Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Mine too.
Mine three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
Mine three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Mine too.
Glad to see some posters understand my point of view.

A lot of the posters have a hard time understanding just how life-ruining a kid can be.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
At least you admitted you're wrong.
I'm not even going there kiddo..

Maybe in a few years you'll look back and see...and realise what a ....anyway...I'm out...this is so f**ked up.

Relationships Forum has made me truly understand how the human race is.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
Respectfully, I knew I did not wanted to have kids by age 6. While my sisters were playing house, I was playing meccanos (like legos). No interest in dolls or babies EVER.

I always knew i did not want to become a mother.
Hah! I didn't play with dolls, either (although I favored reading and drawing over building things).

Yet, EVEN SO, I hope to at some point become a parent.

Actually, at age 6, I thought I might be a veterinarian or a ballerina. Those convictions didn't last. It's hard to imagine a life where my six-year old convictions were accurate predictors of future wants and goals.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah! I didn't play with dolls, either (although I favored reading and drawing over building things).

Yet, EVEN SO, I hope to at some point become a parent.

Actually, at age 6, I thought I might be a veterinarian or a ballerina. Those convictions didn't last. It's hard to imagine a life where my six-year old convictions were accurate predictors of future wants and goals.
If my six-year-old convictions still held true, I'd be a semi-truck-driving, guitar playing rockstar race car driver who was in the Army and had hair like Vanilla Ice. No joke.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
With all of the kids out there for adoption due to other irresponsible people and considering the risk of your new child having some kind of crippling life condition scares the **** out of me. I don't think I will have children. Maybe I'll adopt. Maybe.
Not for nothing, it's important that people realize that an extremely LARGE percentage of children available for adoption and fostering have significant disabilities, delays, emotional problems, and are at risk for same. Many people relinquish children who have disabilities and emotional and behavioral disorders, and they go into the system to be fostered and adopted out. Basically, if you're not willing/able to live with the reality that any child you have, be it one you mother or father biologically or one you adopt, could be or become sick or disabled, you're not ready to be a parent.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If my six-year-old convictions still held true, I'd be a semi-truck-driving, guitar playing rockstar race car driver who was in the Army and had hair like Vanilla Ice. No joke.
Seriously. I think another ambition of mine was to live in a Smurf village.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Seriously. I think another ambition of mine was to live in a Smurf village.
Oh, yeah, you go back a couple more years and I think I wanted to be a Transformer - I thought it'd be badass to be able to turn into a VW Bus and give my friends and family a lift around town.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I wanted a pet tiger.

Interestingly, though, having kids is one of the only things aside from being a race car driver I've continued to want to do my whole life.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Yeah, I've never really questioned it, either. I've questioned if I would be at a place in my own life where I'd be ready to do AND have it coincide with my body's capabilities, though. This is where the adoption thoughts come in. But I've never doubted that I'd find raising a child to be rewarding. My career working with severely disabled children has helped serve to strengthen my conviction that it's something I definitely want for myself.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Not for nothing, it's important that people realize that an extremely LARGE percentage of children available for adoption and fostering have significant disabilities, delays, emotional problems, and are at risk for same. Many people relinquish children who have disabilities and emotional and behavioral disorders, and they go into the system to be fostered and adopted out. Basically, if you're not willing/able to live with the reality that any child you have, be it one you mother or father biologically or one you adopt, could be or become sick or disabled, you're not ready to be a parent.
If I had a kid and it was disabled... I'd have a kid who was disabled. I don't think I could live with myself if I made the decision to have a child with someone I cared about, went through with that decision with that person, and then gave that child up because I realized after the fact that it wasn't going to be as easy as I thought. One of my uncles said of parenthood, "no matter how much you prepare, or how prepared you think you are, it's never enough. You're never prepared."

If it turned out that my child would never walk and so we would need to buy a van and house to accomodate the realities of their being wheelchair-bound... so be it. If my son or daughter was autistic or mildly retarded and would need much more attention and time to gain life skills - or, perhaps, never would - then so be it. You can't go back and change reality, and as a man, I will own up to the situation I've helped create and do what's necessary for it to have the best outcome. I understand that some people would never want to take on the risk, and I'd never fault them for that.

Still doesn't deter me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships