Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:12 PM

343 posts, read 229,954 times

Advertisements

I too love them. Serve them with rice and pretty much any stewy mexican dish or as a side for tex-mex like tostadas etc and they are wonderful. My favorite use for them is simply home-made refried beans (from canned or dry bagged beans) and some bagged tortillas and assemble into burritos and FREEZE them! These are so economical when you are at a loss of what to serve for dinner and are too tired/ busy/ whatever to cook. Just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes or put them in the oven til heated and serve.

For these I'll use whatever I have on hand, tomato, black beans, pinto beans, onion, green and/ or sweet bell pepper, mushroom, small cuts of broccoli etc. Cheese and meat are options as well of course. Try ground beef or shredded turkey, chicken or pork (not ham) from last night's leftovers. If I have jarred salsa I'll put some of that in too before wrapping the burritos. If not I'll add it over the top after reheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
I usually eat whole pintos, but those from the bottom of the pot usually get mashed and eaten as a leftover snack.

What I do is mash them with a pat of lard as I warm them, adding water as necessary for my desired consistency, then put them in a bowl with some shredded cheese.

Then I pour some heated red chile sauce on them, hot enough to melt the cheese, and garnish with iceberg lettuce and chopped tomato. Eat with a fork.

You could add onion, cilantro, green chile, jalapanos, or whatever as well. If you are very decadent, put a handful of Fritos in the bowl before adding the beans.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
From the can, as a dip for tortilla chips. Or as a filling for tacos, with cream cheese.

In Guatemala, my house-mother would cook beans for rice-and-beans, and just reheat them every day. The texture of the beans changed from whole to refried over about five days, and was always used thed samed, aside the rice. Refried are very nice on rice. I actually liked them better refrfied, than on the first day when the beans were discreet and entero in the sauce.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM

534 posts, read 489,655 times
I eat refried beans almost daily, they are my favorite food! I live in NM where I can get fresh pintos in fall right from the farm that grew them...good fresh beans elevate refried to a divine level. I cook the dry pintos in the oven in a clay pot, this gives a wonderful evenly-cooked yet firm texture that I can't get in a metal pot or a pressure cooker, especially not at my altitude. Then I refry them with lard from pastured pigs and also black pepper (the beans are already salted, and the flavor concentrates as the liquid cooks down.)

I buy the sprouted corn tortillas at Sprouts, and crisp them in the oven. Then spread refried beans and top with cheese (I like raw sharp cheddar). If I have salad greens, I sometimes chop those up and make a big mound, then eat with salsa.

I also love to eat them with scrambled eggs at breakfast. I was raised in CA and Mexico and beans for breakfast with eggs is as standard as the midwest cornflakes and milk.

So very good! I am cooking pintos right now and can't wait to have them for dinner in a couple of hours! It sounds like a lot of work, for beans...but it's just so worth it.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
I use refried beans with melted cheese and a salsa to make a thick rich tortilla chip dip.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:39 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Nachos or Chalupas. Crispy corn tortilla with beans and cheese. Lettuce and tomato is usually added to chalupa. The bean and tomato combination is unique.

Bean and cheese tacos in flour tortilla. Salsa.

Mexican side dish with a side of rice. Salsa on both or either (if the flavor goes well). I always like salsa over crispy or puffy tacos too, if they are part of the dinner. If there is extra lettuce and tomato I eat it with the beans.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Warm some refried beans in a small skillet or saucepan.

Add Mexican crema (or creme fraiche, or a 50/50 mixture of sour cream and butter milk) to the beans in a ratio of 1 to 1, or to desired thickness.

Add a bit of hot sauce such as Tapatio, Valentina, or similar if desired.

Drizzle (or pour) on anything. If you make it a little bit thicker, you can use it as a bean dip.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:23 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
4 pages in & I'm surprised no one has mentioned using refried beans for Mexican style sandwiches, cemitas. Get a roll or hero roll & spread the hot refried beans on both sides. Add hot meat of choice, queso fresco cheese , shredded lettuce & tomato & your choice of pickled peppers, onion, cilantro &/or hot sauce. The beans hold everything nicely together in the roll. I prefer not to have the condiments cold ie., cheese, salsa, lettuce, etc... so that the sandwich stays warm. Yum...

Old 01-29-2018, 02:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
4 pages in & I'm surprised no one has mentioned using refried beans for Mexican style sandwiches, cemitas...
I tried a torta with refried beans, and that combination just didn't work for me.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:59 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Make bean & cheese burritos with them, add them to burritos with meat, rice & pico de gallo, serve them as a side dish with an entree & rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes