Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:56 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,813,243 times

Advertisements

Get a robot and pretend thats your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
I have heard the opposite, that American men are MORE family oriented and ready to settle down than men from many cultures. Of course, I haven't traveled/lived enough places to say if this is true, but it's what I've heard from a lot of people.

I find it amusing that the same day, or the next day after this thread was created, another woman created a thread with the opposite problem: all the men she was dating wanted to start a family lol.
American culture as a whole is pretty family oriented, despite the fact that more people are choosing not to have children.

I would like to know which region is more or less family oriented whether it's in the West, South, Midwest, or Northeast.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 AM

378 posts, read 577,060 times
I want kids.
But separation has made family life impossible so far.
Three kids with a woman who is refusing to let me see them.
She filled me with lies about how she loves me and how we will be a family.
I am hoping to meet a nice woman who wants to have kids with me.
A woman who really wants a family.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
American culture as a whole is pretty family oriented, despite the fact that more people are choosing not to have children.

I would like to know which region is more or less family oriented whether it's in the West, South, Midwest, or Northeast.
American culture as family oriented? Its the opposite
Asian culture is family oriented.

If American culture was oriented then the parents would not kick thier children out after High School.

I notice that South is more family oriented then the West.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM

369 posts, read 772,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I'm sorry to say this but you're selfish. Children are supposed to be a gift and a joy, not a burden. You don't ever hear parents say they regret having their kids do you? But you occasionally hear childless people say they regret NOT having had kids. I personally believe that childless people lead lonely lives later on in life.

The Ann Landers "Do you regret having children" survey - The Debate Team - BabyCenter
Number of childless American women in their 40s has risen sharply since 1970s

Hate being a mom | Secret Confessions

Not wanting children does not mean one is selfish. Many of us who have made that choice contribute far more to the community than people ever suspect. I've received awards for over 8000 hours donated.

I also know many "unselfish" parents expect people without children to drop everything in their life to support their choice to have kids.

As for lonely when your old, well I've seen far to many elderly people abandoned in absolute holes of nursing homes by those children who were supposed to be there for them. It didn't happen. I've made far to many child and elder abuse reports in my career to buy that parents don't regret it and that kids will keep you from being lonely when you're old.

Having children doesn't automatically create selflessness and sainthood. Being childfree doesn't make you selfish and carefree.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:53 PM

369 posts, read 772,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah! I didn't play with dolls, either (although I favored reading and drawing over building things).

Yet, EVEN SO, I hope to at some point become a parent.

Actually, at age 6, I thought I might be a veterinarian or a ballerina. Those convictions didn't last. It's hard to imagine a life where my six-year old convictions were accurate predictors of future wants and goals.
At 6 I said I didn't want kids. Of course people laughed. At 16 I said the same thing and got some of the same grief City data's getting. At 26 I said the same thing and was told all young men say that. At 36 I said the same thing and people said I'd change my mind. At 46 some rude old bat told me I should dump my wife and find a "young chickie to have babies with. "

Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
American culture as family oriented? Its the opposite
Asian culture is family oriented.

If American culture was oriented then the parents would not kick thier children out after High School.

I notice that South is more family oriented then the West.
I don't know. In some parts of the US, people (particularly Latinos, Italians, and Asians) stay with their parents well past 18.

I thought the Latin culture was family oriented too.

I guess my assumption of American culture being family oriented was because a lot of people have children due to societal or family pressures, as well by the government. American society seems to have a problem with childfree married couples.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I don't know. In some parts of the US, people (particularly Latinos, Italians, and Asians) stay with their parents well past 18.

I thought the Latin culture was family oriented too.

I guess my assumption of American culture being family oriented was because a lot of people have children due to societal or family pressures, as well by the government. American society seems to have a problem with childfree married couples.
I am an South Asian who know both American and the Asian culture.

Infact, the kids stay with parents even after they are married and have kids. Latin culture is family oriented.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverangel View Post
They are having vasectomies before settling down at all?
Yep... Thats what I did back in 2008.. I was about 29 at the time.

I have always known I did not want kids.. didn't want to be "spreading my seed" out there

Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,122,326 times
I'd be open to having children with the right woman Whether I want to produce children the traditional way or adopt is up in the air right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships