Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 AM

142 posts, read 345,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
But what if the woman was 6'3" and the man was 5'6" or shorter?
THIS is where the short man is usually screwed which was my point earlier. You talk about how you're over 6 ft and that your husband is 5'10. that's not a big deal. You opened up your dating pool to include men that are average. Men over 6'3 only account for 3% of the American Population, so you benefited from it. Still though, your husband is average.

This is not the same as a 5'6 woman dating a 5'3 man. Though the height different is the same, the Taller than average woman is dipping into the SHORT category and even if she ignores the SHORT category, she still has access to something 80% of males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
So youre saying women are more shallow then Men

Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM

142 posts, read 345,338 times
I'm not saying women are more shallow than men, but it is what it is. That's never going to change, so make the best of what you have, or do something about it.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 AM

330 posts, read 599,230 times
In western society, height (espcially for men) matters. In romance and dating it matters much more. Check any statistic for on-line dating and you will see women have amost NO preference for men under 5'8". Maybe I could be 5'7" and "fudge" it, but at 5'4 that just can't happen. Height is not the end all. And as I said in a few other posts, I can do ok, but I have to try much much harder. I am thinking of the elevator shoes just to see what happens.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 AM

85 posts, read 110,797 times
I am 5'6 and my husband is 5'10 - and actually when I met him, I thought he was "short". My brothers and dad were all 6'1 and over and most of the serious boyfriends I had to that point were 6'1 - 6'3. I love tall men, but that could be because when I was younger, my grandma used to worry about how "tall" I was. I dated some guys that were my height back in high school, though. I think the main thing is the chemistry between you.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 AM

223 posts, read 166,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Height in men is a secondary sexual trait, something that distinguishes them from women and sends a strong "I'm a male" signal to women.

Secondary sex characteristic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[/list][/list]Likewise, women display secondary sexual characteristics such as breasts, more delicate facial structure, etc. These are just general sexual signals; people are not necessarily ruled by them. A man who is shorter, is not as muscular, does not have a square jaw, etc., can still find a mate, but that does not negate the fact that women tend to be drawn to more predominantly male characteristics. A shorter frame in men tends not to be as attractive as a tall one, just as a woman with a square face tends not to be as attractive as a woman with a rounder one.

Secondary sexual characteristics can be found in many kinds of animals, such as the bright, all-red male cardinal and the drab grey female, who only has a red cap and tail. It's how many animals select mates, by displaying the strongest signals of health, strength or other fitness. We as human beings are not ruled by these attractors, but it is natural for them to exist and affect us.
Only culture conditioning and not innate

Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
In western society, height (espcially for men) matters. In romance and dating it matters much more. Check any statistic for on-line dating and you will see women have amost NO preference for men under 5'8". Maybe I could be 5'7" and "fudge" it, but at 5'4 that just can't happen. Height is not the end all. And as I said in a few other posts, I can do ok, but I have to try much much harder. I am thinking of the elevator shoes just to see what happens.

And my preference is for men over 6'5... That doesn't meant I'm refusing to date anyone under that height. Most of the men I know have a preference for short women who look just like Kim Kardashian, but that doesn't mean they're ONLY going to date someone like that. I recently had a huuuuuge crush on a guy who was barely 5'6, but he wouldn't give me the time of day because I was too tall for him. If I had $1 for every time I was rejected for my height (had a man who was 6'9 tells me I was too tall for him...) then I'd have more than enough money for that airplane I have my eyes on

Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 AM

223 posts, read 166,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraViolett View Post
Many/most short women love the inequality for various reasons but why does a man over 6 ft choose to date a woman who is at least 6" shorter or more? Do they need that much of a difference to feel dominant? Shouldn't they already feel dominant enough just by being 6' or over? Why can't a 6' man be happy with a woman closer to his own height? In fact, it almost seems that the tallest men are with the smallest women. It looks like a freak-show cult.
If playing the game of height, what you are saying makes total sense. On behalf of logic and honesty, thank you!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThe View Post
Only culture conditioning and not innate
So it's innate for other animals, but social conditioning for humans?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 PM

406 posts, read 580,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
So it's innate for other animals, but social conditioning for humans?

Humans are capable of resisting their urges. Plenty of short guys get married and have kids, so it can't be that innate. Many women seem to take fairy tales way too seriously. I truly believe the vast majority of these traits are social conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships