Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times

Advertisements

Why does it bother so many people about others asking questions? In my opinion, someone asking me if I am going to have more children is no more invasive than someone asking me when I am going to get a new car...not a big deal at all...there are MANY other things that are more offensive that people think they have the right to ask all the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Why does it bother so many people about others asking questions? In my opinion, someone asking me if I am going to have more children is no more invasive than someone asking me when I am going to get a new car...not a big deal at all...there are MANY other things that are more offensive that people think they have the right to ask all the time!
That is different. You already have children and you are married. The OP is single and not going to have kids. It is a intrusive to ask a single that especially since she can't understand why she is so single. Society does look at obtaining a family and a successful marriage as an accomplishment. And if though she may be great at her career, society makes her feel ostracized and abnormal because she is single and without child. But in your case to be asked when are you having more kids isn't bad;because you already have the family so there is no shame in that.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
That is different. You already have children and you are married. The OP is single and not going to have kids. It is a intrusive to ask a single that especially since she can't understand why she is so single. Society does look at obtaining a family and a successful marriage as an accomplishment. And if though she may be great at her career, society makes her feel ostracized and abnormal because she is single and without child. But in your case to be asked when are you having more kids isn't bad;because you already have the family so there is no shame in that.
It isn't different...why is it different? Society does not make anyone feel anything...she allows herself to feel ostracized and abnormal. No one can make you feel anything...feelings are about the only thing we have total control over.

I can't tell you how many times I am asked if I am going to go back into the workforce in a full time capacity and it doesn't bother me at all because I have no problem with my position in life...

Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
It isn't different...why is it different? Society does not make anyone feel anything...she allows herself to feel ostracized and abnormal. No one can make you feel anything...feelings are about the only thing we have total control over.

I can't tell you how many times I am asked if I am going to go back into the workforce in a full time capacity and it doesn't bother me at all because I have no problem with my position in life...
don't agree.
I have only started getting the "urge" for kids recently. However I do know I am still not quite ready yet.

I have been told things like I am selfish, queried "what is wrong with you" and been made to feel like I am some terrible monster when I would say "I'm not sure if I will have kids"

Then you get the general accusation that you don't like kids.

I have definitely been made to feel abnormal for not wanting to do cartwheels down the aisle and become a mum straight away.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
don't agree.
I have only started getting the "urge" for kids recently. However I do know I am still not quite ready yet.

I have been told things like I am selfish, queried "what is wrong with you" and been made to feel like I am some terrible monster when I would say "I'm not sure if I will have kids"

Then you get the general accusation that you don't like kids.

I have definitely been made to feel abnormal for not wanting to do cartwheels down the aisle and become a mum straight away.
My point was missed...how can another person MAKE you feel something? This statement implies that you are not in control of your own feelings....

Old 09-20-2010, 08:21 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
My point was missed...how can another person MAKE you feel something? This statement implies that you are not in control of your own feelings....
for me I started to actually think there was something wrong with me - should I be in my late 20's and still not have the urge?

Until I spoke to some other older women who said it kicked in for them at a bit later.

Whilst I am in control of my own thoughts and feelings, to have numerous women bail you up because you're not conforming to their way of life or beliefs is fustrating and down right annoying.

My standard response was ignore their question, and ask when they were having their next child.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,058 times
Quote:
Let's say you went to get a quick haircut on your lunch break and when you came back, your coworkers jokingly made fun of it.

Then, when you left work and stopped by the grocery store, people stared at you, and when you got to the cashier and were casually chatting with her, she made a joke about your hair as well.

Next, you drove home and walked in your front door and your children look at you quizzically and say, "Daddy? Did you get a haircut?"

Now, if you're a "normal" person, you would, at this point, probably go and inspect your haircut in the mirror. Why? Because people DO have an impact on each other and you may wonder if you're missing something that everyone else is seeing.

In the end, you may decide that everyone's crazy, or just not good with change, or a 100 other reasons why they're wrong, but there will be at least a few minutes there where you wonder if you're missing something that everyone else is seeing.

If you're impervious to what other people think at all times, then good for you, but really, that's not typical. Most people *are* impacted by how others see them.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Let's say you went to get a quick haircut on your lunch break and when you came back, your coworkers jokingly made fun of it.

Then, when you left work and stopped by the grocery store, people stared at you, and when you got to the cashier and were casually chatting with her, she made a joke about your hair as well.

Next, you drove home and walked in your front door and your children look at you quizzically and say, "Daddy? Did you get a haircut?"

Now, if you're a "normal" person, you would, at this point, probably go and inspect your haircut in the mirror. Why? Because people DO have an impact on each other and you may wonder if you're missing something that everyone else is seeing.

In the end, you may decide that everyone's crazy, or just not good with change, or a 100 other reasons why they're wrong, but there will be at least a few minutes there where you wonder if you're missing something that everyone else is seeing.

If you're impervious to what other people think at all times, then good for you, but really, that's not typical. Most people *are* impacted by how others see them.
We need to put this back into perspective here....you originally posted that people were asking you when you were going to have children but now you are comparing it to being mocked? People asking a question out of curiosity is far different than someone mocking you due to a mean streak...

Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
We need to put this back into perspective here....you originally posted that people were asking you when you were going to have children but now you are comparing it to being mocked? People asking a question out of curiosity is far different than someone mocking you due to a mean streak...
I agree. While it's a personal question (nosy, inappropriate), having kids is a normal part of life--normal in that most people do it. We're animals. We procreate, like almost all living creatures do. I don't think most people assign a value to it, as if not having kids means you are a lesser being, but it's common enough that people who don't spawn do stand out. It's like you said about going back into the workforce, Mrs. Most people have jobs, or they want jobs, so, "What do you do for a living?" is just something people say to make conversation.

Now, if people are being unkind, that's not good.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Questions like this don't bother me. Figure people are just making conversation, or if it's a guy... maybe he's fishing for info?

I'm always asked if I have kids, "no", why not?, "tried, did the in vitro thing, didn't work"

"But I have a cat. He's shown no interest in college so I figure it all worked out for the best".

/lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships