Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,627,085 times

Advertisements

I can prepare a garlic paste in a few seconds because I use one of these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-...n+garlic+press

Buttermilk would spoil in my home because I seldom use it, but this works fine. I add it to fresh milk rather than water in preparing a number of dishes.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hil...termilk+powder

I have an indoor herb garden which includes parsley, but I'd never use it here since dried parsley is faster to use and provides just as much flavor in something with so much liquid.

Using a Hidden Valley packet with some powdered buttermilk and fresh garlic works best for me. I also replace about 25% of the mayo with sour cream. Try different amounts of these emendations until you find what you like best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This recipe looks good, although quite time consuming in its preparation. (I have to admit that I cheat; I use a Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch dressing packet, mixed with buttermilk and mayo.)
don't most of us; the recipe listed is almost identical and taste really good. That is where Ranch dressing started back in the early 70s

Old 05-21-2018, 10:56 AM

1,686 posts, read 3,962,121 times
Default Homemade Ranch

My recipe is similar but I use more fresh dill and less garlic. She is correct when she says the garlic get stronger as it sits.... I don't tolerate garlic well - body doesn't process it well....so I use 1/2 clove chopped and mashed to a paste. Love the parsley - not sure about the chives - as I said fresh dill is my favorite - and I add fresh cracked black pepper...

I too, don't care for the PW... used to watch her occasionally - but I don't remember why one show just turned me off.... can't watch her anymore.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 PM

20,956 posts, read 28,494,994 times
I did add dill as well as Italian parsley and chives.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,227,390 times
She’s using sour cream in place of buttermilk. Most ranch dressings I’ve tasted lately do not have the buttermilk tang.

But making your own sald dressing is better than buying bottled. Bottled dressing have non food ingredients in them and a less than fresh taste. It is dead easy to make a vinaigrette.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,537,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
She’s using sour cream in place of buttermilk. Most ranch dressings I’ve tasted lately do not have the buttermilk tang.

But making your own sald dressing is better than buying bottled. Bottled dressing have non food ingredients in them and a less than fresh taste. It is dead easy to make a vinaigrette.

I do understand the sour cream use, but I still believe it's not (great) ranch without buttermilk.

I make almost all of my own salad dressings, but this is one time when that dang Hidden Valley packet is better than I can do homemade.

IMO all the bottled shelf-stable ranch dressings are a complete waste of calories. Terrible flavor and gummy texture.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:18 AM

24,144 posts, read 32,563,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
For me, it’s not ranch if it doesn’t have buttermilk, so I’d disagree with PW on that being an optional ingredient, but with all those fresh herbs I’m sure it’s great.
I agree Debsi. I need the tang of buttermilk for a good ranch dressing. He recipe is probably good, but it may not taste like ranch to me.

My favorite ranch is Hidden Valley Farms powdered, mixed with buttermilk. Yum.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

normally I make my own dressing including Ranch and Blue cheese, but I do keep a couple of bottles of dressing in the fridge just in case. And yes, I always use buttermilk in ranch and blue cheese dressings. Spoiled brats favorite dressing is simply oil and lemon juice with a few spices.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I do understand the sour cream use, but I still believe it's not (great) ranch without buttermilk.

I make almost all of my own salad dressings, but this is one time when that dang Hidden Valley packet is better than I can do homemade.

IMO all the bottled shelf-stable ranch dressings are a complete waste of calories. Terrible flavor and gummy texture.
can't rep you for awhile but agree 100%. And yes, the little packets are the only way to go.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:01 AM

19,455 posts, read 27,907,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, that is what ranch dressing is all about. The recipe sounds almost identical to the one weight watchers used to recommend about 50 years ago. If made with buttermilk it is really good. I will have to add, I am not a lover of Pioneer Woman. I used to enjoy watching her when I had the time. But never found her recipes all that interesting. There were a couple of hints I took from her though.
Surprise! We agree again. I didn't think much of her blog and dislike her TV show. I refuse to watch it since I saw her make "7 can bean soup'. That's all she did - open up seven cans of stuff from her pantry, added salt and pepper and let it cool for 30 minutes. Hot sauce optional. Gimme a break.

(I do admire her ability to build a brand. Same with Chip and Joanna Gaines. I don't like the products produced by either business, but I envy their success at branding themselves.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes