Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:09 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I am kind-I volunteer at a the humane society and the homeless shelter
I am loyal, I am a good friend, a good listener, I have a strong set of moral values I live by, I am shy (don't know if that makes me nice), I take care of others, I don't know...this is awkward. I don't like sitting here trying to brag about myself, which is why I didn't answer you earlier.
You seem like a nice person to me. Really, I think "nice girl/guy" is a very general stereotype that does not really work since there are so many different beliefs and standards.

I think the real definition should mean someone who is kind and caring and you definitely fit that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 01:18 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I said I do not bother to describe myself. This is because I don't care what other people think and whether they agree with my assessment of myself, so it's a waste of energy.

But if you simply must know, I am the smartest, most talented, sexiest, strongest, most beautiful, NICEST person in the history of the universe--by MY definition. Who cares about yours?
Glad you have settled it.

Oh btw, my definition is the only one that matters. (Some what like you, I mostly do not care what others think. I say mostly because if others think badly it makes it hard to get along. We are not islands and must conform in order to get by. Too much otherwise makes you into someone that has mental problems.)

Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post

Oh btw, my definition is the only one that matters. (Some what like you, I mostly do not care what others think. I say mostly because if others think badly it makes it hard to get along. We are not islands and must conform in order to get by. Too much otherwise makes you into someone that has mental problems.)
I look at it this way: If Person A's actions and deeds are good and done with good intent, there's no reason for Person B to think badly of him or her. If Person B does, then Person B is the one with the problem, and chances are extremely good that there will be nothing Person A can do to change Person B's mind, so there's no sense in trying.

The only time where it may be worth an effort is if Person B is a boss who controls whether you get a raise, but even then, it's just to hold on long enough to find another opportunity.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,745 times
Nice girls do finish last just like nice guys. Not all nice girls have low-self esteem issues. I think you can choose to be a considerate person who really cares about a man without having an agenda, being manipulative, or working a game on the opposite sex. Maybe due to how you were raised, their religious background, or seeing a happy marriage as a child.....you can choose to be caring, loving, and supportive. Now I confess everyone is not worthy of your love, care, or loyalty.
Some - not all guys - pass over good women everyday. They may not be a 10 or maybe they are but choose not to dress provocatively or give you the vibe that you can take them home after a few drinks at the bar.
For both guys and girls.......you can be "nice" but you can still hold your ground and demand that others respect you and value what you bring to the table. Nice is one thing, doormat is another. The biggest problem for most nice guys/nice girls is that opposites attract which in this case often leads to disaster.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:29 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
The definition of nice in colloquial/common society is a crock.

For a man, it means being an overly accommodating *****, who seldom defends his own interests. To me, passive people disgust me, especially men who are passive. I think it defies manhood, and the role of men in the human sphere. It's not being misogynistic, but males are designed in humans to take charge and be no nonsense.

For a woman, it means being shy and somebody of conservative/less extravagant outlook and attitudes.

Both are cliches, and just something pop culture spouts for the sake of it. Most of pop culture values are hollow, with no logic or rationale to substantiate.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:15 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,862 times
Nice is a simple word that has different meaning for everyone. Someone might think being ''nice'' means going to church everyone and be all conservative/puritanical. If it was me and I met a man like that, it would bore me to death. I would be running down the hill right that day.

I do think I'm a nice woman but it doesn't mean letting people dictate how my life should be nor trying to change me. In person I'm usually described as sort of quiet but at times comical (though, I don't even understand jokes). The only negative part is you don't want to try testing my boundaries. Everyone has limits at some point, even shy, passive people (who can be doormats too) wouldn't tolerate too much drama. At some point you just snap out of it and say ''That's enough''.

Oh and yes I do like drinking once in a while and yes have gotten hammered a couple of time but it's ironic how I never smoked in my life (no reason, just never tried it because I don't like it). As for as cooking skills, it's down to probably level 2 out of 10. I haven't acquired new knowledge of this besides making simple meals to survive.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Read what I posted not a conglomeration of mine with someone else's posts. I see that all to often on forums where people ascribe the emotions of one to others that they have assigned to the same category in their mind.

I agree, actions speak much louder than words. If a person lives a lifestyle that is destructive, no matter how they pretty it up with rationalizations, it is not nice. I think I will stand on my definition I posted of what makes a nice girl. You will note if you read it, I never mentioned anything about looks or having sex. Nor with being a virginal wallflower.

Now if I was forced to describe Avienne from her posting (the only actions observable to me) alone I would undoubtedly have a incomplete picture. If you say you do not fit the list I posted than I would guess you are not a "nice girl". Sorry about that.
Who is to say how people should live? Anything goes.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:

How so? One should only "get along" with people they are close to, are friends with, or otherwise like/respect. Whilst human society is based on order for the most part (well which social species is not?), humans are complex as an intelligent species and we have our own goals and ends.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:16 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Who is to say how people should live? Anything goes.
Hedonism is not a great choice of life style. Collectively, mankind has decided with cultural standards how we should live. Every generation that comes along thinks they are somehow special enough to escape the effects of stupid personal choices. Warning labels do not just apply to machine operation.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM

I did not mention hedonism. I simply meant that people are different, and will live ultimately how they wish to. Self-interest is the key human motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships