Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,918 times

Advertisements

Someone commented on another thread that Bobby Flay uses ancho's too often for kick. Well, it got me thinking we all have our special ingredient to add that oomph. What is yours?

Some of my favorites:
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Lawry's Seasoning Salt

For mayonnaise-based salads I use dry mustard, or wet mustards (spicy or mild) and squirts of cholula hot sauce.

For sauces, soups and ground beef I use Heinz 57 for a little added kick. I make a butter sauce for shrimp kabobs with this as my base and it is kick a$$.

Giardinara juice.

These are just a few to get us started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:51 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Oh Jill, that is such a difficult question!
How many can I pick? Ok, I am picking 6: basil, mint, nutmeg, worcerstershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and sea salt.
I don't use premixed seasonings.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:58 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I mostly use garlic and onions; however, my new favorite herb is French tarragon. I also use a lot of crushed red pepper, vanilla sugar, and oregano. DH uses a lot of cinnamon (he thinks it's healthy) and different kinds of nuts. We also use many different kinds of hot pepper sauces and the liquours that I get in SXM.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,918 times
For some reason, tho, Montreal is so darn good on steaks and thick burgers. I pour teryaki glaze on then shake the seasoning, wow, great.
I do love basil and nutmeg. I use nutmeg in most cream based things.
There is a balsamic glaze on the market that is wicked when brused on portabella mushrooms before grilling.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Garlic, Garlic powder. Garlic salt, Minced garlic.... Worcestershire and or A-1 sauce for kicks! Even V-8 Juice. We have every spice known to man and use them....

Old 05-27-2010, 03:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
I also do not use pre-mixed spices as many of them contain MSG. Nasty stuff.

My go-to spices (or the ones I most frequently have to replace) are black pepper, chili powder and cumin. I guess I makes a lot of Mexican dishes and chili.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Oh, I second the vanilla sugar!! It is indeed wonderful...some people will just use vanilla pods, but they are not very handy, especially when you are in the middle of a recipe and remember it takes vanilla...and I don't like vanilla extract. I use it for many, many things especially meringues, they are very perfumed and tasty.

Try a homemade balsamic glaze, there are many recipes for it and it tastes terrific! I love it!

Aha, nobody told me I could say garlic and onions!! I don't know how to cook without them

Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I mostly use garlic and onions; however, my new favorite herb is French tarragon. I also use a lot of crushed red pepper, vanilla sugar, and oregano. DH uses a lot of cinnamon (he thinks it's healthy) and different kinds of nuts. We also use many different kinds of hot pepper sauces and the liquours that I get in SXM.
Your DH is right - cinnamon is a 'health' spice, like turmeric. Cinnamon lowers blood sugar and LDL cholesterol. It is good for your gallbladder and combats yeast infections too.

At first I thought it would be weird, but now I always sprinkle a generous portion of cinnamon on top of plain yogurt with fresh berries. Add a few chopped nuts and you have a well-balanced afternoon snack.

As far as go-to flavorings, I use Vegeta in almost everything savory. They have a no-MSG version too. Knorr Aromat is another versatile flavoring tool in my arsenal of spices.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Sometimes I think I must be Bobby Flay's long lost twin because I actually crave chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. So, yes they are a staple in my pantry.

For "zing" I frequently reach for:

Chutney; cilantro or cilantro-mint(often found in Indian markets).

Sriracha sauce, or it's even hotter cousin, the thick chili-garlic sauce.

Mustard: Dijon or horseradish.

Capers.

Fresh Jalepenos, or dried Thai red chili peppers.

For "zip":

Tamari

Vinegar (depending on the dish it might be balsamic, cider, or rice wine).

Citrus (lemons, limes, oranges)

Dry white wine.

For depth:

Toasted nuts and toasted nut oils

I consider good sea salt, lots of smushed garlic (roasted too!) and fresh cracked pepper to be pretty much pantry staples.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 PM

205 posts, read 726,451 times
I like to make my own rubs for cuts of chicken, beef and pork. If I'm using ground beef, I've got to add onion, garlic, sweet basil and fresh ground pepper. We also like to roast giant garlic cloves with EVOO in the oven till its a paste then use that in mash potatoes, as a spread on meats, add it to dips. yummy stuff.

In sauces that are a little bland I like to add green Tabasco sauce.
Sea salt, peppercorns and my own lemon pepper seasonings are in grinders by the stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes