Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times

Advertisements

Seriously...everyone I know goes crazy over this holiday, but I don't think there's anything special about the one day that the greeting card companies encourage people to be romantic. I think that if you love someone, you should be romantic as much as possible and show them how important they are every day, not just on this one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I hate it when I'm single and like it when I'm not single :P

I do agree with your sentiments though. Still, it's nice to do a little something extra-special.

Now, Singles Awareness Day is a respectable holiday.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I was wondering when the annual "I hate V-day" thread would appear. Earlier than usual this year, I think.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I was wondering when the annual "I hate V-day" thread would appear. Earlier than usual this year, I think.
Guilty as charged

Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Yeah, I do very much. Really corny and commercial and its not only because I'm single, I've always hated this stupid "holiday".

Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Seriously...everyone I know goes crazy over this holiday, but I don't think there's anything special about the one day that the greeting card companies encourage people to be romantic. I think that if you love someone, you should be romantic as much as possible and show them how important they are every day, not just on this one day.
I agree in theory, but you can apply the same reasoning and think, "Why celebrate someone's birthday? Why celebrate Mother's Day or Father's Day?" I mean ... do we really need the 4th of July? Or Thanksgiving ... we should be thankful every day, shouldn't we? And we don't really need all those calories anyway, right?

It's a day of celebration, a day that reminds people to do something, whether it's to say, "I love you, Mom," or say thank you to some veterans. Do some people go way overboard with it? Sure.

We generally view flowers as a waste of money in our household, but I would love to have a bouquet of roses once in a while.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Guilty as charged
Hey, someone had to do it.

I don't get all hepped up about V-day. I do like to get my guy a card, but that's about it. Heck I was off skiing last year on V-day...left him home alone.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
I don't really hate the holiday, I just think its stupid. Usually the guys I've dated took it way more seriously than I did! hah!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Meh... I could take it or leave it. I don't know why one day is dedicated to telling the person in your life that you love them. Ya know? I like it for kids, I think it's fun when your kids are small to do the whole Vday thing but as adults, if someone wants to get me flowers, or a card or chocolate, I don't want one day a year dictacting that behavior.

I'm convinced that Valentines Day was made for me, since they forget birthdays, anniversaries, etc.. its easy. One day and it's advertises for two months ahead of time LOL JUST kidding.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
A lot of people hate, or have little use for, Valentine's Day. My only real problem is that it's a Hallmark Holiday where people, mostly men, are viewed as obligated to make a purchase for a loved one. What makes this day more special than others? That's what I want to know. Birthdays, religious holidays - these I understand but not Hallmark crap.

That said I would still get something for my s/o if I had one if only to avoid being in the doghouse. But I'd much prefer to get her something on a whim, because I want to and not because I feel obligated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships