Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 PM

369 posts, read 772,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Why does it bother so many people about others asking questions? In my opinion, someone asking me if I am going to have more children is no more invasive than someone asking me when I am going to get a new car...not a big deal at all...there are MANY other things that are more offensive that people think they have the right to ask all the time!
It just gets old and irritating after a while. What makes it worse is when the same person asks it repeatedly. The worse was when some incredibly vicious and rude old biddy told me I should divorce my wife and go get a "young chicky" to have babies. My wife is in her 50's and I'm in my 40's. How disgusting of that old bat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Why does it bother so many people about others asking questions?
It’s fine if you’re asked once, but if you’re asked once a WEEK, and you have been at your place of work for 6 years giving the same answer every week and somehow they just wont accept it, that’s a different thing.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
While it's a personal question (nosy, inappropriate), having kids is a normal part of life--normal in that most people do it.
I don’t believe there is a “normal” anymore.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
It’s fine if you’re asked once, but if you’re asked once a WEEK, and you have been at your place of work for 6 years giving the same answer every week and somehow they just wont accept it, that’s a different thing.
Clearly if the same person is asking the same question over and over again something is wrong with THEM...perhaps OCD or something...but that still is not your issue...stupid questions do not deserve an answer....Silence is golden

Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
I would just ask "are you okay? I'm not sure if you realize but you are asking the same question every week? Has anyone else mentioned this to you, because you realize that alzheimer's can start manifesting earlier than most people imagine?".

Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would just ask "are you okay? I'm not sure if you realize but you are asking the same question every week? Has anyone else mentioned this to you, because you realize that alzheimer's can start manifesting earlier than most people imagine?".
Exactly...if someone keeps asking the same question they are either 1) stupid 2) mentally ill 3) rude 4) have comprehension problems or 5) isn't really that interested and doesn't listen to the answer week after week...none of which are anything to internalize.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM

You make it sound so easy!

When are you having kids?

I’m not.

Why not?

Because I don’t want children.

Why not?

For a lot of reasons.

Like?

Just a lot of reasons.

Do you hate children? *looked at like I’m a monster*

No, it’s not that I hate…

Then why wouldn’t you want to have them?

Look, there’s the financial burden, not having the mortherly instinct…

It’ll come to you.

No it won’t.

It has to. You’re a woman and all women want children.

People just CANNOT accept it. The people I know anyway!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM

It is so easy! Just come up with a universal response to the question...

Say "That is not something I am interested in and that decision was made in the privacy of my own home and I don't plan on justifying my decision to anyone else anymore...how 'bout those Red Sox?"

Of course you would need to find your own response but just because someone asks a question does not mean you have to answer it...take back the control they seem to have by asking the questions...

Quote:
You make it sound so easy!

When are you having kids?

I’m not.

Why not?

Because I don’t want children.

Why not?

For a lot of reasons.

Like?

Just a lot of reasons.

Do you hate children? *looked at like I’m a monster*

No, it’s not that I hate…

Then why wouldn’t you want to have them?

Look, there’s the financial burden, not having the mortherly instinct…

It’ll come to you.

No it won’t.

It has to. You’re a woman and all women want children.

People just CANNOT accept it. The people I know anyway!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
That used to happen to me at work. I finally said one time, "I hear what goes on in your home every time your kids call you. That sealed the deal for me."

Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Ask them "did you buy stock in my genetic line? Because other than the possibility of financial gain I have no comprehension is your abnormal interest in my reproducing"

I can't even comprehend being given the third degree like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships