Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,129,246 times

Advertisements

I gotta say...canned refried beans...just aren't that great. Homemade for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
For a quick lunch, I put a corn tortilla on a plate and spread on about 3T refried bean. Then slices of cheese and some hot sauce. Put another corn tortilla on top and microwave about 45 secs. Dig in!

Old 02-03-2018, 12:39 PM

587 posts, read 225,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W
How do people use refried beans? Other than eating them straight from the can as I confess I often do. I like refried beans!
Thats how I eat them also..... I just got a can the other day..... They are quite good!!

Its good you enjoy them also Hazel

Old 02-03-2018, 07:14 PM

534 posts, read 489,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
With any type of eggs for breakfast. That's my favorite application.

I had never tried re-fried beans until I was in Mexico City on business. The hotel had a breakfast buffet and served beans but oddly no potatoes. OH MY GOD! If I could get their beans everyday with eggs I would never eat home fries again. To this day I have never had them as good so I don't eat them. If anyone is from Long Island and knows of a place that makes the real deal please chime in! I have a feeling lard was involved.
Refried beans with breakfast food is sublime. Yes, I do believe lard was involved. It's as if the lard and beans become an emulsion, there is such a creaminess and 'mouth feel'. I always use lard from heritage pigs, and I even rendered it myself once or twice, that's how much I prize lard!

That said, I definitely need to experiment with vegetarian-friendly saturated fat, because I want to be able to feed the non animal eaters too! I'm going to try coconut oil, I ordered some that is supposed to have a very mild taste. So we'll see how it goes!

Old 02-03-2018, 09:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
4 pages in & I'm surprised no one has mentioned using refried beans for Mexican style sandwiches, cemitas. Get a roll or hero roll & spread the hot refried beans on both sides. Add hot meat of choice, queso fresco cheese , shredded lettuce & tomato & your choice of pickled peppers, onion, cilantro &/or hot sauce. The beans hold everything nicely together in the roll. I prefer not to have the condiments cold ie., cheese, salsa, lettuce, etc... so that the sandwich stays warm. Yum...
The only Mexican sandwiches I have had have been machaca with onions, salt, guacamole (thin sauce), whole beans, and a squeeze of lime.

Cemitas sound good, though. I will definitely try this.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:18 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
Refried beans with breakfast food is sublime. Yes, I do believe lard was involved. It's as if the lard and beans become an emulsion, there is such a creaminess and 'mouth feel'. I always use lard from heritage pigs, and I even rendered it myself once or twice, that's how much I prize lard!

That said, I definitely need to experiment with vegetarian-friendly saturated fat, because I want to be able to feed the non animal eaters too! I'm going to try coconut oil, I ordered some that is supposed to have a very mild taste. So we'll see how it goes!
You can't beat the taste of good lard for Mexican food. Yes, there is such a thing a good lard vs. not-so-good lard. Not for vegans, though.

I once had a Mexican taxi driver laughing as he drove me around a small village to buy a pound of lard. The small grocery store that served the gringos didn't carry it. I finally asked him why he was laughing and he said he didn't know Americans ate lard. Boom! Another cultural stereotype busted all to heck.

On my last visit I ate at a place where the beans had been prepared with bacon grease. Was that good! Next day I went back - no bacon grease. Guess it depended on how many orders they got for bacon in the morning?

In the Yucatan they serve something they call cowboy beans and I don't care for them as much as the refried ones. They tend to be too soupy for my taste.

I can't eat that way all year around or I'd be waddling but, "When in Rome. . ."

Old 02-03-2021, 07:27 AM

226 posts, read 158,516 times
True Confession:

Years ago, a short time after I moved to Albuquerque,New Mexico,

I was in cafeteria line at work -

Lady serving food asks if I wanted some,

I replied -No thank you - I don;t care for chocolate pudding...

The whole line of patrons & server ladies - erupted in laughter---

No -it's not pudding -it's refried beans..!!!

That was a true learning experience.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:22 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
We have them when we have tacos. We throw cheese in there and heat it up and eat them straight

Old 02-04-2021, 01:52 PM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
I love beans in many different ways. But the one way I can't stand them is refried beans. Much as I love beans, you'd think refried would be top of the list. Nope. Not on the plate. Note in a burrito.

Old 02-04-2021, 02:42 PM

19,534 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
How do people use refried beans? Other than eating them straight from the can as I confess I often do. I like refried beans! What are some ways of serving them? Thank you.
We put a scoop or scoop 1/2 in our tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes