Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,030,065 times

Advertisements

I have to change my last and middle name because somebody with the same exact name as me has assault and battery on their record. When an employeer does a background check on me half the time this other guy'scriminal recordshows up even when they enter my social security number. It's stopping me now from getting jobs and I need money now...because my job just cut back a bunch of hours and employees...

I contacted the state police no help...but they charged me a bunch of money....

So the easiest way to fight this issue is to change my name however; they said I need my wife's signature on a general waiver form to change my name. I don't know where she's located, she's a cheating lieing manipulative witch and I have been ignoring her calls and texts for 2 weeks nowand would rather not beg her to changeMY name....I don't have any money...

Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,877,323 times
Umm apply for a divorce?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,686,218 times
That's a pretty extreme solution to a simple problem. For one thing, unless the other person has your exact birthday, your exact name, and lives in your exact city and county, it is a pretty easy thing to clear up.

If you are denied employment based upon an error on a background check, you have the right to contact the reporting agency and have the error corrected.

I'm curious.. what did the police charge you a bunch of money for? They probably suggested that you get fingerprinted which is usually about $10.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Unless of course, it's not really an error and you think changing your name will make your criminal record go away. It won't.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,030,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Unless of course, it's not really an error and you think changing your name will make your criminal record go away. It won't.

The employer told me his middle name is different...but most employeers dont check that...his background info is creepingly similiar...lots of lazy hiring managers just automatically assume..

My boss told me I need to take care of it as soon as possible...
and it cost 150$ over here...in windsor ct

Old 09-28-2010, 03:41 PM

Contact the reporting agency and have them correct it. They have a legal and ethical responsibility to correct errors of this type.

A quick phone call should fix it.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,092,523 times
Don't take changing your name too lightly. You will have to carry the papers with you forever and prove you are who you are over and over.

Just for example, if you want to get a DL in Nevada, you have to present every court order that changed your name. Every marriage and divorce certificate too. If you are female, that can be a real mess if you have been married and divorced.

I have a valid passport and a valid DL from another state and I'm having a problem getting a new DL.

Just wanted you to know, the name change may create it's own new set of problems. My H has the same name as a guy who defaulted on a bunch of student loans and wrote bad checks. We have been affected by this and the Sheriff even showed up once to serve warrants and arrest him.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,999,018 times
Seek legal counsel. There's probably a way to get around the issue w/o your estranged wife being involved.

They only question I have is how can someone else's record come up with YOUR Soc. Security number (unless you are/were a victim of identity theft)?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,278,742 times
WTH does your wife have to do with your own name...? You haven't taken her last name, have you?!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,313,687 times
Do you have children with your estranged wife or any shared debt? Contact your County Court Clerk or Court to get all the information you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships