Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:11 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is chili sauce you can find in the bottle, in near the Ketchup in the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 06:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I put mine (always buy a huge one as it freezes beautifully) lightly trimmed into a covered pan with beef stock, apple juice (equal quantities), lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic cloves and a 1/2 cup of Liquid Smoke. Liquid should come up to about 1/4 the height of the brisket. Bring to a boil on top of the stove then put into a 200 oven and let it cook overnight (about 8 hours). Remove from pan and discard juices, cool it, trim it up, slice it then put it back into the pan, pour some good BBQ sauce over it (this last step is optional) and put it into a 350 oven for half an hour. Perfect!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You are going to think this CRAZY, but I will PERSONALLY reimburse you the cost of the brisket if it is not the best you have ever had in your life!!!!

Oven Brisket

Ingredients

•4 to 6 pound beef brisket, visible fat untrimmed (adjust below for a larger brisket)
•1 12-ounce can Coca Cola
•1 envelope Lipton Dried onion soup mix
•1 cup bottled chili sauce

Directions

To make the Coca Cola Brisket, preheat the oven to 325°F (162°C).

•2. Pat the brisket dry with paper towels, if desired, to remove any moisture. Place it in a nonreactive roasting pan or a glass baking dish just large enough to fit the brisket. ( I use one of the cooking bags to ensure the moisture stays inside.)

•3. Mix the Coke, chili sauce, and dried onion soup mix in a bowl and pour it over the brisket. Cover the baking dish or roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil (or use a baking bag like I do). Bake the brisket until tender, about 30 minutes per pound, figure 2 to 3 hours, depending on the size of your brisket.

•4. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, skim the fat from the surface of the pan juices and discard. Pour the defatted pan juices into a gravy boat or, if a thicker consistency is desired, pour the juices into a saucepan and simmer until reduced slightly.

•5. Trim any visible fat from the brisket, then thinly slice it against the grain. Pile the slices on a platter and pass the warm pan juices on the side.

My husband is a SERIOUS BBQ King and even HE loves this recipe!!!!! (Not to mention the smell is so wonderful it will drive you CRAZY the entire time it cooks!)
I've got to try it. To dang hot to cook outside now. No heat needed outside.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I used to live near one of the largest Jewish community in my childhood. I had many a delish dinner at friends' houses there. One of my favorite was their brisket. It was literally brisket, ketchup with carrots and other goodies. But I remember the most is ketchup as I am not a fan of ketchup even as a kid. But it was really tasty. I wished I paid more attention in the kitchen instead of playing lol.

Nowadays it's all dry rub with a Western Carolina style bbq sauce. I have to try and look for a ketchup recipe just to see if I can recreate that dinner.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:36 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I used to live near one of the largest Jewish community in my childhood. I had many a delish dinner at friends' houses there. One of my favorite was their brisket. It was literally brisket, ketchup with carrots and other goodies. But I remember the most is ketchup as I am not a fan of ketchup even as a kid. But it was really tasty. I wished I paid more attention in the kitchen instead of playing lol.

Nowadays it's all dry rub with a Western Carolina style bbq sauce. I have to try and look for a ketchup recipe just to see if I can recreate that dinner.
That chili sauce is VERY close to ketchup in flavor (and I HATE ketchup on meat!) I am a Texas girl, ketchup is only good on fries and eggs! LOL

Old 05-10-2015, 05:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
8,99lb sounds like a flat cut of boars head, or you are shopping at whole foods

you can buy it for close to half that amount - call around even to butcher shops and IGA'S

good luck

id go with what has already been posted,,it will be delicious!!

Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

I'm Jewish and brisket is always a big deal in my family.

Here's my family's recipe:

What you need:
- Brisket (4-5 pounds) – make sure that you ask the butcher for “first cut”
- ½ cup of apple juice
- 1 envelope of (dry) onion soup mix
- Mustard
- Bay leaves
- Garlic powder

What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Put 3 large pieces of aluminum foil in the roasting pan, with the foil sticking up on all sides
- Put brisket in pan, with the non-fat side up
- On the non-fat side, smear on mustard (thin coating)
- Sprinkle on garlic powder
- Flip the brisket fat side up, and do the same with the mustard and garlic powder
- Leave the brisket in the pan with the fat side up
- Pour the apple juice over the brisket
- Sprinkle on the package of onion soup mix and spread evenly
- Put two bay leaves on top of the brisket
- Wrap the 3 pieces of foil all around the brisket, then cover the entire pan with another large piece of foil
- Put in oven for 3 ½ - 4 hours (at 350 degrees)
- At 3 ½ hours, open the foil and poke with fork to see if it’s tender yet
- When it’s done, let it rest for ½ hour
- Drain the gravy and put in a separate container
- Put the brisket in the fridge (carve it the next day)
- The gravy will have a layer of fat on top – skim that off
- Warm up the brisket (in the oven) and warm the gravy … serve

Here's my friend's recipe:

Brisket with Mushrooms & Wine

1 brisket (2 1/2 - 3 lbs or bigger)
2 medium onions
1 bag baby carrots (if cooking a big brisket, use a big bag or 2 small bags)
1 package sliced mushrooms (if cooking a big brisket, use 2 packages)
1 - 2 large cans of tomato sauce
olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons sherry cooking wine

heat small amount of oil in a dutch oven on top of the stove and add the brisket. brown brisket on both sides - while each side is browning, sprinkle the other side with salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste (not what is in the ingredient list).

**when I cook in the crock pot, I use a large frying pan to brown the brisket and onions. it is not 100% necessary - you can just pop the meat and onions into the crock without cooking them first, still comes out fine. I also cut the thing in half so it fits into the pot.

Chop onions and add to pot and brown them with the brisket. when both the onions and brisket are brown all over, add tomato sauce and 1 - 2 cups of water.

**if cooking in the crock pot, don't add water.

Add the carrots, mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic salt, worcestershire sauce and sherry.
Cook slowly, covered on top of the stove for about an hour for every pound of meat (ie: 2 1/2 lbs = 2 1/2 hours).

Makes a lot of gravy! (Onions, carrots and mushrooms make a great side dish too).

Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Ooh thanks Dawn, both look good! I remember the one I had was covered in the red glaze and thin onion rings. But I probably prefer brown sauce, will have to try the ones you posted!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Nmnita, Put it in the garage. Open the doors, put close to door, or something. My smoker used to be in a chicken house with 6' ceilings. Opened 2 doors, got air flow, and it was great. Never done it in an attached garage to a house, though.

another idea is to smoke it until it reaches about 160, that "lag" time. Then into foil pan, cover with foil, and into a 225-250 oven till it "gives up".

Wish you the best, and Happy Mothers Day!
Thanks for the hint and thanks to everyone. I did use a couple of basic suggestions here for my rub; put it in the oven last night for about 3 hours at 225 degrees. Then moved it to the smoker in the garage this morning. It should be done about 4 or 5pm. We plan of eating about 5:30 or so,depending on the kids. I had hoped they would all play outside, when I decided to host moms day. Now, with the weather, we will just have to eat when the kids start driving us crazy. One is 2 and a half, the other just turned 3 and they run non stop. I just figure at some point I will serve dinner, thank them for coming and let them know, they don't have to feel obligated to come back soon.

Oh, there is an 8 year old and the new baby as well. The 8 year old just watches her videos or something, the baby should sleep. The baby, along with the one on the way will be toddlers in about 18 months. When that happens, holiday meals will be passed on the the younger set I have a feeling.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Happy Mothers' Day, Nita!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes