Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times

Advertisements

Wow hey Laura............long time no see. Hope it was a good trip.

This is the only thread I look for on the Food/Drink forum nowadays but it is the best!
Winter is coming so I came to find some new stuff here..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:51 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
LOOK what I did today!

Recipe:
FRESH Lousisana Satsumas
1-Go to daughters
2- get bag
3-walk to neighbors yard
4-pick and put in bag (after you peel and eat one!)
5-get daughter to take the picture

Instruction... Pick a tree that was half taken down by hurricane Gustav last year and half of what was left was burned while burning limbs... Make sure the person who is growing the tree has a super size green thumb!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:34 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Good picture Laura and what a very hardy tree.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:17 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Love it, Laura!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Amazing.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 AM

35 posts, read 109,033 times
Laura,
I have loved reading your posts. How did you ever find your job? It sounds like it is so much fun. I love cooking for people who really appreciate it. I still miss cooking for my family (kids are mostly grown or away at college). Here is a tried and true family recipe that everyone loves.

Buttermilk Coffee Cake

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsp cinnamon (divided)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c canola oil
1 c nuts (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 large egg beaten
1 c buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl mix flour, salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, both sugars and canola oil. Reserve 3/4 cup of this mixture for topping and then add nuts and remaining tsp of cinnamon. Set aside.

To batter mixture add baking soda and powder, egg and buttermilk. Mix well, it is okay to have small lumps. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle the topping over batter and bake for 40-45 minutes. After cake is cool dust with confectioners sugar.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 PM

31 posts, read 77,556 times
Default Laura I want your hermit cake recipe and eggnog!

Laura-
did you ever post your recipe for your family's hermit cake and eggnog? It was a long time ago (back in june) when you mentioned it, but I never saw a post for the recipe.....I tried to go back in the thread to find it....but I could have passed it up because there are sooo many posts If you have them I would love to make them part of our holiday spread at thanksgiving or christmas.....that is if you dont mind sharing it. Thanks

Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
did you ever post your recipe for your family's hermit cake and eggnog?
OH NO! I didn't and this is the season to make it too! Hummmm... I will have to dig that recipe up and post it... have made note to self to do that.. I HOPE someone would try it and make it a family tradition...

sally'smom- Your recipe (I saved it to try!) reminded me I made something new for my guys last trip and they went CRAZY over it.. Every day I make yeast rolls. My recipe makes 24 and I only need 12 for lunch and supper so I use half for lunch and put the rest of the dough in the fridge for breakfast. I usually make monkey bread, jelly donuts or cinnamon rolls with it for breakfast but I wanted to make something different...

Came up with this..

I flattened out the dough and rolled it thin with a rolling pin. Used the pizza cutter and cut it in strips and twisted cut sections. I let them rise, deep fried them and threw them in a bag with cinnamon sugar to coat.. How simple was that? ... Those guys went absolutely NUTS over them and ate every one of them every day that I made them! I couldn't believe the excitement those things caused in those guys.... every morning they asked,
"You making those "things" again? and would run out to tell everybody I was making them... Like a bunch of kids..." Geez...

I think in here I explained how I found this job... met a guy in a bar one night, turned out he was a tow boat Captain. We were together for 2 years and he talked me into giving up a job I'd have for 21 years to go do this... it took him 2 years to talk me into it.. Once I went to work out there, we broke up...LOL!

Old 11-12-2009, 08:46 AM

Ok, I said a little prayer this morning and started digging for the Hermit cake recipe. The power of prayer worked, found it in the second place I looked..

The story behind this cake (again). We always had Christmas at Grandma's house and we never had Christmas without this cake and Grandma's home made egg nog.. The two were made to go together. My Aunt Annie was the baker in the family and she is the one who always made this cake. I have no idea where she got this recipe and haven't seen it anywhere else.. No one else has ever heard of it. It is a good replacement for that dreaded fruit cake that most people don't like. It is a large cake, weighs a ton and feeds a lot of people. It needs to be made ahead of time because you have to cover it with apples (some have used whiskey soaked cheesecloth) to get it moist. Placing the apples on it, wrapping it up air tight and just let it sit. (Change the apples every several days) She has the recipe hand written on a piece of paper that was aged when she had it.. This recipe has been in our family for over 55 years!

Grandma and Aunt Annie have been gone for years but we had the recipe to carry on the tradition of Hermit cake at Christmas.

Hermit Cake
(from Annie McCraw Watson, Lynchburg, Virginia)

6 eggs
1 pound butter
1 box & 1 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 boxes dates
1 pound nuts (walnuts or pecans)
4 teaspoons cinnamon
5 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Instructions

Mix lemon juice with baking powder. Cream together the eggs and butter, add sugar and vanilla. Add flour, nuts then dates. Mix well. Bake at 275* for 3 hours in a bundt or angel food pan.

Grandma didn't have a recipe for her egg nog but there are plenty of them out there that are just as good. It was made from scratch since in those days egg nog was not sold in stores.

Hint, I bet these would be really nice baked in those mini bundt pans and given as gifts along with the recipe for those who like it... Just figuring out the baking time could be a problem.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:13 PM

35 posts, read 109,033 times
Laura,
I thought of you when I came across this recipe in my collection. My mom has been making this for years, it's kinda a cross between cake and a blondie with a cherry surprise. They are super simple to make, and I do make things besides sweets! I can send you some of those recipes too, if you like.

Cherry Squares

1 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 c sugar
4 eggs
2 c flour
1 tsp vanilla
21 ounce can of cherry pie filling

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add flour. Stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Lightly cut through batter with a knife to mark off 24 squares. Spoon approximately 1 TBS of pie filling in the center of each square.

Bake for 45 minutes or until slightly golden (batter will puff up around pie filling). Cool for 20 minutes. Lightly dust with confectioners sugar. Cut into squares and remove from pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes