Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 PM

31,089 posts, read 22,143,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
But the OP is from DC...which supposedly has tons of single women. Yet more often then not you go to the bars/clubs and they look like this....
That guy in the purple shirt must have game. The only two woman in the place have their eyes on him!

Back to the topic. There are no shortage of single woman. There might be a large Male Legal and Illegal alien population but its not like they are competition for American men.

To the original post. This Adam Rosen guy; 37 Years old Pyscologist with a Law degree must be the ugliest man in the world or waiting for Jesica Alba not to have a great selection of woman ready to marry!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-10-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,243,935 times
There seems to be quite a shortage of women down here in South Florida. This stat eliminates 35% of them...at least for me.

Obesity Facts - Obesity Statistics

The clubs are all sausage fests, I DJ at an upscale lounge & it's actually about a 50-50 mix & quite a few girls talk to me there but that's mostly because they're requesting certain tracks, etc.

Online I hear it's as high as an 8:1 or 10:1 ratio of men to women. I know that's true b/c the average woman on many of those sites can get 15 messages a day, and most guys get just a few if any per day unless they're just absolutely hot looking.

That type of ratio also makes online dating bad b/c you'll get average to below average women who start to get big egos & have all kinds of unreasonable expectations.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:17 AM

483 posts, read 1,560,914 times
Nothing has changed. If ya got game, there are plenty of single women for you. I've noticed that in the past few years it's actually been easier for me to find a date.

I suspect it's due to the crappy economy. Since 2008, many guys have lost their jobs and are penniless. That means less competition. And many women have lost their jobs or are in fear of losing their jobs, and some had to go back to college, so it became even more important to find a financially-secure guy. I spoke to a couple of single people who also witnessed this phenomenon, so it's not just me who noticed it.

I'm hoping for a double-dip recession.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,655,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Online I hear it's as high as an 8:1 or 10:1 ratio of men to women. I know that's true b/c the average woman on many of those sites can get 15 messages a day, and most guys get just a few if any per day unless they're just absolutely hot looking.

That type of ratio also makes online dating bad b/c you'll get average to below average women who start to get big egos & have all kinds of unreasonable expectations.
Oh please. Just because the numbers are in your favor doesn't mean you're going to end up with a bloated ego. If I go somewhere where the women outnumber the men, but it turns out all the women are unattractive, that's not going to make me think better of myself.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:36 PM

31,089 posts, read 22,143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Oh please. Just because the numbers are in your favor doesn't mean you're going to end up with a bloated ego. If I go somewhere where the women outnumber the men, but it turns out all the women are unattractive, that's not going to make me think better of myself.
I took a sociology class and one of the assignments was to look at violent crime statistics and male/female ratios. Whenever it was skewed from "50/50" in the direction of more males by much the the violent crime statistics went up dramatically.

I lived in a town that was 60/40 male female when I was younger and you would have thought that it was 90/10. There were more bar fights that were about woman than any place Ive ever been. Needless to say I also dated below my paygrade wrt to Attitude and Attractiveness. It was a vaery bad year!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:44 PM

369 posts, read 618,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I took a sociology class and one of the assignments was to look at violent crime statistics and male/female ratios. Whenever it was skewed from "50/50" in the direction of more males by much the the violent crime statistics went up dramatically.

I lived in a town that was 60/40 male female when I was younger and you would have thought that it was 90/10. There were more bar fights that were about woman than any place Ive ever been. Needless to say I also dated below my paygrade wrt to Attitude and Attractiveness. It was a vaery bad year!
Means that a man needs a wife.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 AM

615 posts, read 1,376,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmon7 View Post
Young women rule the dating scene and pick and choose who they want to be with. Then it flip flops in older age groups and men are more in the position to pick and choose. It's not fair but who ever said life is fair.
In the late 1980's (I was in my early 20's at the time) I was living in Boca Raton, Florida, and I recall reading a newspaper article about the dating scene at retirement communities in Florida. It was highly favorable to men in those communities. One man boasted he had dates with around 100 women in one year. However, this was in retirement communities where the youngest people were around 60.

I have been unable to find a girlfriend or wife over the years, and since 1990 I have been living in the western USA, mostly in Colorado and Arizona and a couple of other western cities for a short period of time. I have usually experienced more men than women in my social circles, even in social organizations such as church groups which traditionally have had more appeal to women than men.

Could I improve my chances of finding a girlfriend and getting married if I moved to another region of the USA?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM

112 posts, read 192,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hah, this reminds me of fishing around here. You can go to the local lake that is packed with guys all the time and is entirely fished out.....OR....I go to a park up north, walk 3/4 mile on a trail and fish a secluded section of river where I catch fish every single time I go.

Guys and gals of different ages if frustrated with their dating should seriously take a step back and consider WHERE and HOW they are looking.
I think this is one of the most insightful posts in this thread.

The ones who cite online dating sites as proof there are too many men are clearly not taking into account how many women are comfortable using this technology. I'm equally dubious about bars.

When I was a church goer, there were lots of women there. I'm sure denomination matters.

I'm not sure where the 'neutral zone' would be for all cities. That is, the one location where people of all genders go that would indicate whether a particular city is biased in one gender or another. Political parties? Vounteer groups? I don't know.

As to skewing the results, I was reading in Tom Harford's book, The Logic of Life where he cites psychological experiments/studies on dating to extrapolate that a small change in m/f balance significantly alters the expectations of both groups(mentioned earlier). One group gets pickier and the other lowers their standards.

However, he mentions the incarceration rates of America as a factor that significantly altars that balance. Incarceration is regional just like immigration so these trends should play a part but only locally. I've always thought government towns like Ottawa and DC attracted more women. I've never been to DC but Ottawa had good pickin's 20 years ago.

As the book, The Millionaire Next Door says, you need to find a target rich environment. When you happen upon a bad environment, don't be too quick to say they are all bad. It could be that your chosen location is not good for that region.

On the other hand, with some research and field experiments, you might find that a career move would be more productive.

Good luck y'all!

WC

Old 05-12-2011, 01:33 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,587,752 times
No matter what the ratios are there will always be a shortage of women.

Men simply want women waaaaaay more than women want men...

Old 05-12-2011, 03:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
Quote:
Man Shortage or Woman Shortage?
While there are certainly areas in which there more individuals of one gender than the other the Census Bureau, which is the most reliable source of information regarding population in America indicates that the numbers overall are about equal although women do tend to live a little longer than men. There's really not a situation anywhere where the slight differences in the population of men versus women could be referred to as a shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships