Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Awesomely smart suggestion.

I might also take some of that "good money" she says she's making and invest it in obedience school, just for my own sanity.
That's a good idea, but it won't work because SHE would have to work on it, too, and she already said she hates the dog.

Honestly, the dog is the only one I feel sorry for in this situation. I don't know why anyone would date someone when they hate that person's pet.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Sounds like it's time to leave.....if there was any favor to be repaid, it sounds like it's been done. His house & his dog are his responsibility. You should give him notice that you'll be leaving soon, so he can have time to make arrangements.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:46 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
LOL. I agree that she should return the favor, but a year long commitment is a bit much. Taking care of a pet, if she does so appropriately, is a lot of work. He would have to have someone house sit. He also can't rent unless he hires a mgt. type co be on call when tenets need him. House sitting is costly. They're clearly both making out. I wouldn't be paiting rooms. That's way too much work, imo, if done right.

Use a good brand airless sprayer to paint rooms. It's pretty easy.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
1. Why is the dog not crated? (maybe this has been addressed, I did not read all pages of the thread.

2. Why would you stay with somebody who clearly just wants a housesitter/handyman?

No WAY would a sink a bunch of labor into a house I don't own. Also, though, no way would I stay with a guy like this.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Use a good brand airless sprayer to paint rooms. It's pretty easy.

I've been thinking about doing that in my own home. I suck using the brush. Did you find any issues with fumes? How do you ventilate and what about over spray?

...see what you started

Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
I would never agree to move in with someone I'm not engaged to or married to and agree that I will not pay any rent. Clearly anybody would rationally expect some compensation for free rent. The truth is that then it becomes too subjective, I would just pay rent, and if he wants something fixed he should just pay for it. If he is uncomfortable with such an arrangement clearly you two can't see eye to eye, you should just move out, whatever else happens is whatever else happens. It seems unreasonable to expect to live somewhere rent free without some other compensation, but since you didn't agree on the compensation beforehand I think it is obvious such arrangement would not work out.

Come up with some agreement on just compensation or just leave, you shouldn't try to bank big favors, and neither should he. This wishy-washy arrangement would never work out IMO.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
You are profiting from his house, you are living there. How much would rent cost you someplace else. If you can get by for less, then I would move. If rent someplace else costs more than the repairs, then I would do the repairs and stay. As far as the dog goes, I'd teach him to paint. I would not be concerned with breaking up with this guy. Unless you are 90 years old, there are lots of guys out there to choose from. Some of them won't have a dog for you to baby sit with, and some of them won't charge you to stay in their house, and still, some of them won't even have a house...

Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I believe the guy sounds like a jerk too. Not from the current arrangement but from what he did to you previously.

I don't understand the asap necessity of fixing cracks and painting if he's suppose to be gone a year. Is he planning on throwing you out again and renting it now?

In this arrangement, I wouldn't mind spending $100 a month and no more and painting at my leisure. I wouldn't fix anything that the dog was prone to destroy again and I'd keep him locked up in a room while gone. I wouldn't do any major repairs and I also wouldn't tell him how much I was making either. Sounds to me like you'll be breaking up when he comes home anyway so save up money while you can.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller1985 View Post
So, besides other problems we've been having:

Should I just stay in his house and keep spending money on it? Or just leave the house and him - I know the second I move out, we'll no longer be together.
I read this and the first thing that came to mind was that you work for him.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,062 times
The dog doesn't need obedience classes. It's being a DOG. A dog who is bored, lonely, and can't go to the toilet for 15 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships