Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,124 times

Advertisements

Why is it all European cakes', pies & cookies taste so much better , even the supermarket buns ,cakes ect tastes so good over there, the cream tastes like cream, even the breads over there tastes like bakery breads, our breads are too sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 02:29 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I agree about both bakery and box cakes tasting odd. They share a funny, fake vanilla taste.
I'm not above eating them anyway sometimes, but I'd rather have homemade.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:07 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I wonder if Sandra Lee from Semi-Home Made fame would have tips for you.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Wow a lot of you must have really horrible bakeries where you live. Our bakeries make amazing cakes. And cannolis. And italian cookies, and hamentashen, and bear claws, and pastries.

Are you folks talking about supermarket bakeries? I know they use industrial mixes for their cakes. The "real" bakeries in our area are all made from scratch every day, mostly to order though they all have a few common varieties on hand, like an italian cream with buttercream frosting, and a carrot cake with real cream cheese frosting, etc. etc.

My cake's great, but that's because I use Duncan Hines devil's food cake, jumbo eggs instead of large eggs, and I make the frosting from scratch with just corn starch, butter, boiling water, sugar, and baker's unsweetened chocolate squares.

Duncan Hines does some pretty awesome Devil's Food cake!

Old 05-19-2014, 10:12 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default European Desserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Why is it all European cakes', pies & cookies taste so much better , even the supermarket buns ,cakes ect tastes so good over there, the cream tastes like cream, even the breads over there tastes like bakery breads, our breads are too sweet.
Maybe because they tend to use real ingredients and the best of those, nothing artificial, and they care about freshness. They even know that the milk from different cows taste different and so the products from a certain breed has different flavors (also what the cow eats is important). In Europe, if the baked goods are stale they will throw it out or take it home to eat themselves, but they will not sell them to customers. If a customer eats something stale, what are the chances he/she will be back? Repeat business is more valuable than what is lost on stale pastries.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:56 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Couldn't help but see the comments about European baking and such. I only wish we had some old fashioned, real good bakeries here in Las Vegas

Just a couple of the hotels have bakeries, The Rio, Red Rock Resort and The Venetian come to mind. Not a lot of items, mostly cakes. We have one bakery that's been around for a long time, one location and all they really specialize in is cakes. Other so called bakeries have extremely limited variety and usually empty shelves, even if you go early in the morning.

There's a fairly decent {and I use the term loosely} bakery in The Bagel Café here in town, it's a bagel joint-lunch joint-semi-bakery type place with just a fair amount of items you find in a regular bakery. Our supermarkets are usually where the locals go for baked goods, meaning most supermarkets have their own bakeries but they have little variety and ALWAYS the same things.

Oh dang, I'd love to see a bakery like this here in Las Vegas. It's in Germany. Oh well, back to doctoring up box mix cakes for me, lol
Attached Thumbnails
How to make a boxed cake mix taste like a bakery cake-dsc07106.jpg  

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 05-20-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 03:51 PM

927 posts, read 1,459,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Did anyone ever try this trick on how to make boxed cake taste like it came from a bakery?
Step 1: Look at the directions on the cake mix
Step 2: Add one more egg (or add 2 if you want it to be very rich)
Step 3: Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount
Step 4: Instead of water, use milk.
Step 5: Mix well and bake for the time recommended on the box.

Makes sense if you think about it but I'm wondering if anybody here has done this.
try to add pudding mix to the box batter
and Sour Cream & Walmart has 5 pound buckets of it

Old 01-21-2017, 02:45 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Whipped cream has to be one of the best frostings. There are others that are good, too.
Whipped cream is my favorite frosting, especially chocolate. I put the cocoa and confectioners sugar in the bowl with the cream, give it all a stir, and refrigerate for half an hour before I whip the cream. It's good on chocolate cake, but I really, really like it on yellow cake.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:06 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
If you want a creamy texture, add an egg yolk, not the white. The white will lift the cake, but the yolk will make it smooth and rich.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Whenever I make a boxed cake (99% of the time I use boxed), I follow the instructions on the box, but rather than using a mixer I beat it by hand. Somehow it comes out a bit less smooth, with a little more texture. More like homemade, not necessarily bakery-made. It's a little tiring to mix/beat for 2 minutes, but the end result to me is worth it.

Last edited by puginabug; 01-25-2017 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes