Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times

Advertisements

This is my first contribution to the food/recipe thread, so some of you veterans here go easy on me! But here's what I've got smoking on my grill right now: Stuffed Jalapenos!

Start with your jalapenos, cutting them lengthwise in half. Scoop out the white membrane in the center, along with all seeds. (Leave some of the seeds for extra kick!)

Once you've hollowed out your peppers, it's time to start the filling.

I used 1 canned chicken breast and about half a cup of cream cheese. (Note: this is for 10 peppers, each about 2" long. The recipe will vary based on the size of your peppers.)

Mix in bar-b-q sauce and garlic powder, mash until evenly mixed.

Fill each pepper with a small scoop of the filling.

Take bacon strips, cutting a single strip into thirds (halves for larger peppers) and lay across the top of the peppers.

Prepare on charcoal with apple wood using indirect heat! You don't want to completely char the bottoms of the peppers but you need the bacon to cook through. Grill/smoke for about 45-50 minutes or until the bacon is cooked.

Hope you enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Sounds great!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:38 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,938 times
I'd never thought of filling them with meat, like shredded chicken, before. I'll bet that barbeque chicken flavor goes really well with jalapenos!

I have a similar recipe, with a different flavor, for the oven.

Mix one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch powder mix, one brick of cream cheese (room temp) and two tablespoons of sour cream. Using a hand mixer really helps.

Cut the stem off your jalapeno, slice lengthwise, remove the seeds, fill with the cream cheese mixture, and wrap half a slice of bacon around the entire pepper and insert a toothpick to hold it. (I use thick-cut, hardwood smoked bacon.) Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until bacon is desired crispness.

You get the flavor of the jalapeno without the heat. It's probably one of my most requested appetizer/finger foods at get-togethers. If you're not a ranch dip fan, just flavor your cream cheese with anything that appeals to you, like minced or roasted garlic. Get creative!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 PM

That's a good one for the oven. I'm sure there are dozens of ways you can make these. I had tried the wrapping the bacon all the way around thing, but on the grill that was a disaster.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
sounds tasty but too spicy for me

Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,095,371 times
That sounds really good, but I think it would be better with cheddar cheese...

Old 12-15-2011, 08:43 PM

I actually tried it with cheddar as well. It works, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. But I prefer the cream cheese/chicken filling myself.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
sounds tasty but too spicy for me
You'd be pleasantly surprised, lubby. When you cut the jalapenos in half and remove the seeds, remove the thin ribs as well. That's where all the spice and heat is - the seeds and ribs. The flesh is just pure flavor.

The cream cheese filling also really, really tones down the flavor of the jalapeno. Throw in the bacon (more accurately, the fat of the bacon) and the taste of jalapeno is incredibly light.

I'd really recommend trying iknowftbll's recipe with the chicken and barbeque sauce combination. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you love them. I've fed them to folks who think plain black pepper is too spicy for them and they loved them.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That's a good one for the oven. I'm sure there are dozens of ways you can make these. I had tried the wrapping the bacon all the way around thing, but on the grill that was a disaster.

I tried that with about 50 jalepenos once...it started quite the bonfire!

I like thm with chedder cheese but mix with mexican blend b/c it doesn't melt as much. I use cooked chicken as a plug (I only cut off the top). I recently started cooking the bacon about halfway first so the cheese doesn't all drip out. I put sweet bbq sauce on top about a minuye before I take off the grill.Yumm!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
I'm really wanting to make a version of these...soon!

Anyone tried using habaneros?! I'm a spice freak. I'd probably dice up the habaneros and put a little into the cheese mixture...and stuff into regular jalapenos.

I'd also like to whip up a batter and deep fry them! Omg I'm hungry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes