Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM

609 posts, read 1,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
she sounds like a *****. Lead your life the way you want to, she ain't your girlfriend or wife.
She was cool with everything, until I told her what I was going to do and now she isnt talking to me, but she did tell me to let me know when I was moving out so she can plan accordingly. She thinks I'm leaving tomorrow or something, but it doesn't work like that. I've tried to tell her. Should I even bother keeping her around as a friend? She has been supportive of everything else but she 'disappointed' of my choice. What kind of friend does that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 PM

556 posts, read 798,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
She was cool with everything, until I told her what I was going to do and now she isnt talking to me, but she did tell me to let me know when I was moving out so she can plan accordingly. She thinks I'm leaving tomorrow or something, but it doesn't work like that. I've tried to tell her. Should I even bother keeping her around as a friend? She has been supportive of everything else but she 'disappointed' of my choice. What kind of friend does that?
Is this a room mate or a friend with benefits?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I didn't read the whole thread and someone probably already brought this up...but If it's possible you're going to be away for months at a time a lot of men/women do not want to deal with that.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:28 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
I've always been very supportive of the military. Most of my ex-boyfriends served at one time or another and while the separation from my ex was difficult when he was in Iraq, I still supported him 100% and would have done it over and over had we stayed together.

You'll find plenty of women who will support your choice. Your friends just don't get it.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
Oh and now she thinks Im copping out. Of what??? That pissed me off. Im done talking to her about it. She won't accept it, too damn bad. I made up my mind and this is what I want to do.
This is a woman who is trying to make you into something that SHE wants instead of accepting you for who you are.

It is HER problem - not yours. If she cannot be happy with who you are, then she needs to find someone who is a little closer to what she wants (or someone she can beat into submission).

You are infinitely better off without her, because, no matter how hard you try, you will NEVER be the man she wants. There will always be *something* that she wants to "improve".

I'd kick this broad to the curb in a heart-beat if I were you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 PM

609 posts, read 1,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Is this a room mate or a friend with benefits?
Just a room mate who I have lived with for a long time.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Girl sounds like a dumb cow.

I hope you get your wish, and wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Is this still in the Relationships forum? And if so, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
"and she says "I'm taking the easy way out" or "Some people just can't handle civilian life" nonsense"

She definitely has it backwards. One, the military is NOT the easy way out, quit the opposite to be honest with you and two, more like people can't handle the military life. Civilian life is a joke compared to a civilian lifestyle.

Good for you for thinking about re-entering the service. Please KUP on your decision
There are always multiple ways to view a topic. In this case, I think you have it backwards. For someone in the military, or with a military fetish, might see things as you posted, yet here is another take:

The OP mentions he is having a hard time finding the type of employment he desires...doesn't want to work for minimum wage...not much else is available around town....so decides to go back to the military. Do you not see her perspective of who going back to the military is the "easy route"?

In the military, you are guaranteed three hots and a cot, as my dad used to say. A paycheck, too. Yeah, military life may not be cut out for everyone, but at least you have the security of not losing your home or being evicted because you can't pay rent. You don't have to worry about not having a job, receiving a paycheck, putting food on the table. Etc.

In fact, with the economy so poor right now, that is exactly why so many people want to enlist these days...despite the situation in Afghanistan and the Middle East.

Civilian life IS HARD! It can be seen as a cop-out to re-enlist. Kind of like finding a rich spouse and marrying into money and a cushy life instead of actually busting your behind to work for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The "Military Life" is one of feeling that your doing something important. Most of my AD career was focused on maintaining hundreds of nuc payloads ready for launch at any time. There was a much greater purpose to what we were doing.
It all depends on perspective. There are plenty of people who feel that what they are doing is important or of a "greater purpose."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Some people just like to be in charge and tell others what to do, I wouldn't pay her too much mind.
Do you not see the irony in this comment? Or was it intentional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why would they want someone who's experienced life outside the military, and has become accustomed to doing things the way they wanted, only to return to a more regimented lifestyle?

"Too old and set in your ways."
I have many friends who are former military. All of them were more than happy to be out...and stay out. Most of them were regular Army or Marines. The only one I know who stayed in, and probably will until he retires, or is killed, is one guy who is a Paratrooper, but worked as a forward observer in the Middle East. "He loves this job" as he says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
You say you are in school. I have a question, are your room mate and her friends all college students? If so here in lies who is anti military. Not females in general, college students. Clooge students are taught mainly by anti military liberals. Like it or not they are. They aren't just taught the subject they are taking, they are almost always forced to learn and agree with their liberal professor. So basically, these women that think that you can't handle civilian life (PAAAHAAAAAA what a joke!!!) are just the latest product of the liberal education factory.

Good luck!
Are you effin' kidding me! I went to college after high school, and I am back in college now. I can tell you from my experience that "college students are TAUGHT to hate the military" is total BS! They are also not taught by anti military liberals. Yes, those types of profs do exist, but let me tell you something: college professors run the gamut from liberal to conservative, atheist to Christian, Jew, Catholic, etc. Some become professors because they want the 'prestige' of being a college professor. Some do it so they can use university resources to conduct their research, and only teach on the side because they have to. Still, others become professors because they just could not get hired anywhere else in their field.

The fallacy of your argument is that you do not have one. You are simply repeating a stereotype that is set forth by some right-wing ideology as to "what is wrong with America" today. College is a time of exploration, new ideas, and new freedoms. It is an easy target to point the finger and blame.

By the way. Most Conservatives, well those that do not live in a double-wide, are college educated.

What's a clooge?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 AM

556 posts, read 798,357 times
Clooge is an obvious typo and it is apparent that it is a typo due to the fact that I had no problem spelling college earlier in my post. I am not repeating any stereo type, I am stating my opinion that is based on experience.

Between your nit picking about a typo and referring to people living in "double wides" you have proven yourself to be a prime example of the problem with people that THINK they are "educated".

Also your statement "Civilian life IS HARD! It can be seen as a cop-out to re-enlist. Kind of like finding a rich spouse and marrying into money and a cushy life instead of actually busting your behind to work for it. " also shows that you in fact are exactly the type of person I posted about. Comparing life in the military to marrying for money and actually using the "cushy". What a maroon! (Maroon being a play on the word moron, made famous by Bugs Bunny. I know you have trouble thinking outside the box)

Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
My business professor was in the Air Force--I wouldn't characterize him as anti-military...or liberal. In fact, if anything, he's a bit too conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships