Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times

Advertisements

*What* is on dating sites :

Married men.

Overweight men .

Men living with mommy.

Men with ADD , ABC , TNT.

Men with no teeth.

Men who like to sleep with 62 new contacts and you .

Serial killers.

Seperated men who sleep in same room with wife .

Now of course we could switch it up and change most of those with the female persuasion too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 05:51 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyturquoise View Post
Please give me your honest answers here...do you believe that meeting someone online versus the traditional way (thru work,friends,etc) is taken as a sign of desperation and used as last resort... Thanks
Yes. It was the only way I could meet a man. Darn fool married me too...talk about desperate!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake, Urban, take a look at your first post.

Have YOU ever began a relationship online? My wager is no. If I'm wrong in that, it wouldn't be the first time, but I like to call them as I see them. What I saw in your post is the ramblings of someone who *thinks* they know, but are not quite there. And, THAT'S what I was responding to.

Why else would you have asked me "how I knew this guy was special"? Your inquiries, to me, scream that they are from someone who hasn't done this personally. And, that's all good. Frankly, I don't give two hoots how someone finds love. But, I'd like to think that someone who has strong beliefs on this particular issue would actually have some real life experience to back it up.

You'd be very, very wrong regarding having begun relationships that way. MORE than one, with one of them extremely pertinent.

Whether you call them like you see them or not it's clear to me you weren't paying attention to what was said, merely going the haughty route of "those who KNOW", which clearly left you putting words in my mouth.

I fail to see how ANYthing I said smacked of inexperience. I take virtually no umbrage in people who question the things I say, or challenge them. Where I get irritated is when people seem to be challenging me on points I haven't even made or hinted at.

Let's drop it. You think I'm some idiot talking out his arse and I think you can't read terribly well.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,958 times
No way. Both my boss (a well respected lawyer) and my sister found their partners online. The thought of going out and standing around a bar for hours is not very pleasant, sometimes it's just easier with a laptop from the comfort of your own home!

And it's not just dating... I have met a lot of great friends online.

My bf thinks this is a little odd, always teasing me and asking me which one of my "not real, internet friends" I am going out with this time, but I think he just needs to get up with the times.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

Married men.

Overweight men .

Men living with mommy.

Men with no teeth.

Serial killers.

Seperated men who sleep in same room with wife .

Now of course we could switch it up and change most of those with the female persuasion too...
Also true of meeting partners in real life too, unless you're lucky enough to meet one thru a trusted contact, but if that was easy, internet dating wouldn't be necessary. Or has anyone here gone on a blind date with someone that a friend said was perfect for them, only to be extremely insulted when you met the date? NM, my parents met that way. Still.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:00 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
best of craigslist: Craig
Aren�t there any women out there who actually want to spend the rest of their lives with someone? Girls always say they want commitment, but then they say no when I propose. On our second date, I expect to have our children�s names picked out. If you can�t handle that, then don�t respond. I�m a REAL man and I want a REAL woman who still believes that REAL love is possible!

I have an extra ticket to see John Mayer, and I don�t have anyone to go with me. More accurately, I�m lonely and I can�t get laid, so I bought an extra ticket so that some freeloading b*tch will be my date just to see a free concert. At least let me get to second base; the tickets cost me $65!

I�m just some dried-up old creep who will probably make your skin crawl when you touch me, but I work at Dell and I have enough money to woo some pathetic University of Texas co-ed into giving me a h*** job every now and then in exchange for a new wardrobe from Urban Outfitters. Shoot me a pic and your PayPal account number.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Desperate? What a silly word. Desperate people are those who hit up on the closest available warm body, not those who sign up for a dating site and browse thru profiles in the comfort of their own home. Honestly, it's the way the world works now. For instance, I just got back from a week of volunteering--a time honored way to meet people--and every man, attractive or not, was either married or younger than 22. Many of these men are my closest friends and I won't say I'm not tempted at times, but I really have no desire to start something with a married man and/or his son, lol. If I were desperate, I would.
I spent seven years volunteering at the humane society. Most of the other volunteers were women. The few men were usually there volunteering with their wives. The other males were usually high schoolers who needed community service hours to graduate. LOL

Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

Married men.

Overweight men .

Men living with mommy.

Men with no teeth.

Serial killers.

Seperated men who sleep in same room with wife.
*Mwah!* Love this post! May I humbly add ...

Men looking for women at least 20 years younger than themselves.

Men physically separated from the wife for five years but still making the house payment, spousal support and child support.

Divorced men who were married three times and have kids from all three wives.

Men who expect you to "Go Dutch" on a coffee date. Or, pick up the tab.

Men who caught a disease from their last dating site hook-up (and tell you about it).

Men who won't drive more than three miles from their home/office to meet you.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Meh! I dated online and off. They both have their ups and downs.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I'm not certain whether you're disagreeing with me or not. However, I'd argue that people DO "date" online before ever meeting one another.

What is meeting, vs what is dating?

I dare say if you evaluate those two terms you'll discover they coincide nicely with everything I've said thus far.

I haven't even remotely suggested that people who meet this way are desperate, nor that this method is any more unsuccessful OR successful than the traditional method; I've simply pointed out differences.
Meeting someone, to me, means to literally meet in person, face-to-face for the first time. "Dating" means carrying out a predetermined plan to spend time with someone, romantically. By my definition, there is no such thing as "dating online". People do communicate online, obviously, but I don't consider that to be dating - by any stretch of the imagination. That was the point that I was trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships