Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM

556 posts, read 798,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My business professor was in the Air Force--I wouldn't characterize him as anti-military...or liberal. In fact, if anything, he's a bit too conservative.

I didn't say all were liberal or anti military
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
In the end, you have to do what's best for you. If that's the military, great. Be the best military person you can be. It's a steady job in a time where those are at a premium. And you can retire young and still have a whole other career.

I don't think women are against the military. I do think women have a hard time seeing the men they care about go into a field that could cost them their lives. I wouldn't want my son or husband dying in a rice paddy or a souk thousands of miles from home.

Also, I believe many women have a hard time accepting a lot of what the military has been doing for the past few decades or so. They want it to make sense and it doesn't. They want their son, husband, or lover to die for a worthy cause. Just for example, I would take up arms and fight to the death for my country. Any time. And I believe most people would do the same thing. But the reverse side of this coin is that I think my life is more valuable than someone's rice paddy somewhere in Asia. My son or husband's life means more than that too.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I didn't say all were liberal or anti military
You seemed to imply that the students are subjected to one viewpoint, and one viewpoint alone.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:30 PM

556 posts, read 798,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You seemed to imply that the students are subjected to one viewpoint, and one viewpoint alone.
I should have been more clear. The MAJORITY of college professors are liberals. Most liberals do not enjoy the American military. IMO these liberal professors have a tendency to push their views on their students and produce class after class of like minded former individuals.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 PM

541 posts, read 2,139,091 times
A couple of thoughts - as far as it being difficult for prior service to get back in, my son did 4 years in the Corps, got out with an Honorable Discharge and a favorable reenlistment code, yet when he tried to get back in approximately 6 months later, he ran into nothing but problems. It took him nearly 2 years and intervention from his congressman to get him back in. He's been back in for almost 4 years now.

As for how women view the military lifestyle, well, I think it takes a certain type of woman to be able to deal with it. I had the experience of seeing everything my son went through, so always said I would never date a military man. Well, I happened to meet one that was irresistible and we have been married now for almost 4 years

As you know, your roommate is sadly mistaken that this is the "easy" way out. That is actually laughable to me. This life is anything but easy, but I wouldn't change it for anything! We are in the midst of deployment #3 (3rd one since 2005). Yeah, deployments suck, but it is what it is.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:29 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I should have been more clear. The MAJORITY of college professors are liberals. Most liberals do not enjoy the American military. IMO these liberal professors have a tendency to push their views on their students and produce class after class of like minded former individuals.
David Hackworth's views could often be considered liberal by some, but he was an army colonel. Liberals DO serve.

But isn't all education, to some extent, brainwashing? Were we "right" to get involved in World War II, considering the Holocaust? Some say yes, some say no. But isn't that something that should be up to each of us individually, no matter what "society" may think of the issue? They used to recite the Pledge in schools. Isn't that brainwashing? The idea that there are rules to be followed--isn't that brainwashing?

Indoctrination is everywhere, my man. You can even find it in the World's Greatest Navy.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 AM

609 posts, read 1,140,557 times
So I was basically confronted last night by my roommate and one of her friends preaching that If I go back in I basically have no future, and I will not have enough money to live off on, how everything will be given to me and how I'm going to be worse off once I get out again. Her friend compared the Military to prison and how people that are there a living similar to the ones serving, and also the ones that join the military are majorly low income people or minorities.

On top of that, she says no Black man should serve in a society or fight a war that has nothing to do with them. Ugh. Hell my roommate was already thinking of how she would turn my room into an office once I left.

Only problem now, like a previous poster said, it will take some years before I can go active, I not 100% with the reserves option, I'd rater do it all the way. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with my friends and I only see myself stuck here. They totally ignored that even though I'm in school earning a degree, that considering what I want to do with my future(like re-joining the army) is a stupid move. Apparently I need to do some more soul searching, from what she said.

I feel like I lost this war and failed myself.

Last edited by Kinetic_A; 11-17-2010 at 11:30 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Sounds like these are no friends of yours. I'm sorry. I have nothing but respect for those who serve in the military, and the fact that you want to go back in commendable.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
So I was basically confronted last night by my roommate and one of her friends preaching that If I go back in I basically have no future, and I will not have enough money to live off on, how everything will be given to me and how I'm going to be worse off once I get out again. She compared the Military to prison and how people that are there a living similar to the ones serving.
While I was serving on Active Duty, I earned enough money that I bought a property in Southern California with three houses on it. The rental income provided for management, maintenance, taxes, and each month we paid extra onto the principle. Which built equity for us.

Then I was stationed in Scotland, so we bought a 5-unit apartment building in Scotland.

Then I was stationed in Ct, where we bought a 3-unit building.

Than I was stationed in Wa, where we bought a single family house that we rented out when I left the area.

When I was finally approaching retirement, we sold off all but one of these properties and used the proceeds to buy our farm.

I can see a comparison between military service and prison; you are told where you will live and what you will do there.

However during my service [as an enlisted sailor] I could not really complain about the pay.

As I explained I was able to build a collection of income properties on the East Coast, West Coast and overseas. Which built my Net Worth nicely, and I was able to liquidate that Net Worth to buy my retirement property with no mortgage.

We also had five children. I think that 'poor' / 'wealthy' are very subjective terms.

I retired as an E-6. Anyone can google the pay-rate for E6s. Is that 'poor'? Or 'wealthy'?

Quote:
... On top of that, she says no Black man should serve in a society or fight a war that has nothing to do with them. Ugh. Hell my roommate was already thinking of how she would turn my room into an office once I left.
I am white. I have served with black men. Where you stand on this I guess is really a matter of your own personal beliefs.

I knew men who were serving and who were not happy with serving alongside so many whites. They expressed that they felt they were being oppressed.

I have had subordinates who were black men/women, and I have worked for black supervisors [both male and female].

I have been in a position where black supervisors were expressing to me that the whites were oppressing them. As I told my supervisors at the time, I guess that as a white myself I may easily be 'blind' to the oppression they feel.

Black men/women climb the rank structure just like anyone else does.

If you hold a rank higher than my rank, then I salute you. I do not see the problem.

I am not saying this to anger anyone. I simply do not see the oppression. If anyone feels oppressed, I do apologize.

Quote:
... Only problem now, like a previous poster said, it will take some years before I can go active, I not 100% with the reserves option, I'd rater do it all the way. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with my friends and I only see myself stuck here. They totally ignored that even though I'm in school earning a degree, that considering what I want to do with my future(like re-joining the army) is a stupid move. Apparently I need to do some more soul searching, from what she said.

I feel like I lost this war and failed myself.
I am not entirely in favor of reserves either. Do 20-years on Active Duty and get a pension. I hate seeing 60-year old guys with white hair still in uniform.

I can only speak from my own limited experiences in the military. My short Active Duty career was only 20 years. Your experiences may easily be different.

Keep in mind, that truck drivers in the USA have a much higher death rate, then Active Duty servicemembers have.

I wish you the best of luck in your future.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:29 PM

609 posts, read 1,140,557 times
Thanks beekeeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships