuff and I am just a stubborn old man.

This thread came be closed.
I think you're going learn to like we agents on here, and I think we all think you are just doing your best to get your house sold.

Just read our posts with a matter of fact tone, not defensive, and I think you'll see we just don't want to see any consumers hurt in the process of buying and selling homes. We do our best to educate consumers (and often each other), and poke fun at each other in the process.

P.S. We are all stubborn and passionate too. Although, I am just a stubborn half old woman...

Old 11-23-2009, 12:51 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,597,409 times
Best of luck on selling your home! I also learn a great deal here, main reason I participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate