Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times

Advertisements

Its JUST a saying, I think you are putting too much stock into words...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,872 times
I'm not looking for it either, even though I want it. I'm not getting any younger, and want a family. But at the same time, I've almost given up after my divorce. Plus, my career has sort of fallen apart. So why bother to look? A woman is going to look at me and think I'm not financially stable (I sort of am, but far from rich) and run the other way. I mean, whats the point? Maybe I'm just jaded.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 PM

122 posts, read 278,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
...but if you're not looking, how will you know it's there?

I have a problem with that saying because, well, it doesn't apply to anything else. I don't get an "A" on an exam when I'm not trying for it, I don't get a promotion when I'm not trying for it. So why don't you get love when you try for it?
Well I don't know. I thought that would be the way I would find love. Yet it wasn't, I looked and found it.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM

334 posts, read 528,806 times
Hey Atlguy, if you and the other Atl-area folks ever get together, let me know. Maybe we can all do dinner or something one night.

Anyway, IRT the OP, I think of it like this (coincidentally, this just happened to me a few minutes ago... lol): you're looking for your brown belt and can't find it anywhere. You know it's got to be here because you wore it a couple of weeks ago, and plus... I mean, where else could it be. It's here somewhere! So you spend a couple of hours looking for this elusive belt and finally give up. You decide to wear the pants with no belt... and you're heading out the door when you see the belt hanging off the ironing board.

The moment you stopped looking for it is when you see it. You recognize it because it's what you've been looking for and hoping to find all this time.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,646,893 times
Like I said.... when I'm not looking I won't find it........ PROMISE! Coming from someone who only works with men and that's all I hang around. No chicks allowed!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:

I have a problem with that saying because, well, it doesn't apply to anything else. I don't get an "A" on an exam when I'm not trying for it, I don't get a promotion when I'm not trying for it. So why don't you get love when you try for it?
I've never really put much stock into that. I think if you aren't at least mentally and emotionally prepared for the idea, it isn't going to happen.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've never really put much stock into that. I think if you aren't at least mentally and emotionally prepared for the idea, it isn't going to happen.
I am, or at least I like to think I am... I'm just getting tired of not having someone there.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,315,455 times
It is just a saying....and like many others there is very little truth to it. I think whoever made that saying was trying to say, "Get busy, get a life, and then, people will be attracted to you"....but I could be all wrong.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,476,176 times
Quote:

This is my interpretation: If you center your life around finding a girlfriend, it won't happen. Because you can't just "get a girlfriend." A girlfriend is something that has to come naturally.

But I don't think the saying is true. I'm content to be single now, so I'm not looking for a girlfriend. If the saying was true, I would have a girlfriend now (or at least a girl would show interest in me).

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
It is just a saying....and like many others there is very little truth to it. I think whoever made that saying was trying to say, "Get busy, get a life, and then, people will be attracted to you"....but I could be all wrong.
That's how I interpret it for the most part. But then it poses the question - what if you get so busy you don't have time for anything else, yknow? Like that's kind of how I'm feeling right now. I've got so much stuff to do for college that even if I did have the nuts to ask a girl out on a date, I wouldn't have the time (or much money honestly) to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships