Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Its 12:56AM here and now I'm craving a tuna salad > Looks like I will be hitting the store first thing in the morning :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The same thing happened to me after reading the thread. :D
You mean that you do not, as a matter of course, always have on hand several cans of tuna in your kitchen pantry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 03:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
You mean that you do not, as a matter of course, always have on hand several cans of tuna in your kitchen pantry?
I do but it's that newly discovered mush crap from China or somewhere I'm never gonna eat.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:40 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I have to share the most amazing tuna salad recipe I've ever tasted. I simply LOVE this recipe- it has some rather unusual ingredients in it- but when they all mix together, the taste is delicious.

Its called Barbie's Tuna Salad on allrecipes.com

Ingredients

• 1 (7 ounce) can white tuna, drained and flaked
  • 6 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
  • 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried minced onion flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1 pinch garlic powder

Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I have to share the most amazing tuna salad recipe I've ever tasted. I simply LOVE this recipe- it has some rather unusual ingredients in it- but when they all mix together, the taste is delicious.

Its called Barbie's Tuna Salad on allrecipes.com

Ingredients

• 1 (7 ounce) can white tuna, drained and flaked
  • 6 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
  • 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried minced onion flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1 pinch garlic powder

E E, isn't it great?!? The author of that recipe is actually my friend!!! I have posted a review and a picture of that tuna salad. I love it! I actually already posted about it in this thread! http://www.city-data.com/forum/17156575-post10.html

Old 05-22-2011, 10:30 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Oh, that is cool!! I love that recipe. I've given it away to many friends too. I always have wondered how the parmesan cheese got in there- that is not something I would have thought to put in tuna salad.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Ok, so I had to make Barbie's Tuna Salad again this afternoon. I used Bumblebee solid white albacore packed in water. Soooooooo yummy!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
How come my tuna salad never comes out the same way as when it's ordered out? Whats the secret ingredient? Tuna from the bagel store or deli is so good. I can never get mine to come out the same way.
I use mayo, tsp of mustard and relish. Sometimes chopped up egg, s/p, onion, a dash of dill. What am I missing?
everyone makes it different but I think you are putting too much in it. I will add, in the restaurants they use more mayo than most of us. I don't like it too runny>

I use: mayo, (not salad dressing) dill picke (never relish or sweet pickle) a little green onion and a little celery. It always is yummy!!!

My mom used sweet relish or sweet pickle as well and hers wasn't nearly as good as my friends who used dill.
Nita

Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think you need LOWER quality tuna. I always buy white, packed in water, but I found it very tasteless and not "fishy" enough tasting, so I switched to a darker tuna, packed in oil and it was much better. Sometimes I mix the solid white with the dark tuna. Into that, I put celery and mayonnaise (Kraft), sometimes a bit of chopped sweet pickle or a bit of minced onion.
you know what, I think you have a point. I do use white, it is really good, but the tuna itself isn't as tasty. It is like using nothing but chicken breast for some things; the whole chicken is where the flavor is.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Miracle Whip is vomitous. Sweetness does NOT belong in my tuna salad, egg salad, potato salad, macaroni salad, or anywhere near a sandwich. I also abhor sweet relish for this reason. Puke. Mayo all the way. I definitely can't deal with places that make their salads with Miracle Whip, and I ALWAYS ask. It's pretty much the only thing I'll send something back over, and even then, only if I've already specifically asked and been erroneously reassured that the place uses mayo. But Miracle Whip is sick.

I totally agree.

I haven't had a tuna sandwich in forever - but if I make it I use White Albacore in water, onion, celery and dill pickle or dill relish and mayo, salt and pepper. I prefer to make it one day and eat it the next - I have seen it with egg and get grossed out - hubby will toast bread, drain tuna put it on toast with a slice of cheese and broil it until the cheese melts into the tuna - not my cup of tea.

Last edited by House4kids; 08-22-2011 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: adding more info

Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I took a really simple tuna wrap for my lunch today that eschewed the mayo entirely, and it was surprisingly good. I used yellowfin tuna, canned in olive oil, drained...mixed with a few spoonfuls of prepared pesto, and a pinch of shredded parmesan. Let the flavors mingle in the fridge over night, and made a wrap with a tortilla, a little bed of salad greens, a scoop of the tuna/pesto/parm mixture, sprinkled on a little bit of mozzarella. A lot of flavor without the heaviness of mayo...although I love mayo, I was looking for something different. I really liked the tuna/pesto combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes