Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I'm not going to waste my time making a graph just to prove a point.

The only statistical site? I linked 3.
'No, sweetie, only one was statistical. I just hate to see you wasting your time repeating the same thing over and over again when a different presentation might solve the whole comprehension problem that so many seem to be cursed with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
So, why is my simple post turning into a discussion about finances, whether you can afford kids, college, age, demographics, etc? I just simply asked lightheartedly if there were any single men out there who want kids? Seems to have gotten way off topic about 20 pages ago.

*and what is "being on the dole"? I've never heard this comment before?
Being on 'the dole' means public assistance or welfare.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
'No, sweetie, only one was statistical. I just hate to see you wasting your time repeating the same thing over and over again when a different presentation might solve the whole comprehension problem that so many seem to be cursed with.
Only one has "statistics" in the name. But the other 2 are from a teen pregnancy expert and NYC Social Services. I think those are reliable sources.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Yes, I did click onto them. As I said, the one which was statistical is reliant on sources over ten years old. I just thought that maybe you could put together something more recent based on your own knowledge and that of professionals in the field. It just seems such a shame that you have to expend so much energy proving your points due to the inability of lesser mortals to grasp what to you seems very simple and logical.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Quote:
So, why is my simple post turning into a discussion about finances, whether you can afford kids, college, age, demographics, etc? I just simply asked lightheartedly if there were any single men out there who want kids? Seems to have gotten way off topic about 20 pages ago.

*and what is "being on the dole"? I've never heard this comment before?
Yes? I'm one of them?

Although I wouldn't immediately ask the question: "Do you want kids?" extremely early like if you're still dating the guy and unsure if you want to be with that person for an extended period of time.

I know there's some women out there that are like this, though. I've had a date with a woman who, on the first date, said "I'm looking for a man who wants to have kids. He has to want to have kids!" Keep in mind, I was young then, and still am(29) and she wasn't too much older than I was. For me, it was a complete turn off, not because I wasn't interested in kids, but I was starting to feel a connection with her, yet I knew that I wasn't emotionally ready for children, and it became a deal-breaker really quick. She didn't mention it, but I got the impression that she had either snapped from previous relationships, or her organs wasn't going to be active much longer(disease maybe?).

Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Although I wouldn't immediately ask the question: "Do you want kids?" extremely early like if you're still dating the guy and unsure if you want to be with that person for an extended period of time.

I know there's some women out there that are like this, though. I've had a date with a woman who, on the first date, said "I'm looking for a man who wants to have kids. He has to want to have kids!" Keep in mind, I was young then, and still am(29) and she wasn't too much older than I was. For me, it was a complete turn off, not because I wasn't interested in kids, but I was starting to feel a connection with her, yet I knew that I wasn't emotionally ready for children, and it became a deal-breaker really quick. She didn't mention it, but I got the impression that she had either snapped from previous relationships, or her organs wasn't going to be active much longer(disease maybe?).
Makes me wonder if this isn't a consequence of the prevalence of online dating sites. From there, you can go date shopping, indicating by a series of yes/no answers of what you are looking for in a person. Rather than having to meet the person and feel them out on pertinent qualifications, you can discard them before even getting to the face-to-face hello. This creates a rollover effect to real life where the first date is more like an interview. Takes a lot of fun out of life, but people claim to be so busy and stressed these days there doesn't seem to be as much leisure to give time to new acquaintances.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Quote:
Bringing it back on topic ...

Judging from this article, you probably won't have an easy time finding a guy who wants kids (or more kids if he is already a father) in New Jersey or New Zealand

The No-Baby Boom: Critical Eye : Details

Quote:
The vasectomy business seems to be one of the few in America that is booming. In the past year, the Associates in Urology clinic in West Orange, New Jersey, has seen a 50 percent jump in the procedure.

And the sheep-to-human ratio in New Zealand, which currently stands at 10 to 1, seems sure to increase, since a staggering 18 percent of adult men there have elected to get vasectomies.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:31 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Makes me wonder if this isn't a consequence of the prevalence of online dating sites. From there, you can go date shopping, indicating by a series of yes/no answers of what you are looking for in a person. Rather than having to meet the person and feel them out on pertinent qualifications, you can discard them before even getting to the face-to-face hello. This creates a rollover effect to real life where the first date is more like an interview. Takes a lot of fun out of life, but people claim to be so busy and stressed these days there doesn't seem to be as much leisure to give time to new acquaintances.
I call it laziness, really. It's what I call the "I'm too stressed" part at least.

I love women. All shapes and sizes. To me it's definitely what's inside that counts moreso than looks, although I would be lying if, at one point in my life, I judged women on looks more. If I approached a woman and asked her for a date, whether casual or more intimate, you bet I'd make sure I'd work to have time to talk to her in person. It's really easy to communicate on the internet or through texting, but if get someone in person communicating, it's a completely different scenario, as they may feel awkward describing themselves. What they don't understand is it's awkward for everybody, and for me(in this example) it probably took a lot of courage to ask out said person, as I've found it's way easier to say "OK" or feed me a line or push me away.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Get back on topic please. Hijacking the thread is against our Terms of Service. Please report post rather than respond to hijacked posts.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,020 times
I agree that you shouldn't ask this in the first meeting, but I've had men ask me if I want kids so early on, and I feel like it's a "test". Why can men ask this so early, but women can't? I hate feeling trapped into answering. What do they want me to say? Or, they tell me they've had a V within the first moments of a conversation. It's very awkward.

What are the timing rules of asking if someone wants kids or not? why are the rules different for men and women? I don't want to waste my time with a guy who doesn't want kids or has had a V. But I don't want the guy to ask me if I want kids in the first meeting either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Yes? I'm one of them?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships