Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 AM

22 posts, read 75,800 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...I am trying to sell a beautiful home with a sloped backyard. We have a patio and screened deck....a small flat backyard...then it slopes down. We have had a lot of comments about the slope and wonder what would make it more "sellable?" Groundcover (flowers) down the hill? Stone walk path down the hill?

People have been voicing complaints about kids running on the hill....but we have kids and they love it and have never been hurt. How do I get the potential buyers over this?

We were afraid to put a lot of money into a retaining wall because some people would like one big space...others would probably like multiple flat areas...so it seems too personal for us to decide on.

What do you guys think we should do? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
I've lived off and on in the NC mountains over the years, so a sloped backyard is no big deal to me. Without actually seeing it, it sounds like someone is using the slope as an excuse, not a reason. I agree with your analysis; I wouldn't recommend putting too much money into something that could be very personal for someone else. Groundcover might be the ticket. That would create a visual separation from the rest of the yard. However, as my realtor used to tell me, it only takes one buyer....

Old 03-19-2010, 11:17 AM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
Check out prices in the Berkeley Hills. 50 x 100 with a 20 degree slope............

Old 03-19-2010, 11:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
When we bought our current home I didn't realize we had the opposite problem...we have a slope that goes TOWARDS the house and now when it rains we have to wait days for it to dry up...nice little valley in the middle of the yard that pools water. I just told my husband the other day that I wish we had a yard that was either flat or sloped the other way.

Anyway...when we sold a home many years ago we gave a $1K credit to any buyer for any repairs they may need to make. I know some people offer a painting allowance and things like that.

Are you selling by owner or do you have an agent? Your agent should have some advice to help you with this.

I can say this: when we bought our home I didn't notice the yard as it was winter and snow on the ground. However, if I HAD noticed it I can't say it would have kept me from buying the home...at the time I loved the house and probably would have bought it regardless.

Good luck! It only takes one buyer!

Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Most families with kids want a home with a relatively flat or minimum sloped backyard if possible so the kids can kick a ball, play and have full use. A very sloped backyard is something that is harder to sell and when you purchase you need to realize it is a negative to most people. If there are similar homes, similar prices with flat backyards they will sell before yours.

There are not a lot of options other than what you mentioned or pricing a little below comps and finding that right buyer like RoadPony who might think a steep slope is acceptable.

Tough decision on your end but if the house has been on the market awhile something needs to be done. You have a lot of competition.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
You bought the house and it didn't bother you, so someone else will come along whom it doesn't bother either. You can't possibly react to every little criticism, as soon as you do, someone else will come along and want just the opposite.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Check out prices in the Berkeley Hills. 50 x 100 with a 20 degree slope............
Great, now the OP just needs to figure out how to move the property to Berkeley .

Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
When we bought our current home I didn't realize we had the opposite problem...we have a slope that goes TOWARDS the house and now when it rains we have to wait days for it to dry up...nice little valley in the middle of the yard that pools water. I just told my husband the other day that I wish we had a yard that was either flat or sloped the other way.
A good lesson as you start your RE career. A home with a slope toward the house is a tough sell and asking for trouble with heavy rains. I usually always advise a client to move on with a slope like this.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
... Without actually seeing it, it sounds like someone is using the slope as an excuse, not a reason. I agree with your analysis; I wouldn't recommend putting too much money into something that could be very personal for someone else. Groundcover might be the ticket. That would create a visual separation from the rest of the yard. However, as my realtor used to tell me, it only takes one buyer....
I'll agree, when our house was on the market we had people complain that the yard was too small, the house wasn't plumbed for gas and the carpets needed to be replaced. When we were on a cul-de-sac lot, so one of the biggest yards in the neighborhood. The house was plumbed for gas for the stove, cooktop, dryer and backyard. And we had a $2000 allowance for recarpeting.

I've come to the conclusion that many buyers, or their agents are either idiots or they can't or are just too lazy to read.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Very true...we have learned A LOT over the years and 7 transactions. A Lot of what not to do, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A good lesson as you start your RE career. A home with a slope toward the house is a tough sell and asking for trouble with heavy rains. I usually always advise a client to move on with a slope like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate