Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
It's actually refreshing to see when someone expresses manners. I smile and say thank you. I've even had to coax a few men through the door myself if I got there first....they just didn't feel right walking through the door before a woman.

It really p*sses my husband off when he holds the door open for a woman and she walks right through and doesn't even acknowledge him for doing so. However, he is a good guy and doesn't let it deter him from doing it as a general courtesy.
That's just rude. While I don't think a big deal needs to be made of it, a nod and a smile would do. I think some people just need to have something to be p/o'd about. They need drama so being offended at such a courtesy really brings it home for them. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In order to head off the incoming posts that "it's all about women," do any of you women hold a door open for a man? I do, if I get there first. Sometimes they go through and sometimes they take the door from me and gesture for me to go first--and I will. If a man goes out of his way to be gentlemanly, I will be ladylike and gracious about it. In general, though, holding a door is just common courtesy.
Of course! And for elderly people too.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
That's just rude. While I don't think a big deal needs to be made of it, a nod and a smile would do. I think some people just need to have something to be p/o'd about. They need drama so being offended at such a courtesy really brings it home for them. LOL
I agree. It doesn't much to make a kind gesture at someone for being nice. Not everyone is out to "get" them or make a pass.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Why don't you your mouth? I'm sorry I didn't feel like posting on the meaning of life or the theory of relativity today.

WTF?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Lets say for example you are walking to a building and you are about 15 ft away from the door. A man is coming out the same door you are about to enter. He sees you and waits until you get there and holds the door open for you while you walk in past him. Do you like this or does it make you uncomfortable?
I'm not talking about a situation where you are right behind the man and he holds the door a few seconds longer so you can grab the door. That's normally what happens everyday. I'm talking about when he goes out of his way to hold it open for you.
Why the duplicate thread? You have THE EXACT SAME THREAD POSTED DIRECTED AT MEN.

Im pretty sure the CD TOS says something about duplicate posts.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Why the duplicate thread? You have THE EXACT SAME THREAD POSTED DIRECTED AT MEN.

Im pretty sure the CD TOS says something about duplicate posts.

Couldn't figure out how to edit the title. If it bugs you so much have the admin close the thread.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
i always hold open a door for a lady but yes it does grate when they dont even have the manners to say thanks. I usually just go 'you're welcome' as they ignore me...that seems to embarrass them more than their bad manners.
BTW etiquette dictates that you stop and hold the door if it opens out but if it opens inwards you precede the lady and hold it from the inside.

I also still give up my seat on public transport though some ladies seem to find that offensive.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
I've been on a bus before and have seen pregnant and old women standing and some young healthy guy is sitting in the priority seating or has a seat and doesn't even offer them his.
Did any healthy young woman stood up to give her seat? Why didn't you give up yours instead of waiting for a man to do it all? I agree with you that it wasn't something nice for a pregnant women to be in that uncomfortable position but I don't understand how courtesy and manners are only expected from men.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
I think manners should be instilled in people as they are children. Just like this boy helping women cross the street:

YouTube - The Man Show Boy

Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
I think it is a nice gesture, and I too would say thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships