Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 AM

14 posts, read 66,680 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, you're absolutely right. A lot of 50 year old women are bitter and have a less than positive outlook on life - BUT - not all of us do. Just make sure you don't let these experiences turn you into a bitter, women-hating man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Wizeguy - NY Annie is giving great advice. I have heaps of female friends in your preferred age range who are happily living their lives, are not bitter, not out looking for dates, but more than willing to explore the opportunities should a good man come their way.
And I was just reading a book the other night by a woman who travels around the world by herself and she said that she's met plenty of women who do this, but very few middle age men who travel independently. So if you do this, you have the age group to yourself and women who travel are probably too busy to be bitter.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:14 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,152 times
I'm in my late 40's and have been divorced almost 20 yrs. I won't rag on and on about my ex..... that was history ago. Do I have a rather jaded attitude towards men? Yep.... not because of the marriage/divorce but because of the guy's I dated!!!!

If one more man makes a comment about women only wanting them for their money, or I only want them for their money, I might go postal.

There was the guy that was fresh out of a divorce. He owned next to nothing, but when he walked into my home and saw the decorating..... he chimed "you sure do like to spend money". I chimed back.. "this is everything I own WITHOUT a man's help!!! and I'm debt free!!!"

Then there was the guy with the fancy house and fancy car and fancy toys, and a wallet full of credit cards. He made a similar comment about women only wanting men for their money. I retorted.... " I paid CASH for MY home. Did you? I paid CASH for MY car. Did you? I am DEBT FREE. Are you?" He never returned.

Sadenly.... somehow potential relationships have become all about $$$. Quite frankly, I'm fed-up.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Take a cruise, YES alone. Take one of the theme cruises on a topic like adventure novels. Join a spelunking club or sky diving, the Power Squadron (boating), become a library volunteer, trake a college course. Do NOT look for a woman to date. Look to make friends. I bet you'll meet a whole new group of people.
I agree with this. Stop dating or trying to date. It's a little difficult, yes, to have to face that you may never meet someone, but that doesn't mean you should just stop living.

I stopped dating a number of years ago after post-divorce dating because, similar to you, I kept meeting the same "types"; in my case, alcoholics, even when it didn't seem at first that they were. I know there is something about ME that attracts only those types of men, just as there is something about you that is attracting the bitter, unhappy women. I don't know what to do about that and I probably never will figure it out. It just dawned on me one day that no non-addicted person has ever been interested in me, and that's the way it is, and so I know I must not allow myself to be in a relationship ever again.

I decided to do things alone and enjoy my own company. I've gone to the movies alone, dinner alone, museums and other local events alone, Atlantic City alone. Recently I've branched out a little more beyond myself and joined a writer's group that meets monthly, which works out well. Writers come in all ages and types of people and we all have stories to tell, so that is a social setting I can be comfortable in.

So, learn to enjoy your own company first, then find some kind of "specialty" social setting where you can just be you. Perhaps you will meet someone to have a relationship with and perhaps you won't, but your life can still be full, and you may find out things about yourself you never knew!

Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I'm in my late 40's and have been divorced almost 20 yrs. I won't rag on and on about my ex..... that was history ago. Do I have a rather jaded attitude towards men? Yep.... not because of the marriage/divorce but because of the guy's I dated!!!!

If one more man makes a comment about women only wanting them for their money, or I only want them for their money, I might go postal.

There was the guy that was fresh out of a divorce. He owned next to nothing, but when he walked into my home and saw the decorating..... he chimed "you sure do like to spend money". I chimed back.. "this is everything I own WITHOUT a man's help!!! and I'm debt free!!!"

Then there was the guy with the fancy house and fancy car and fancy toys, and a wallet full of credit cards. He made a similar comment about women only wanting men for their money. I retorted.... " I paid CASH for MY home. Did you? I paid CASH for MY car. Did you? I am DEBT FREE. Are you?" He never returned.

Sadenly.... somehow potential relationships have become all about $$$. Quite frankly, I'm fed-up.
Oh, that is terrible and totally classless. Those guys should be more mature than that. Is this something new? That would be a date killer for me. But I usually never dated guys with money anyway so what could they say. Well there was the one dude who bragged about his single wide (truth, I swear), but he was young.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Five pages and no one gives this guy the obvious answer?

Get online, find a catalogue and pick out a nice Russian or Croatian greencard bride. Simple.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Take a cruise, YES alone. Take one of the theme cruises on a topic like adventure novels. Join a spelunking club or sky diving, the Power Squadron (boating), become a library volunteer, trake a college course. Do NOT look for a woman to date. Look to make friends. I bet you'll meet a whole new group of people.
I see your point, but if he is around American women, it really does not work because American women rarely approach men unless they need something.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:56 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizeguy1032 View Post
3 dogs she treated like kids.
Yea, I know that type. Stay away.

Quote:
Anyway I have started to date again and what I'm finding is that the women in my age range, 45-55, seem to all be very bitter about growing old and how they have been treated by men their whole life.
Why are you trying to date 45-55 year old women anyway when you have 25-35 year old women with less baggage who are looking to date a stable man like you?

And who cares if they are bitter that they are growing old, I bet half of them took **** poor care of their bodies when they were young.

Quote:
All i hear about is how terrible their ex's were and how they can't trust men.
***YAWN*** Who cares, they picked them and stayed with them so whatever happened after the fact is their fault.

Quote:
They have these totally unrealistic expectations now of what they want in a man and won't settle for anything less.
This is your average woman in 2011 so it's not exclusive to 40-50 year olds.

Quote:
it is almost like they want to be in a relationship in order to punish the guy for all the past sins men have committed against them.
Can you believe it? They were too weak to stand up to a person who was treating them like dirt, but all of the sudden they have a backbone when they get around the man who does them no harm.

Quote:
I just want some peace and a woman I can have a good time with. .
Maybe it's time I get a dog.
It will never happen. Yes, get the dog.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:11 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
LOL

I thought the title read old, bitter men, hating women.

There are plenty of old, happy women who would love a good man.
Ha! Those are exactly MY thoughts too.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Five pages and no one gives this guy the obvious answer?

Get online, find a catalogue and pick out a nice Russian or Croatian greencard bride. Simple.
Yes, great idea! They have absolutely no interest in your money or in using you for a green card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships