Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sierra brand is the best. I usually have it on a tortilla with guacamole and cheese.
Sounds good. I'll add it to the list. I like beans and I like cheese but I've never cared for them combined. Maybe I need to try a different kind of cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Many serve them in a bean burrito...but they be a side dish as well...with onions and hot sauce for me, or if diluted a bit, as a dip with added salsa.

Any Mexican dish ie tostadas, enchiladas etc.

Also, can be added to pinto bean soup for thickness. I like refried black beans too...
These that I bought yesterday are black beans. It will be the first time I've had them from black beans. I'm looking forward to a burrito.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Tacos

Cook the beans with onion, tomato and jalapeno in chicken broth (hour and a half in the Instant pot or all day in the crock pot). Dice 12 oz bacon and another onion, cook in a hot skillet. Mash the cooked beans into the bacon and onion, stir until it starts bubbling, then remove from heat.

Make pico de gallo from diced tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and salt and lime juice.

Make homemade flour tortillas with lard. Put the beans in the tortillas, top with lots of grated cheddar and a little pico de gallo.
I think Hedgehog...Mom is a cook! Thank you. I'll have to put that on a recipe card. Might send it to my friend who is a cook also.

Thanks to you all. I have a list and some ideas now. Variety is the spice of life. hazel

Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Sometimes I serve them as a vegetable with melted cheese on top.

A favorite here is tostadas. I dip corn tortillas in hot oil until slightly stiff and drain. Spread with refried beans mixed with a little salsa and top with onions, sliced olives and cheese and run them under the broiler until the cheese melts.

Recently I used up some corn tortillas by lining a greased cake pan with layers of them alternating with refried beans mixed with salsa, fried meat crumbles, corn, black beans and onion and a couple of beaten eggs and then a layer of cheese. I baked it uncovered until it was heated through - about fifty minutes. Called it Mexican lasagna. Everyone liked it.

Because of adding the eggs it baked up firm and I could serve it sliced into squares with a topping of sour cream.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Sometimes I serve them as a vegetable with melted cheese on top.

A favorite here is tostadas. I dip corn tortillas in hot oil until slightly stiff and drain. Spread with refried beans mixed with a little salsa and top with onions, sliced olives and cheese and run them under the broiler until the cheese melts.

Recently I used up some corn tortillas by lining a greased cake pan with layers of them alternating with refried beans mixed with salsa, fried meat crumbles, corn, black beans and onion and a couple of beaten eggs and then a layer of cheese. I baked it uncovered until it was heated through - about fifty minutes. Called it Mexican lasagna. Everyone liked it.

Because of adding the eggs it baked up firm and I could serve it sliced into squares with a topping of sour cream.
Now that is different! Getting creative. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:04 PM

130,456 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Oh, it has to be simple in my kitchen. Otherwise I'd starve. Speaking of eating out of the can, we used to be able to buy very small cans of Pork and Beans. Almost totally beans with one chunk of pork fat. That made a great lunch. Can't find those small cans any more. We can still buy the pork and beans but too much for one lunch.

OK. Side dish with rice. Thank you.
Walmart has really small cans of beanie weinies, my elderly neighbor gets them there. They are good for a single portion.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Walmart has really small cans of beanie weinies, my elderly neighbor gets them there. They are good for a single portion.
Are those the small franks that are cut into pieces and stood on end in the can? I have used those in crock pot creations. And the small sausages can be used in a Welsh dish whose name is escaping me. It ends with "mash". Maybe someone will know. If not I have a friend who will know.

I have collected a nice list for the refried beans, thanks to everybody.

P.S. Bangers and Mash. Make a bowl of mashed potatoes and stand two or three small (already fried) sausages in them. No idea why sausages are called Bangers but that's all right. Tasty.

Last edited by Hazel W; 01-09-2018 at 01:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
Melt cheese on them; put them on top of tortilla chips, add cheese and other condiments (lol).

I make homemade nachos all the time and use refried beans, i love them. My Cuban b/f hates them!

Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
I use them as the base for Mexican pizza.

Spread on dough, top with enchilada sauce, cheese, chorizo, jalapenos. Bake and enjoy!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I use them as the base for Mexican pizza.

Spread on dough, top with enchilada sauce, cheese, chorizo, jalapenos. Bake and enjoy!
What kind of cheese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes