Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times

Advertisements

I love Tres leche! We were in Puerto Rico last year and made it part of our trip to sample a different restaurant's version every night! Some places it was better than others of course. It was even our wedding cake!
Love it!!! I've never made it, I would love a good, authentic recipe.
Let us know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,164 times
You can buy it at Publix..

Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
Hmmm Food network has I think Im going to try it with some other tips from users, whipped cream, strawberries, OMG Yumm.
Mmmm from Publix? Has anyone tried one from Publix??

Old 04-16-2008, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,392 times
Default recipe

hi, i'm mexican and i think that the recipe you're looking for is also from mexico. anyway, here it is:[LIST][*]1 1/4 cup cake flour[*]1 teaspoon baking powder[*]1 cup sugar[*]1/3 cup oil[*]5 eggs, large[*]1 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract[*]1 cup plus 1/2 cup milk[*]1 cup sweetened condensed milk[*]1 cup plus 3/4 cup heavy cream[*]1 tablespoon rum[*]1 pinch salt[*]optional garnishes- fresh berries or cinnamon[/list]PREPARATION:

Combine flour and baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add the eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time until well combined. Stir in the 1/2 cup of milk, then gently fold in the flour mixture a little at a time.
Pour batter into a lightly greased cake pan or baking dish and bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cake cool until it feels room temperature. Turn it over onto a platter with raised edges. Pierce cake with a fork 20-30 times. Let it cool in the refrigerator for an additional 30 minutes.

Whisk together 1 cup milk, 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup heavy cream and rum. Slowly pour over cooled cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Occasionally, spoon the milk runoff back onto the cake.
In a mixing bowl, add 3/4 cup heavy cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 Tablespoon sugar. Beat until peaks form. Spread a thin layer over the cake. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon or garnish with fresh berries.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
I just made a tres leches cake this week. Very easy and delicous! Not authentic as it is not from scratch, but who cares when it tastes this good

1 box of White cake mix (the kind with pudding or labeled as very moist)

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

1 can of evaporated milk

1 cup of heavy whipping cream

Method:

Bake cake as directed on the box and let cool for about 20 minutes.

Poke a bunch of holes all over the surface of the cake. I use a toothpick because it can reach all the way to the bottom.

Then mix the condensed milk, the evaporated milk, and the whipping cream on low until well blended and slowly pour over the cake until all of it has soaked in. Refrigerate for at least a few hours, although I think the longer the better. We are on day 3 of our cake and it just keeps getting better!

This time I served a chocolate mousse with Bailey's in it alongside the cake.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
The only one I've had was from Publix and it was to die for. Fuen, welcome. You can come make me a tres leches cake any time you like. Highlands Gal, you're on the list, too. I'd be happy to judge a bake-off between the two of you. The things I do for my friends on CD.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:13 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Smile Oh, thank you, thank you for the recipes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
The only one I've had was from Publix and it was to die for. Fuen, welcome. You can come make me a tres leches cake any time you like. Highlands Gal, you're on the list, too. I'd be happy to judge a bake-off between the two of you. The things I do for my friends on CD.
That is exactly where I buy my Tres Leches cakes, also, NMS! Great minds and all of that, I guess.

Highlands Gal, Fuen and DHM for the recipes. I think it sounds scrumptous with the chocolate amaretto mousse! My d-i-l is from Mexico and really loves it, but I have never been able to make one for her when she and my son visit. She will be so happy to have a homemade one the next time! (She makes killer enchiladas and a chicken mole, but doesn't bake. This will set her on fire!!)

Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
Mmmm I made one the ohter day-- used a white extra moist cake and followed the directions as posted. I used a straw to poke it all over-- one other thing I did.. I cut back a about 1/4 cup of the liquid and added 1/4 cup of kaluha-- it was so freaking good!!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Ooo! Kahlua tres leches.....sounds absolutely wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes