Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 03:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I may not be a real celebrity, but I'm a city data celebrity. And you never know what the future holds. Don't write off the possibility of me being a celebrity someday.
If the book I'm publishing gets optioned for a film, I'll let you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,626 times
You interested in moving?? Ha, ha, just kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
On one of my first dates here in San Francisco, the lady asked me if I liked kids and wanted them someday.

I told her I did, indeed, love children, and that I'd basically raised my sister who's 13 years younge, and that yeah... someday, it'd be nice. Not any time soon, but it'd certainly be nice.

She told me that I'd probably "think differently if I was the one to carry and birth the child," which I thought was funny, inasmuch as every child ever born has been to a woman, and the vast many of those women made some decision, in some way or another, to carry and birth that child. Not wanting to start a fight about patriarchy or gender roles, I just sort of let her continue admonishing me for wanting to have a kid when there were so many perfectly good adoptable ones out there.

Never had a second date

That, though, has been another recurring theme... most of the women here I've met who do want a kid want to adopt. Which is fine. I'd prefer to have one of my own.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
I didn't read all 18 pages, but my simple answer is yes, I still want kids. I'm 42 years old and got divorced (a divorce I didn't want) 2 years ago, and I'm hoping its not too late. I'm a man, but still, I didn't want to be an old Dad. Too late now, if I do become one.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,718 times
have had vasectomies ...
though how to get child !!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Lately it seems that I've met a few guys that unfortunately (for me) have had vasectomies.
My question is, are there any guys left out there that still want kids? (and get married?)
The guy you are describing is definitely out there, so I guess all I can venture is that you are looking in the wrong places? I know it's cliche but on-line dating is a good way to lay it all out there about what you want instead of meeting random guys and then finding out they are perfect....except on some critical deal breaker.

Best of luck.

P.S. I had this done after my youngest was born. I think it's hard to get a doc to perform this operation if you are a younger guy w\o kids....but not 100% sure.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM

you're only as old as you feel. IMO. You interested in moving? Ok, really I am just kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I didn't read all 18 pages, but my simple answer is yes, I still want kids. I'm 42 years old and got divorced (a divorce I didn't want) 2 years ago, and I'm hoping its not too late. I'm a man, but still, I didn't want to be an old Dad. Too late now, if I do become one.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Hey! Good to hear from you! I don't agree about the online thing. I have never had any luck and I have tried it at different times. When a guy says anything other than "yes" when the site asks if he wants kids, then it means he doesn't. I see a lot of "undecided" or "open" or "prefer not to say" or "will tell you later". All these answers tell me "NO" he does NOT want kids.
Also, I think people lie or misrepresent themselves on their profiles. They say they are interested in certain things, then when you ask them about it, they don't have any suggestions or can't name a restaurant they like, etc. So frustrating! I'm beginning to think I should just give up hope when it comes to finding love or someone to share life with. I guess I can always get some cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The guy you are describing is definitely out there, so I guess all I can venture is that you are looking in the wrong places? I know it's cliche but on-line dating is a good way to lay it all out there about what you want instead of meeting random guys and then finding out they are perfect....except on some critical deal breaker.

Best of luck.

P.S. I had this done after my youngest was born. I think it's hard to get a doc to perform this operation if you are a younger guy w\o kids....but not 100% sure.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally believe that childless people lead lonely lives later on in life.
Yeah. Right. I'll keep that thought in mind the next time I put in my volunteer hours at the local senior care center - something I took up last year after going into semi-retirement. One of my dogs completed her companion training and began to go with me a few weeks back. I spent most of my last visit with one woman who appropriated my little Anjin, asking if she could comb her and hold her in her lap. I agreed, even though there were other seniors who needed to be visited, because the staff member I coordinate my visits with took me aside and said that this was the woman's birthday and her kids didn't visit. In fact they hadn't been to visit in about 5 weeks (well, they did call in to check, saying they "didn't have the time" to visit), sending the old lady into a pretty deep depression.

Btw, I'm 51, my spouse is 60. We're childfree. I've found that people like you are more likely to be the ones for whom I have to be a surrogate family member to people in nursing homes. @ss

Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 PM

35 posts, read 113,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I'm sorry to say this but you're selfish. Children are supposed to be a gift and a joy, not a burden. You don't ever hear parents say they regret having their kids do you? But you occasionally hear childless people say they regret NOT having had kids. I personally believe that childless people lead lonely lives later on in life.
Wow. You are so wrong. Check out this:

Hate being a mom | Secret Confessions

It has more entries than any other subject. You will frequently read moms stating how they regret having had children.

Do you think anyone would ever come out to your face and say that she/he regrets having kids??
Well, now that I think about it, I've had 3 people tell me they regret it, in roundabout ways:

" If I knew then, what I know now, I don't know that I would've done it."

"No, I don't think my life has more meaning because of the kids. It just means that I've had to give up my life and dreams and instead think of them all the time, from the second I wake up."

"You don't want kids? Well, I don't blame you. You know what they say. Misery loves company."

These were all said to me by VERY responsible loving hard-working moms, one of whom is my best friend, one is a co-worker, and the other went to nursing school with me.

So much for your faulty theory.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:52 PM

35 posts, read 113,345 times
Oh, and I'm really sick of hearing about how some wild bar-hopping party animals began acting like responsible caring adults once they got married and had kids. That's great, but Hello!! That's what you are SUPPOSED TO DO if you decide to bring a child into this world. That's not a cause for sainthood. And I know many caring intelligent hard-working individuals who don't have children or don't want to have children —— and they are that way out of their own volition, not because they got knocked up/knocked someone else up and were FORCED to start acting like adults.
The other thing I'm SO SICK of people saying is, "Well, who's gonna take care of you when you're old?" Really???? How selfish is that? Ever heard of long-term care insurance instead of already burdening your child, who you chose to bring into the world?

And I work with a largely geriatric population. Most of them have had children, and it seems that the ones who seem the "loneliest" are the ones who have lost his/her spouse, regardless of whether or not they have had children. (BTW, a lot of the kids live out-of-state, as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships